Brother Bear CD

B

Bill

I think it's interesting that for all the kvetching about Disney shutting down Feature Animation, no one has reviewed this CD yet. Is it possible that everyone's given up before the official end of Disney Animation as we know it?

Well...the bad news (for me) is that the soundtrack is less than stellar. I actually liked the Tarzan soundtrack and was looking forward to more of the same or similar. After a couple listens, I can't say that any of this is particularly memorable. The track that I laughed about the most before hearing the CD was the Bulgarian Women's Chorus. Having listened to the disc now, that might be my favorite. Have no idea what they're singing...it's in Inuit....but sounds like a good "transformation" scene. I was actually surprised by the triteness of Phil's lyrics and shallowness of some of the melodies. They just never seem to erupt into that heart-stopping Disney cresendo that we all know and love.

I guess there's always "Home on the Range"...

Anyone else listen to this? Whaddaya think?

I certainly have not given up on the Disney animated films, just haven't picked it up yet--I may need to check out the Best Buy version first which apparently has an extra track(couldn't find any info on the Best Buy website), or I wonder if the ol' Disney Store will have their own Special Edition version.

The Inuit track(actually, if I'm not mistaken, "Inuit" actually is a word referring to the people themselves--the actual language would be Yupik, or Inupiaq--I'll have to double-check on this) sounds very interesting to me in particular(I lived in Alaska for five years); this should add an authentic/"roots" feel to the song, similar to the Hawaiian-based songs in Lilo and Stitch--a nice touch. I also like Disney's use of unusual, or little known musical assembles--the Bulgarian Women's Chorus this time.

Once again, very little score included apparently......why?

Mike

Addendum: After a quick search, looks like, generally speaking, Yupik and Inupiaq in Alaska, and Inuktitut in Canada and Greenland; I'll be interested to see what dialect was used in the song, as well as an English translation.

matt d.

Hi Michael,

The Disney Store has an exclusive version of the soundtrack with a 3D lenticular-type cover (similar to the cover that they released for Atlantis).

matt d.

Hi Matt, and thanks for the info! Don't think I'm going to be able to resist the need to have both the Best Buy version and the DS edition.......

Mike

Burnsland

I'll be interested to see what dialect was used in the song, as well as an English translation.

I would guess the translation can be found in the Phil Collins version of Transformation, which is later in the CD. Not knowing the language, I can't say for certain, but I would think that since the tune is the same and the title is the same, surely the words are pretty close.

Dr. Know

I purchased the disc at Best Buy tonight for $11.99. Glad I didn't have to pay more, since I really only wanted the three score tracks (I'm not a Phil Collins fan -- what on earth will I do with that bonus track?!). I like what I hear in Mancina and Collins's score tracks, but I just wish there was more underscore represented on the cd. All in all, I'm not unhappy with my purchase.

Once again, very little score included apparently......why?

Mike

I seem to remember that its a money driven decision. (scratching head) When the orchestra is local or at least US, union demands mean that the performers have a cut of the profits. That is why so many films use the London Symphony Orchestra. No such tricky labor laws.
I think I read this on this site somewhere.

Jeff

Money, money, money.......never enough for a quality musical release, but always enough for middle-of-the-road schlock(haven't used that term in a while, just seemed to fit).

Mike

radioandy

I also found the CD pretty disappointing. Disney soundtracks are at their best when they follow the theme of the setting...capturing the cultural flavor in the music. Brother Bear gave it opportunities, but Phil apparently decided to go with the pop music cookie-cutter approach to songwriting. Tina Turner and the Blind Boys of Alabama were great ideas for a Disney soundtrack, but I thought their talents were wasted on this one.

Just cause I generally like Phil Collins: C +

By the way, if you don't want to spend $15 before you hear it...I'll have some tracks playing on my Live 365 station by Tuesday night...
!
!
!
V

OK, my turn, finally listened to it.....

3 listens so far.....and 2 thumbs up!

I'll say right at the top that I'm not a big Phil fan(although I do have one Genesis LP.....that's right, LP), nor have I been listening to alot of contemporary popular music lately(I did get Warren Zevon's latest, and unfortunately, last, just after hearing of his passing--I liked it, after I got myself back in the mode).

But after the second listening to Brother Bear, I was hooked by the time "Welcome" came along, uplifted by the Inuit sound of "Transformation," and definitely "On My Way" by the time I heard that song; Phil and Mark--welcome back(come to think of it, I think Tarzan was the last time we've had a healthy dose of songs--I'm still not able to hum the Treasure Planet tunes)!!!

The three score selections only make me want more--the music has an interesting infusion of Native American sounds, in part courtesy of the beautiful choral arrangements of the Bulgarian Women's Choir. I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for a "promo" CD of the complete score, should one come around.

Sorry Bill, but I'm smiling as I type.......bring on the movie!!!

Mike

xfkirsten

Just picked up this CD today. IMHO, as just a fun-to-listen-to CD, it's pretty good. It just doesn't have that Disney sound, though. So as far as being a good Disney CD, it's not. It's not quite up to par with Tarzan, which I really liked. But the music is catchy, and i personally enjoyed the tunes. I'm also kinda partial to Phil Collins in general, so that kinda makes it better. :)

My biggest bones to pick with it, besides it not really sounding like it comes from a Disney movie:

-The multiple versions of every song. That kinda drives me nuts. It was the same way with Tarzan. Of the songs with lyrics on the CD, half of them are repeated in another version, and it just seems like a space-filler.

