Epcot Illuminations preshow music - update

JCMagic

There have been a couple of recent inquiries on RADP about the Illuminations preshow music. Steve Soares posted another incomplete list that had some new titles to investigate...
[pre]
Artist Song Country Origin

1. Yehuda Poliko Dancing Barefoot Isreal
2. Seelyhoo Folk n Hell (CD Title) Scotland/UK
3. Nakai Mo Combo Gumbo N. America
4. unknown
5. Barrage The Concertina Set Scotland/UK
6. unknown
7. Seelyhoo Bumely Brea Scotland/UK
8. unknown
9. Cusco Inca Dance S. America
10. unknown [/pre]

So far only one hit: "The Concertina Set" is not Barrage but rather the Scottish group Burach. I found an MP3 and it's a positive match for track 5 of the Illuminations preshow music (the one with the same traditional theme as "Strings of Fire"). It's on their CD "The Weird Set."

Google returns nothing for "Yehuda Poliko," but "Yehuda Poliker" seems to have a good catalog. His song titles aren't usually listed in English though, which makes it difficult to search (anyone know the Hebrew translation for "Dancing Barefoot"?).

I found a couple of samples of "Mo Combo Gumbo" and concluded that it's not the right track. However, it does sound like track 3 could be something else by R. Carlos Nakai. (Which possibly narrows it down to a couple dozen albums.)

I was surprised to see another Seelyhoo title listed as track 7. For one thing, track 7 in the current playlist is Cusco's "Montezuma," so let's assume this could be track 8. The title of the Seelyhoo track is actually "Brumely Brae," or to be complete, "Mick's Knitted Triplets/Brumely Brae/Jenny's Chickens," which is on "The First Caul" CD. The music in the 30 second clip on Amazon is much too fast for track 8. And last time CaptNemo posted that his "First Caul" CD contained no other pre-Illuminations tracks. So, this one doesn't seem too promising.

Anyway, here's the running tally:[pre]
1. unknown

2. "Superwasp/Along The Coast Of Norway/Neckbuster" by Seelyhoo
The First Caul (Seelyhoo 1996)
Folk N Hell: Fiery New Music from Scotland (various artists 1997)

3. unknown

4. "Flute Battle" by Cusco
Apurimac (Cusco 1988)
The Best of Cusco (Cusco 1997)
Higher Octave Collection (various artists 1994)

5. "The Concertina Set" by Burach
The Weird Set (Burach 1995)

6. "Imeland" by Groupa
Imeland (Groupa 1995)
Fifteen Years (Groupa 1998)
Nordic Roots: Northside Sampler (various artists 1998)

7. "Montezuma" by Cusco
Apurimac II (Cusco 1994)
Return to Ancient America (Cusco 1994)
The Best of Cusco (Cusco 1997)
Higher Octave Collection 2 (various artists 1995)
As in Music So in Life (various artists 1996)
The Best New Age, Volume 5 (various artists 1997)
Instrumental Moods (various artists 1998)
Pure Moods II (various artists 1998)
The Moods Series box set (various artists 1999)

8. unknown

9. "Inca Dance" by Cusco
Apurimac (Cusco 1988)

10. unknown[/pre]

Six down, four to go. Yehuda and Nakai seem like possible leads for tracks 1 and 3. Track 8 does sound similar to the Scottish vibe of Seelyhoo, but if not Seely then who? ;D No idea on track 10, which sounds sort of like a western movie score, orchestral in places (this track is the least familiar in my mind, and my recording of it is very poor).

Here's "The Concertina Set" for anyone who's interested:
http://mickeyavenue.com/files/mp3/Burach%2...rtina%20Set.mp3

Justin

TTiiMM

Thanks, Justin, for the information and the file. I too saw that post in RADP, and came to the conclusion that "Mo'combo Gumbo" is not a part of the loop. I started to listen to the tracks available on CDUniverse for Carlos Nakai. I gave up. They all start to sound alike after a while. :) I agree that his music is most likely a part of the loop.

If anyone wants two live recordings and the studio recordings of the known tracks, please check out a little webpage I put together some time ago.

http://ttiimm.web1000.com/

Timothy

sds910

All:

If someone can supply live reference recordings of selections 8 & 10 from the loop please contact me.

