Disneyland Anniversay CD Box Set

If you could produce a Disneyland 50th anniversary multi-CD box set, what would you include in it? There is material from 1955-2005...

PS: Wouldn't it be great if Disney Records would release something like this? Imagine...restored, unedited recordings from Disneyland with Randy's quality standards! ;D

I would include the COMPLETE soundtracks to the Country Bear Jamboree,Country Bear Christmas Special and the soon to return to Walt Disney World as a SEASONAL offering,Country Bear Vacation Hoedown!

Gurgitoy2

Wow! There's just so much to choose from. I think I would do something like the old 40th Anniversary trading cards and go year by year, but instead of pictures it would be music. Sort of like the TDL 15 Years of Magic boxed set. I would love to get a remastered "Disneyland is Your Land" show! If they had one track for every year, then that would be 50 tracks, which could be spread out over 4 CD's potentially. The TDL set only has 33 tracks total, but some of those are really long full show tracks. Also, I think the set should be devoted ONLY to Disneyland, and should not include anything from DCA for the later years!

You know, part of me wants to say that this should be one of those things where they ask people what they'd want out of such an item. I know I'm living in dreamland here, but wouldn't it be neat if the POWERS THAT BE produced a list of signifigant sounds / pieces of music from the parks and let the public have input on what they'd like to buy? Without beforehand worrying about publishing, etc and just find out what is really desired and going from there. Perhaps a survey mailed out to Annual Passholders? Since the park events have had such great success with CD's...this could even BE an event that celebrated the music of the parks. Just thoughts. I had hoped this topic would generate more discussion on the board. I think this is something we'd ALL be interested in having.

50 years..
This would be a dream box set...
companion coffee table book.. the works

5 CDs chronicling each decade.

Containing OLD restored remastered classics and current hard to find tracks.
A deluxe version with Art from the old album covers

Also could have Shermans , X Atencio, and other composers and imagineers interviewed on a seperate or multilayerd cd (like DVD's)(is the technology out there?)

Also Walt clips between some tracks or Marty Sklar, John Hench. woud bring out the creative sparks behind the tracks. More than a memory lane trip, (or another souvenier yech)a way to educate and teach the next generation in the how to of theme parks from the masters.

Also could have a signing and event surrounding it.

Randy could produce in his typical fashion.

I'm there with cash if its done right!
J

A 5 CD set, with one decade featured for each. Somehow though, I think the last decade would be sorely lacking. Fantasmic, Indiana Jones, Tarzan's Treehouse. And a couple of lousy parades. Though I guess the Holiday things and Believe fireworks could be worked into such a collection. I'm just thinking a big box would need a lot of material that couldn't be gotten anywhere else - not now, and in general, never before available stuff. I would NOT want to a "resort" box that would pad the collection with DCA things. Not as an item that would be connected with the 50th celebration for DL.

The last decade could also incorporate material from the new Tomorrowland. Even if the renovation might not have been successful overall, some good music did come out of it. I'd be particularly interested in the Rocket Rods material (like "Magic Highways of Tomorrow" and the onboard musical soundtrack that was used for a few days) and the Innoventions exterior and interior music and Tom Morrow spiels. There's also the "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience" theme that plays in the queue. (The New Autopia has a nice queue music loop, but there's nothing new in it.)

-Jason

Dirk

or what about adding a view recordings of Disney songs by stars of the decade which visited the Park in the decade? It is not true DL-music but it could set the tone / the time for the rest of the CD and bring back some of the hard to find cover versions of Disney songs.

Yours
Dirk

50 years..
This would be a dream box set...
companion coffee table book.. the works

5 CDs chronicling each decade.

Containing OLD restored remastered classics and current hard to find tracks.
A deluxe version with Art from the old album covers

Also could have Shermans , X Atencio, and other composers and imagineers interviewed on a seperate or multilayerd cd (like DVD's)(is the technology out there?)

Also Walt clips between some tracks or Marty Sklar, John Hench. woud bring out the creative sparks behind the tracks. More than a memory lane trip, (or another souvenier yech)a way to educate and teach the next generation in the how to of theme parks from the masters.

Also could have a signing and event surrounding it.

Randy could produce in his typical fashion.

I'm there with cash if its done right!
J

Would have shortened the quote...but I liked it all too much!

Jeff, I'm with you all the way.

There could be park souvenir CDs for the folks who want to bring home "Its A Small World", etc. AND, if they want to please the afficionados and produce a quality product which would sell for major bucks, they could produce a "deluxe" or "platinum" version which could include some of the features you and others mention here! It would be great!

Thanks Mike,

They have the archives to do it right..whether they will is another story. In house spats has all but ruined the DL Fvr. system and WDI has to clear everything.
But you never know.

Lets hear it for a set surpassing Randy's 75 yr ensemble!
"But we can dream the dream together..."
there I go again.. baiting Bean.
;)

J

I realize this is kinda off topic, but Disney recently shot down my idea for a 30th Anniversary celebration for the Electrical Parade. They apparently don't like the idea of people from outside the company giving ideas :(. I must admit I was very upset w/ what was said. This shows Disney DOESN'T care about what their guests want.

or what about adding a few recordings of Disney songs by stars of the decade which visited the Park in the decade?