-Need more score! Mark Mancina is great, I love his work in Tarzan and Twister especially. I too have been disappointed lately in general with the lack of score included in Disney soundtracks (i.e. Lilo and Stitch, Lizzie McGuire, etc)

Overall, I'm glad I bought the CD, though.

-Kirsten

Dirk

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there,

first thing I noticed about the CD: not enough score included ... but before I actually listened to the CD I went out to watch the movie (hey, iif I'm visiting the US once when a new Disney feature is released I have to see it immediately as here in Germany the movie isn't due till early April 2004!).

The score worked really well in the movies, but unfortunately I have to say the songs by Phil Collins did not. They really stood out in a negative sense never really connecting with the score they should grow from. Neither they really connected with the scenes, instead I had more of a feeling that a finsihed animated scene was played with a song written totally independent (something that was not the case).

This was especially obvious for me during the "bears fishing for salmon" scene which was wonderful as long as you blocked out the song which did not catch the pace, feeling and atmosphere of the scene at all but to me just added a cheesy feeling. This in the end made the songs the big flaw of a, despite this, really wonderful movie.

Therefore I did not expect much when I came home and finally listened to the CD - but what a surprise. Even so there still is definitely not enough score included, I'm still not a fan of Phil Collins and I still think I kind of hear some of the Tarzan elements once again in his new songs ... I actually liked then CD pretty much. It is a nice pop-CD that reminds me of the movie and works quiet well as such as long as you don't see the movie with it. It is not outstanding but still a nice CD to go for.

Oh and before I forget it: if you are interested in the special cover Disney is selling - get it at a Disney Store outside WDW it is cheaper there than in any of the shops inside WDW.

Yours
Dirk

Interesting, Dirk--I listened to the CD first, and then saw the film, whereas you did the opposite.

As I mentioned above, after a few listens, I was really enjoying the music(right, not enough score) and songs(as I still am--and I'm certainly no big Phil fan, although I did like his Tarzan work). I was quite interested how the songs would be presented in the film--sorry, but I thought they all worked quite well(not like the grating songs of "Treasure Planet"). I had particularly liked the rousing "Welcome" after a few listens to the CD, and seeing the picture, I thought it fit the mood of a joyous gathering of old friends at the falls. Others that come to mind--"On My Way," with its light, whistling refrain works, as does "Transformation," with its Inuit chanting, rising Kenai up into the aurora.

Maybe now that you've listened to the CD, and enjoy it, you should give the film another look--just a thought.

It's just great to finally have a film with some very pleasant songs to add to the Disney songbook(granted, the characters are still not singing.....).

Mike

P. S. Another reason I enjoy Walt Disney music--it leads me into new musical territory. I wasn't familiar with The Blind Boys of Alabama until this movie--I liked their sound. For anyone else interested, when I was in Borders a few days ago, I picked up their new Christmas(YES, Christmas!) CD, "Go Tell It On The Mountain"; they're joined by an eclectic group of performers, ranging from(my favorite) Tom Waits to Richard Thompson--just not ready to listen to it yet, give me a few more weeks and I'll let you know about it!

Dirk

HI Michael,

I'll definitely give the movie another look now that I listened to the soundtrack - but as I'm back in Germany that will have to wait till next April when it is released here (when I would have went to see the movie again anyway ).

It is interesting that for you the songs and the scenes worked together so well - what disrupted the unity for me most propably was the fact that I felt that the songs are too much Phil Collins / Pop-style which kind of hampers them in picking up on the atmosphere. But again: this is certainly a question of personal taste.

Yours
Dirk

Dirk, I never realized that the overseas release dates were so different--is this always the case?

Just another thought.....I wonder if the characters sang the songs themselves, if this would've integrated the music better into the flow of the film for you......just still hoping that it could one day happen again......

Mike

Dirk

Hi, Michael,

sorry for the late answer - I was forced offline for a week by my job.

Regarding the release date of movies: most US-movies are released only 4 to 6 months after their US-premier in Germany. At least partially this is due to the fact that Germany still clings to dubbing all movies - and that process takes time too.

Now and then major event-movies are released on the same date, e.g. "Matrix III", "Lord of the Rings III" but also "Disney's Treasure Planet" was released more or less on the same date as the US.

This time warp also is one of the main reasons we have a different DVD-regional-code preventing most players (not mine so ) from playing US-DVDs, as often the US-DVD is released around or big screen premier. E.g. Finding Nemo is out on DVD in the US now and only now premiered in the UK and Belgium, while Germany and France will be waiting even longer till the end of November.

In the case of Disney the delays are sometimes also due to the fact that the Disney Animated Features are a kind of christmas staple. The movie you let your child watch around christmas time on the big screen, so now and then Disney has deliberately moved a movie to the later christmas slot even when it could have dubbed and released it earlier in the year - just to cash in on the bigger christmas box office. In turn this means a movie released in the US in late fall then would have to move to spring (as Brother Bear does now) so that not two animated Disney features compete against each other.

Also historical in Europe fall / winter was always and is still the much bigger box office compared to the summer months. Europeans still cling to the beaches / lakes / outdoors during the summer. Air Conditioned cinemas only started popping up in larger numbers in the early 90s. Since then the industry is trying to establish the summer as the time for big popcorn movies but this is still a process underway.

Yours
Dirk

Fascinating, thank you for the insight, Dirk. I've wondered about the regional DVD-coding, that's interesting; everything comes down to economics......

Michael