"Bongo" Told and Sung by Dinah Shore is on CD

W

wondergreg

I just bought an album on amazon called "Clooney Tunes," which is a collection of children's songs by Rosemary Clooney. The surprise is that the CD is actually three vintage Columbia albums in one!

The best surprise is Walt Disney's BONGO is complete on the disc, from FUN AND FANCY FREE, which was never available except on 78 RPM records! There is a small photo of the 78 cover on the back of the CD cover. Dinah Shore tells the story and sings the songs. It's not the soundtrack, but a re-creation made just for records. There's even a bonus track of Dinah's outtake.

It also includes a Tubby the Tuba-like story called "Piccolo, Saxie and Company" told by the comical Danish pianist Victor Borge.

Just thought you'd like to know! Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...nce&s=music

Thanks so much for the "hot tip," Greg; looks like the CD was just released by Columbia in April. We'll be in Boston over the weekend, checking out the Gauguin exhibit at the Fine Arts Museum, but we'll also be detouring into Virgin Records, so I'll look for it there before ordering from amazon.

I got interested in Rosemary Clooney not too long ago, partly because she was backed up on some of her most famous songs by none other than Thurl Ravenscroft and the Mellomen--check out "This Ole House" and "Mambo Italiano." I wonder if the Bongo recording, then, is the Columbia MJ-41 three 78 set, listed in R. Michael Murray's book? Which reminds me that I've got several 78 albums awaiting transfer to CD-R--Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, and Snow White (Decca A-368). They are quite pricey according to Murray's listings(as is the Bongo set--$75) but I was able to get nearly pristine copies through ebay for prices significantly lower than in the book--maybe people are just not interested in the ol' 78's, as not only do most people not even have a turntable these days, but if they do, chances are it doesn't have a 78 speed......

Thanks again,

Michael

W

wondergreg

You're welcome, Michael. The BONGO 78 set is listed in the Murray book. Prices are really hard to nail down, especially on children's records. The old saying is "It's worth whatever the other person wants to pay for it." And with kid's records, emotion and sentiment are the strongest value factors.

I'm a Rosemary Clooney fan, too. Thurl also appears on the song, "Where Will the Baby's Dimple Be?" That song, along with ALL of her children's and Christmas recordings, are on the expensive but worth it bear Family CD set called "Memories of You." She also did a fantastic duet of "Ten Feet Off the Ground" with Michael Feinstein on his pure imagination CD (which also has a good mix of Disney songs).

FRAN?OIS

Yes, Greg!
Quite right.... That Bear Family collection of all early recordings of Rosemary is a wonderful treasure!

I'm saving to get Vol. 3 of the collection... in case anyone cares to know :)!!!!

Rosemary Clooney was a terrific singer and quite a nice person... She preformed often in the late eighties with the All American College Orchestra at EPCOT (Epcot Center then) in the summer ... and I miss her a lot.....

While we're on the subject of Ms. Clooney, most people probably know that her big hit "Come On-A My House" was written by Ross Bagdasarian before he made it big with Alvin & the Chipmunks. But to tie everything back to the subject at hand, how many people know that Walt Disney himself was partially (and quite inadvertently) responsible for the creation of the Chipmunks? That saga will be told in THE STORY OF DISNEYLAND RECORDS or whatever its final title turns out to be.

Ah........The Christmas Song by the Chipmunks, one of my first 45's--sounds like that'll be an interesting tale, Tim.......

Just got back from Boston today--couldn't find the Rosemary Clooney CD on the shelves, so it'll have to be an amazon order......

And speaking of Rosemary and Dinah, just wanted to mention the Sony CD again, "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah," that I actually came across in Virgin Records in Boston a few years ago, just in case anyone doesn't have it. It's a Disney CD I go back to regularly, with 30's/40's/50's covers of songs from that golden era(actually, Dinah's Two Silhouettes and Benny Goodman's All The Cats Join In are supposedly from the original soundtrack of Make Mine Music, according to the CD booklet); Rosemary Clooney does Alice In Wonderland/The Unbirthday Song, and Dinah also does Lavender Blue and Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo. It's a great collection, with a real 40's swing feel--just in case anyone's missed it.

Mike

FRAN?OIS

Oh, she sure hated singing Come On A My House at the start, but Mitch Miller told her:

"It's this or you're fired". :eek:

Jeff

And speaking of Rosemary and Dinah, just wanted to mention the Sony CD again, "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah," that I actually came across in Virgin Records in Boston a few years ago, just in case anyone doesn't have it. It's a Disney CD I go back to regularly, with 30's/40's/50's covers of songs from that golden era(actually, Dinah's Two Silhouettes and Benny Goodman's All The Cats Join In are supposedly from the original soundtrack of Make Mine Music, according to the CD booklet); Rosemary Clooney does Alice In Wonderland/The Unbirthday Song, and Dinah also does Lavender Blue and Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo. It's a great collection, with a real 40's swing feel--just in case anyone's missed it.

Mike

I DON'T have this, but would LIKE to have it! :) Can you please point me in the right direction as to where it can be found? Or maybe it is out of print, and I'll be searching eBay? ??? In that case, what is the official title so I can search correctly! Many thanks in advance!
-Jeff

SharonKurland

Two listenings do not a hit make. It just means that it made it onto the roster and neded a SECOND listening to ENSURE its place in the Sharon CD Society. The B'way version of B&TB...now THAT'S a hit, with DOZENS of listenings, knowing every nuance, etc.

Ship ahoy....

-Sharon-

Jeff, the CD's title is "Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah," on Sony Legacy, #CK 48643. I just checked for it on amazon, and it came up as out of stock, and currently without any offerings through their z-shops--but that could change! Didn't check ebay.....

Sharon......you didn't actually think I was serious with the bona fide hit comment???!?!?!?

Mike

SharonKurland

In my CD collection, it's no secret that getting ONE listening is an honor . To get two...who knows....so I wanted to clarify . I'm just that kind of gal, y'know?

-Sharon-

Jeff

Jeff, the CD's title is "Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah," on Sony Legacy, #CK 48643. I just checked for it on amazon, and it came up as out of stock, and currently without any offerings through their z-shops--but that could change! Didn't check ebay.....
::CLIP::
Mike

Thanks for letting me know Mike; I appreciate it! I'll keep an eye on eBay and Amazon to see if it pops up. (One minor note: By the way, for any future visitors to this page that also want the CD, the correct spelling of the CD title is "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah". "Doo" was spelled "Do" in the above post.)

Thanks again!! ;D

Sorry about the spelling error, Jeff--it's a pet peeve of mine. I screwed up once before on the site calling the Disney legends the Mellowmen, instead of the Mellomen--a fine point, but an error none the less! Thanks for pointing that out, as it might also interfere with internet searches.

Mike