Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
Does anyone have any information on the tracks recorded for EPCOT's The Land and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (i.e. how many were scored)? Is the widely circulating 54.54 BTMRR track from DLP? Has the music been featured anywhere else in the Disney Universe that's not the Garden Grill or the actual ride? Was there any rationale for why some tracks were released on WDWF from "The Land" and others from BTMRR?

Thanks in advance!

Horizons

Playlist Author
The Garden Grill loop uses other music, in addition to Big Thunder Mountain tracks. As an example, some of the 1971 Frontierland BGM tracks are used, in addition to several of the Land tracks released on Walt Disney World Forever. The Garden Grill loop also uses music I haven't been able to locate from anywhere else.

I did some investigation of the 54:54 loop in the past. The best guess is that it's some sort of demo reel, as, after speaking to several people about it, it isn't used in any of the parks (nor does it match up to the music I have from the other parks).

DavidG

I did some investigation of the 54:54 loop in the past. The best guess is that it's some sort of demo reel, as, after speaking to several people about it, it isn't used in any of the parks (nor does it match up to the music I have from the other parks).

Having worked at BTM Paris for a couple of years, I can confirm that it is, in fact, the Paris loop. Like most DLP area music loops circulating in the web it's missing a track or two, but apart from that it's identical.

Horizons

Playlist Author
I have a Paris loop and it wasn't a match. But since I don't really get into non-WDW music, I can't be certain as to what it is.

Actually, I wonder if I am confusing the track SeaCastle asked about with another track, close to the same run time (~52m). I'll have to check later.

DavidG

If it starts with "West of the Wide Missouri" and ends with "Old Dan Tucker" it's the Paris loop... if I remember correctly, the tracks missing are "Bile 'em Cabbage Down" and "Polly Wolly Doodle." Plus maybe some third track...?

wedroy1923

Playlist Author
Eyore has posted about this on his blog: [entry=115]Big Thunder Mountain Area Music[/entry]

The playlist he posted is based on a live recording, and he has the loop running time at approx. 59.44.

Horizons

Playlist Author
I went back and checked the tracks I had questions on. There were two tracks I wasn't sure which park they belonged to, one 55:19 and the other 54:54. I was only sure they were not used in Disneyland or WDW.

DavidG is correct that the 54:54 track is almost identical to the Paris loop, except that Polly Wolly Doodle and Bile 'em Cabbage Down are both missing. The 55:19 track also has the same playlist as the 54:54 track. The 54:54 track doesn't start at the beginning of West of the Wild Missouri and the 55:19 track (which I suspect to be an internet rip from UAB) has an abrupt ending.

Of course, this assumes the Paris loop I have, which was delivered to me in 32 cut (and named) tracks is accurate (although I believe track 32 is actually two separate songs). I only asked for these because I was trying to track down songs used in the Garden Grill loop.

X-S Tech - Did you have information on the 54:54 track?

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know the source of the 54.54 recording? iTunes lists it as in stereo but it has skips and other audio errors.

Finally, does anyone know when the previous WDW BTMRR loop (the current DLR one) changed to the current one, which includes "There's No Place Like Home"?

Thanks!

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know the source of the 54.54 recording? iTunes lists it as in stereo but it has skips and other audio errors.

Finally, does anyone know when the previous WDW BTMRR loop (the current DLR one) changed to the current one, which includes "There's No Place Like Home"?

Thanks!
Just to clarify
I DO have a full live recording of this loop from DLRP running 59:48 recorded in May 2009 (plus several partial live recordings from previous years).
It sounds identical to the 59:44 in circulation (which I also have but unsplit). There does appear to be a few seconds of silence (loop-wise - background noises are present)before the last and first tracks (which would account for the 4 seconds difference between the circulating track and the live recording). I have used the timing for the circulating copy on my blog (as it doesn't have the silence).
There are 33 individual songs identified - Old Dan Tucker being the final track - after Oh Susannah (that may account for the comment by Horizons that track 32 is actually two tracks - it is).

Based on this, I would say that the 59:44 copy in circulation is not a reconstruction but an actual copy/induction recording of the DLRP loop.
I don't have the equipment to say for certain whether it's source or induction, sorry.

I'm a little confused as to the 54:54 timing though. Is this a typo for 59:44? If not, it's not the real thing - there's 5 minutes missing somewhere (as the live recording matches with the 59:44 loop) which matches with what Horizons said about it being a demo reel and inaccurate.

DavidG

I'm a little confused as to the 54:54 timing though. Is this a typo for 59:44? If not, it's not the real thing - there's 5 minutes missing somewhere (as the live recording matches with the 59:44 loop) which matches with what Horizons said about it being a demo reel and inaccurate.

As I wrote previously, two or three tracks are missing from the 54:54 loop, explaining the difference in duration. Several loops from Paris which I've downloaded have missing tracks like that (Bella Notte, Cottonwood Creek...); I have no precise idea why.

Horizons

Playlist Author
Several loops from Paris which I've downloaded have missing tracks like that (Bella Notte, Cottonwood Creek...); I have no precise idea why.
It's a conspiracy as someone wants to hold back the "full" loops for evil purposes. :p

Do you know anything about the Cowboy Cookout Restaurant? I have 20 tracks that were supposedly used in this location, similar in style to the Big Thunder Mountain music. [That's right SeaCastle, more BTM sounding music!] :wub:

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
Good to know someone "up there" in the Imagineering Sound Department has good tastes in music. I'd love to have been at the recording sessions for Splash/Big Thunder Mountain. I guess I should probably learn to play the banjo...