Disneyland Esplanade Christmas Music Loop (2008)

Club 33

Playlist Author
Hello all. With some encouragement from Horizons, I'll be trying to expand our coverage of the music of Disney West, the Disneyland Resort. In much the same way as he does, I'll be attempting to provide accurate listings and information about the music that plays at the resort.

So let's begin with a listing of the current Disneyland Esplanade Christmas Music Loop. This list was compiled from a reference recording made by CThaddeus of Rodentsections and expands upon work done by him and also by Tongoroa (you can view those posts here).

The loop runs 31:58.

1. Fanfare and Clock Parade (from the It's a Small World Holiday Official Soundtrack) (1:29)
2. It's a Small World Holiday Medley (edited from the It's a Small World Holiday Official Soundtrack) (3:25)
3. Holly Jolly Christmas (2:32)
4. Santa Claus is Coming to Town (2:47)
5. Haunted Mansion Holiday - Graveyard (edited from the Haunted Mansion Holiday Official Soundtrack, starts at 11:22) (3:00)
6. Over the Graveyard (from the Haunted Mansion Holiday Official Soundtrack) (1:40)
7. Two Step Medley (from the album Cowboy Christmas by Michael Martin Murphey) (1:58)
8. A Christmas Fantasy Parade - Opening Unit (2:42)
9. Sleigh Ride (2:50)
10. Silver Bells (1:42)
11. Little Saint Nick (The Beach Boys) (2:02)
12. Winter Wonderland (from the CD Ho! Ho! Hoey! II, by Gary Hoey) (2:56)
13. The Bells of Christmas (edited from The Santa Clause OST, starts at 1:06) (1:14)
14. Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams - Finale Unit (2:25)

Times for needledrop tracks are the times of the tracks as they appear on their releases. Tracks in the loop sometimes play over the ending of the previous track, and thus the exact times of the tracks as heard in the loop may be slightly different. Times for unidentified tracks are as heard in the loop.

Track 2, It's a Small World Holiday Medley, is not the same as the 1:55 medley track that has circulated. It is longer and features more of the It's a Small World Theme. A reconstruction of the medley can be made from the official ridethrough.

The sources of tracks 3, 4, 9 and 10 are unknown.

It has been speculated that tracks 3 and 4 may be from the Frontierland and/or New Orleans Square Christmas loops. Thus they may have been recorded for in-park holiday loops and may not be commercially available.

It has been speculated that track 9, Sleigh Ride, is from the Disneyland Main Street Christmas Music Loop. It is not. In fact, no version of Sleigh Ride plays in the Main Street Loop.

Track 10, Silver Bells, is also not from the Main Street Christmas Loop, though a different version of that song does play in that loop.

More to come!

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
Thanks for posting this!

Is it possible that the "Sleigh Ride" song is on the CD "Christmas in the 90's" and maybe runs 2:55? There's a good couple seconds of silence at the end of that track.

Club 33

Playlist Author
Thanks for posting this!

Is it possible that the "Sleigh Ride" song is on the CD "Christmas in the 90's" and maybe runs 2:55? There's a good couple seconds of silence at the end of that track.

It's possible, as I said, some of the endings get snipped in the transitions. I can't seem to find any information on that CD however. If I can track down a copy of the track I can compare it to the recording i have.

almandot

and just HOW does the Parade Of Dreams track relates to Christmas???

This loop started in winter 2005 when Parade of Dreams was running alongside the Christmas Fantasy parade(I think 2005... if not 2006 but pretty sure pod was part of the loop in 2005 and that was probably the reason)

Club 33

Playlist Author
This loop started in winter 2005 when Parade of Dreams was running alongside the Christmas Fantasy parade(I think 2005... if not 2006 but pretty sure pod was part of the loop in 2005 and that was probably the reason)

Good thinking, I was wondering myself. Ironic, considering that not only is PoD not playing now, but wont be returning after Christmastime ends...and perhaps never will.

Horizons

Playlist Author
Hello all. With some encouragement from Horizons, I'll be trying to expand our coverage of the music of Disney West, the Disneyland Resort. In much the same way as he does, I'll be attempting to provide accurate listings and information about the music that plays at the resort.

So, you are going to steal my copyrighted idea... :unsure:

Club 33

Playlist Author
For those who are so inclined, the reference recording used to make this listing has been posted on Rodentsections. Do note that the recording, while complete, starts at "Haunted Mansion Holiday - Graveyard" and then proceeds in the order listed.

Club 33

Playlist Author
ozzietropics was completely right, that is indeed the source of track 9! I will update the listing. Thanks ozzie! That leaves only 3 tracks to go.

EDIT: For whatever reason, i cannot find any option to edit my original post. In fact, I cant seem to edit any of my posts in this topic except this one. Help?

[Note: The part of this topic concerning editing posts has been split and moved to [topic="3987"]here[/topic]. ?Jay/Admin]

Club 33

Playlist Author

X-S Tech

When this loop first debuted during the Christmas of the 50th, the PoD track seemed a lot less out of place, as it was sort of the theme for the whole birthday celebration.

Karalora

I believe "Sleigh Ride" is the version by the Boston Pops Orchestra. I distinctly recall hearing it played in the Esplanade one holiday season not too many years ago, although if they've changed the loop in the meantime I can't help you.

Are we sure this is the whole loop? It seems a little short. Do we know for sure that the same track doesn't appear more than once?

Horizons

Playlist Author
Are we sure this is the whole loop? It seems a little short. Do we know for sure that the same track doesn't appear more than once?
I can't speak for Disneyland loops, but the Christmas loops used around WDW vary considerably in length. For example, the Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk resorts have loops clocking in over 2 1/2 hours. On the flip side, the Christmas version of the main entrance loop at the Animal Kingdom runs approximately 30-40 minutes. So it doesn't surprise me that this loop only runs 30 minutes or so.

Karalora

I'm used to Disneyland Esplanade loops being on the order of 50-60 minutes.

On another note, if any of the tracks sounds like it might come from the New Orleans Square holiday loop (do we have a track listing for that, btw?), you might try to get a hold of the Christmas albums produced by some of the jazz bands that have performed in NOS over the years and see if you can find a match. I know the Side Street Strutters and Bayou Brass Band have released Christmas albums, although I don't own any of them (yet). I would not be at all surprised to learn that these albums are the source for the NOS holiday loop in the first place.