Ugh. This is the LAST thing I'd want to see. My feeling is the "stars sing songs of Disney" genre has been done to death already. This seems to be a popular feature that's popping up on a lot of the recent DVD releases. For a set celebrating the park, I'd like to actually have material from the park - much of which has never been released for purchase and wouldn't need to be newly created - comprise the entire set. Past forays into recording artists doing Disney songs have been - in my opinion - disappointing. Whether it be horrible artist, horrible mismatch of artist to material, terrible "clever" ideas for the production of the tracks, the majority of the Music of the Parks CD is abyssmal. The only thing that keeps it in my collection is Barenaked Ladies' dead-on take of Grim Grinning Ghosts. If anyone from Disney - besides Mr. Thornton - is reading this, a covers album is a bad, BAD idea for an anniversary set. No offense to your idea intended Dirk. Now, if someone wanted to hire a well known artist to record a new song written specifically as a theme for the 50th anniversary, I wouldn't mind so much. But, for God's sake PLEASE don't let it be Celine, Barbara, et al.

X-S Tech

Lot's of New Tomorrowland Stuff would be great: At least one of the Innovention Loops (besides Home), Honey I shrunk the Audience area music, Rocket Rods, Observatron, etc...Jason's right, New Tomorrowland's music must have been taken care of before the budget got slashed. Let's see....What about attraction music from Fantasyland, New and Vintage? There's been so little of the actual stuff released (what about the Darby O'Gill medley from StorybookLand!). New Mr. Lincoln music, Circle Vision themes, Cartoon Spin, Mr Toad, I could go on and on. Interviews with Imagineers and songwriters would be great especially explanations and thought processes about why certain songs or pieces were needed, replaced, etc...

Dirk

Ugh. This is the LAST thing I'd want to see [...] a covers album is a bad, BAD idea for an anniversary set

HI Robert,

I think I did not make really clear what I had in my mind - I'm totally with you: please not another cover CD to celebrate the anniversary.

My idea was more like this: if we have one CD for each decade with let's say 20 tracks, 19 of these 20 tracks should be original Disneyland Park music material but the first one could be a (maybe hard to find) recording of a Disney song by a famous artist of the decade recorded back then or maybe even a medley of several cover verions from that decade. With this I wanted to set the tone / time to make it obvious what decade the music on the CD would be from and unearth some older not so often published cover versions. I thought this might be an interesting idea especially as most guests, besides us die hard fans, would most propably have problems by dating music material to certain decades and such an artist-track could "help".

Yours
Dirk

P.S.: I didn't feel offended by your post - after all this cover albums we already had it is totally understandable.

Scott

I realize this is kinda off topic, but Disney recently shot down my idea for a 30th Anniversary celebration for the Electrical Parade. They apparently don't like the idea of people from outside the company giving ideas :(. I must admit I was very upset w/ what was said. This shows Disney DOESN'T care about what their guests want.

Well, not to stick up for Disney or anything, but if you sent them the idea unsolicited, it probably wasn't that they shot down your particular idea--they probably didn't even read it! They won't accept any outside ideas, because that opens them up to zillions of potential lawsuits if they ever do something that might have been similar to a suggestion, or if someone just claims that Disney stole an idea and "lost the letter" purposefully, or some such thing. I really don't think it was a response to your particular idea. :)

The Kenster

It's their official line to tell you that they don't like it. Therefore, you are not compentsated, even if it's just a," Wow, that's a great idea, we will do it!" They keep the idea for consideration though and consider it theirs. How dare your ability to out imagine the imagineers!

I have spoken with Disney legal via phone and while they were kind, they were not going to budge on their policies. I was inspired to send a lot of ideas because I heard that there was this "I have an idea" program at one time.

Disney has had to pay in the end oft times. Disney Adventures magazines was a nicked idea and it cost em.

The sports complex was another nicked idea or so I had heard.

Have I received responses? Yes! I put in for a Disneyland idea to lengthen the pirates and haunted mansion tracks on the park CDs, that they were my favorites and that they were too short. I went into great detail and I got an unsigned, mysterious answer of which I printed. I love the flattery. The first line of the letter said, "You sir, are a genius."

I disputed this letter with legal and they were taken aback and had nowhere to go. They finally said that they had no control of whether a person would answer me or not. I said obviously the letters are being read. I was passed along to one of their high ranking lawyers and I basically ended up pleading with her to speak to Eisner that he might reconsider. Any of you may contact Disney legal. I did as a true fan of Disneyland.

About a year after I graduated High School, I submitted an idea for a Disneyland Radio station and to call it "Radio Disneyland". I got the letter back, it was worn and looked like it had seen a lot of hands, along with the we don't accept outside ideas letter.

About seven years later, a "Radio Disney" showed up. I argued with Disney legal, that if there was credit to be put out that I didn't want it, that it was better to see the suggestion carried out and benefit all. Everytime I see a title that says "(Something) Disney" I have an idea of where they first read it.

I am satisfied though because I see that my suggestions have been used.

So, send in your suggestions if you want them to be considered. Get your reject letter and know that it could come to pass.

And thank you Randy Thorton for your compliment, rock on.

Ken