Timothy - I did read your post - I'm sure you realize this, but for the benefit of those who'll think *I* can't read -- the live recordings on his page only cover the first seven selections. I realize that anything beyond that gets tricky, as the amount of the loop that gets played over the PA system on any given evening greatly depends on several variables such as what time the sun sets and which live acts are booked to perform at what time that afternoon. Very often, the full loop is *not* played prior to RoE.

I feel that the info presented here by Justin may give us some very good leads on the whereabouts of cuts 1 and 3... it's those last two that remain truly elusive.

Steve

JCMagic

CaptNemo

I can confirm that live Track 8 provided by Justin is NOT Brumely Brae. Justin's live track is in a quick 3 and Brumely Brae is a quick 2.

I'm just as sorry to not have the track identified as anyone else.

Is it just me or does Track 10 sound like Aaron Copland? I know I've heard the first part of it before (I think Appalachian Spring), but it is a different arrangement.

How about some of our classical listeners check out the link for Track 10?

FWIW: I just listened to Folk 'N Hell CD again and Justin's live Track 8 is not on there either.

sds910

Great news guys -- I have a positive ID on at least the proper song title if not the recording for track 10. It is "Appalachian Morning". A recording of the piece using a different arrangement (by The Paul Winter Consort) plays at the Wilderness Lodge. I'm currently listening to an online sample of a John Williams recording of it from his 1992 release "Green Album" and wondering if we have a direct hit or not. According to CDDB, there are precious few discs bearing this title...

Take a listen to this at http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/pro...ean=74644822427 and see what you think...

Steve

sds910

Further research indicates that the composer of "Appalachian Morning" was a member of the Paul Winter Consort -- the only cover version I can find (let alone with an arrangement similar to the one on Justin's live recording) is the one by John Williams & The Boston Pops on "The Green Album". Ladies and gentlemen, I think we're at 7 down, 3 to go...

Steve

Nicko1984

I just downloaded the song (Appalachian Morning) from John Williams & The Boston Pops and yes it is the same one as in the live recording! Good Job!! And thanks! ;D :D

Nicholas

Epcot Bill

I know somebody must have tried this already but I'll ask anyway. Has anyone asked at Epcot Guest Relations if they can provide a list of the songs? I know they have lists for just about everything else.

sds910

Bill:

This list is not part of Guest Relations' available database. Part of the reason for that is that this is one of the few instances of pre-recorded music played at WDW that is not under the control or auspices of the usual group responsible for such things, Media Design. Rather, this music is under the control of the Epcot Live Entertainment division.

Believe me, inquiries have been made -- repeatedly -- to all channels possible. The results have been, quite obviously, less than informative.

Steve

sds910

8 Down, 2 To Go.

I can now VERIFY that Track 1 of the loop is Yehuda Poliker's "They Were Dancing Barefoot" from his CD release, "For Your Blue Eyes".

What a great week this has been ;)

Steve

JCMagic

Wow, Steve, you make it seem so easy! :) I'm particularly impressed that you've confirmed "They Were Dancing Barefoot." I'd given up on that search.

Anyone gone through all the Carlos Nakai samples at CDUniverse? Like Timothy was saying, it gets fairly tedious!

I've got the Burach CD now and made a higher quality MP3 of The Concertina Set (--alt-preset standard VBR) --
http://mickeyavenue.com/files/mp3/Burach%2...rtina%20Set.mp3

Also the Appalachian Morning track (not my rip, 128kbps) --
http://mickeyavenue.com/files/mp3/Boston%2...n%20Morning.mp3

Justin

sds910

Looks like #3 is *not* Nakai at all, according to a spokeswoman from his record company with whom the live recording has been shared... back to the drawing board for that & #8.

Steve

Dr. Know

Hey Tim

There seems to be something wrong with the Flute Battle mp3 -- it won't download from your site. I found it in your uploads folder in Popkid, downloaded it, and it won't play. ???

Dr. Know

Hey Tim

Same problem with your 19 mb live recording -- it won't play! I get a "No mp3 header" error message.

By the way, thanks to Time and everyone else for their great contributions to this thread! ;D