Disney Classic Sountrack Series

disneystich07

Can anyone post a list of what titles were in this series? These were all released in 1997 or so? I tried the album index links on the main page but they all give an error when you click on them.
thanks,
Susan :)

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Pinocchio
Fantasia
Dumbo
Bambi
Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty
One Hundred and One Dalmatians
Mary Poppins
The Jungle Book
The Happiest Millionaire (LP)
Bedknobs and Broomsticks (LP)
Pete's Dragon (LP)
The Aristocats (not in this series, but a complete soundtrack CD was available in Europe)
Rescuers Down Under (with 4 Rescuers tracks)
TRON (LP)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (LP)
Newsies
Oliver and Co. and forward animated features
(seems like maybe The Rocketeer and Dick Tracy were reissued too, but I'm not sure on that)

Gurgitoy2

If you're looking for the CD's that were part of that first wave of Classic Soundtrack Series, then there are fewer titles. Some of the ones MerlinJones mentioned were released later, and although mastered by Randy Thornton, were not labeled "Classic Soundtrack Series". Here are the first titles:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Pinocchio (although this was only released with the CSS label in Japan)
Dumbo
Bambi
Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty
One Hundred and One Dalmatians (The CSS version was a Disney Store exclusive. A non-CSS version was later reissued everywhere)
Mary Poppins
The Jungle Book

a shame we didn't get to see:

Song of the South
Saludos Amigos/Three Caballeros
Babes in Toyland
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Many Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh
Make Mine Music/Fun and Fancy Free/Melody Time/Ichabod and Mr. Toad
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Swiss Family Robinson
The Parent Trap!
Darby O'Gill and the Little People
etc.

get the full "classic soundtrack" treatment

Gurgitoy2

I agree. Especially on The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. It drives me nuts that anything recent is a new recording. We really have not had anything original since the old "Disney Collection" days. Why can't we get a remastered soundtrack, or at least tracks from the Pooh shorts? I really can't stand the newer recordings either, since they have lost their charm in the "updating".

Does anybody know the reasoning behind using the newly recorded songs versus the older ones? I'd love to know why.

Oh, and I was really excited when I found out that The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh was included in the Japanese boxed set "Disney Dreams". It was a collection of all of the remastered soundtracks up through Tarzan. When I got it though, I was severely disappointed to find out that EVERYTHING was newly recorded...even the bits of score!

Gurgitoy2

Along with what Bill said, we did get versions of some of those from the Wonderland system, and now on iTunes.

Saludos Amigos, Babes in Toyland, and The Parent Trap all got reissues. Granted, they are reissues of the original soundtracks, so there is not really "new" score or anything, but still...they were remastered.

maybe this is a silly/simple question... but I always wondered...

On soundtracks like Pete's Dragon and (especially) Bedknobs & Broomsticks; why don't they just use the recording as heard in the movie? Why does the Disney Chorus come in to sing the bulk of a song (not that I mind their voices- but you know what I mean)? I always remember that my biggest disappointment was "Portabello Road". I loved every note of that song the way it was sung and played in the movie.

Is it a legal issue? Is it a money issue (even back in 19__ whatever)?

Gurgitoy2

maybe this is a silly/simple question... but I always wondered...

On soundtracks like Pete's Dragon and (especially) Bedknobs & Broomsticks; why don't they just use the recording as heard in the movie? Why does the Disney Chorus come in to sing the bulk of a song (not that I mind their voices- but you know what I mean)? I always remember that my biggest disappointment was "Portabello Road". I loved every note of that song the way it was sung and played in the movie.

Is it a legal issue? Is it a money issue (even back in 19__ whatever)?
Well, my guess is that at that time, soundtracks were meant as a full listening experience. A lot of the soundtracks up through the 1960's included re-recorded tracks to make it more "pleasurable" to listen to. So, if a song was cut off in the movie, it was not on the LP. Disney did this A LOT! Many of the "soundtracks" of the day were totally re-recorded. Kind of like any Broadway cast album. It's just my guess, but I doubt it was a rights issue, so much as a creative decision at the time. Also, I think studios thought nobody would be interested in the scores to a film, so soundtracks just included any songs. That still holds today, unfortunately...and now we get "inspired by" albums...