Disney's Record Labels

Zarpman

Perhaps someone out there can shed some light on this topic that has had me confused about how Disney uses its individual label companies to release music.

So, Disney has several record labels and I thought they were to identify and "classify" certain types of releases for marketing and merchandising purposes. "Walt Disney Records" is usually used to release music that is attached to a "Disney" universe. Examples are the Disney and Pixar animated film soundtracks, but also the theme park Official Albums and other properties such as Hannah Montana and High School Musical. "Hollywood Records" is usually assigned to artists that aren't necessarily a Disney property, such as tweeny-boppers Aly & AJ and the Jonas Brothers, as well as the Indigo Girls and Queen. There are some exceptions to these generalizations. The 2001 Official Album of Walt Disney World (and a few others) was released on Buena Vista Records, while previous and more recent albums were on Walt Disney Records. The latest Billy Ray Cyrus album was released under Walt Disney Records, while daughter Miley Cyrus's music performed outside of her Hannah Montana character is released under Hollywood Records.

My question is, what determines the label of the albums being released? Is it a contract with the artist (perhaps in the case of the Billy Ray Cyrus album), or the budget of the label that commissioned the release of the material (perhaps in the case of the varying Official Album releases)? Inquiring minds would like to know things other than what Bruce Broughton tracks are coming on the forthcoming Official Albums. :)

Zarpman

I forgot all about Lyric Street, which again perplexes me why Billy Ray Cyrus is on Walt Disney Records... I'm totally confused now.

Dirk

... just wanted to add something regarding HOLLYWOOD RECORDS: over the years Disney has also used to label to releas various soundtracks including "The Rocketeer", "The Rock" and to name a more recent one "Bridge to Terabithia".

Yours

Dirk

The best answer I can think of -- and Randy knows this better than I do -- is "all of the above." It has to do with market group, internal organization, contractual stuff, and so on. I do know that Walt Disney Records and Buena Vista Records are one area of the Disney Music Group, and Hollywood, Lyric Street, etc. are another department.

There was also a Touchstone label that the Roger Rabbit soundtrack first appeared on.