Bad Disney Music

SharonKurland

OK Jeff...you're back in the Club .

Speaking of Fantasmic...husband, 2 friends and I are going to be in DL Aug. 1st, 2nd, and 4th (Thur, Fri and Sun). Fantasmic is a "must see," since even I'll admit it blows WDW's away. I remember that the 2nd show is slightly less crowded than the 1st show. And that if we wait by the HM until the 1st show is over and then "stake our claim," we have a chance for decent, centered floor space. OR should we just go for the gusto and do the dessert package? If so, is it still a "get in line at 4am" affair?

-Sharon-

Re:Fantasmic advice

Many have said that the dessert buffet has went downhill lately. Haven't justified the expense myself.

You should be OK with your HM strategy. Its worked for us in the past. You may want to be actually elbowing your way down front as the lights come back up though.

We usually get a table up front at River Belle Terrace around 5 and play cards until 9:00 .. but I live here.
But If you have family camping anway its not a bad spot, just to the right of Pirates.

enjoy .. I hear we actually have new Lilo and Stich windows at the Emporium. Our new summer attraction.

(actually the movie wasn't too bad)
J

Gurgitoy2

Although I also like most of the Sherman's work, I have to agree with you, Bill, about "The Eyes of Love". It's just not their best. Also, I can see why Julie didn't think it should be Mary's signature song. The film didn't need two slow numbers. I think that the Shermans really hit the nail on the head with "Feed the Birds" and to have another song in the film that competes with it would not have been good. "A Spoonful of Sugar" is a total change of pace and it's so different from "Feed the Birds" that it just fits flawlessly. So I, for one, am very glad they decided not to go with "The Eyes of Love".

SharonKurland

Like the dessert buffet was ever any GOOD? I' sorry, but Disney just does NOT know how to do finger cakes. I know that they're frozen, because when Joe and I were planning our WDW wedding, the Epcot culinary people told us that they're made somewhere else and just re-heated here. And even for a relatively expensive (for Guests) event like that, they bordered on nasty. So if the desserts are bad, it would just be meeting our expectations anyway . If they're very bad, they'll exceed them .

Anyway, I can relate to "sitting around and play cards." It's the 4th of July so 2 friends and Joe and I are going to MK to see the fireworks. We figure we'll get there around 6ish. We're bringing Beyond Balderdash and we're gonna find a picnic table in the shade and play .

-Sharon-

David S.

Posted by Ben:

>>Although I also like most of the Sherman's work, I >>have to agree with you, Bill, about "The Eyes of >>Love". It's just not their best. Also, I can see why >>Julie didn't think it should be Mary's signature song. >>The film didn't need two slow numbers.

"Stay Awake"? ;)

Seriously, I agree that Spoonful makes the better signiture song for MP, I just don't think "Eyes of Love" is the pile of rubbish that Bill says it is!

Posted by Bill:

>>But the beauty of this, David S....is that you're l>>istening to it through the EARS of love. You are >>hearing the song that you want to hear. When I >>listen to it, I hear the drain clog clearing to clear the >>way for "Spoonful of Sugar"...a song which, I feel, is >>practically perfect in every way.

I'm not hearing it the way I "want" to hear it, I am hearing it the way I NATURALLY hear it. I had no preconceived notions about the song and don't automatically like it just cause it's the Shermans. I even said I wasn't crazy about the lyrics to "Femininity"

Thanks for posting the lyrics to "The Eyes of Love" because IMO they only serve to confirm the lyrical brilliance and beauty of the song!!! They are saying that there is goodness and beauty in everything. Apparently I've happened to find it in this song! A very positive song. We can use as many of them as we can, IMO.

What I am sensing here is that you are presenting the song here as FACTUALLY bad, and that it requires the special love of the artist (or fan) for their "ugly baby" to see the good in it. If this is your meaning I find this somewhat arrogant. There is no right or wrong perception. The perception that the song is "ugly" is no more definitive than my perception that it is beautiful, although for the life of me after relistening to the song and reading the lyrics that you were kind enough to type, I can't figure out what could possibly be "ugly" about such pure of heart sentiment.

As Ray Bradbury said in "The Martian Chronicles", "Let us agree to disagree". Nothing you can say will make me dislike the song, no matter how many times you say "Julie had the SENSE not to sing it", which could be interpreted as you saying that people who like the song are inferior to you or "senseless".

David S.

Sarcastic to the last...

I think you are missing my point. I don't need Stuart Smalley-esque "validation" either. I am going to like the song no matter what, even if I was the only person in the world to still like it, I will be loyal to it forever. I am never afraid to go against the grain, if I was I'd be listening to music I don't like like rap and such. I wasn't personally offended by your opinions and criticism of "The Eyes of Love", but you came across as a bit "authoritative" when you later informed me that I wasn't hearing the real song which was obviously horrible but the "song I wanted to hear" instead. If I misread your intention in that post I didn't mean to. And don't worry, I will refrain from making any Spice Girls jokes!

J2002

I don't really have any songs that I would call bad Disney Music. Well, except for some of the "So this is love " Sequence in Cinderella. The vocals are beautiful, but...I just don't like the song.

jason90

Personaly my ultimate Disney CD track skipper has to be 'The Droid Room', as soon as I hear the first two
"dunk dunks" my fingers are diving for the remote and onto the tiki tiki room, aaaahhh much better.
I'm starting to get like this with 'Test Track medley' as well. ;)

MitchB

I agree the "droid room" music is pretty bad. I always
skip over it. I also really don't like the scores for
"Robin Hood" (animated) and "Fox and Hound."
However, there are some bad songs that are
wonderful, like "Pineapple Princess" and
"Italiannette." In fact a lot of the songs that
Annette recorded were less than classic. But
they are great in a campy, over the top way.
Everyone should own the double CD Annette
box set- It's like groovey

Jessica L

Ooh - I forgot the Test Track Medley. MAJORLY bad song. Ugh - it makes my stomach turn just to think of it! ;)

Course I'm not a big fan of the ride either, so maybe it's just me. Or maybe not... :)

"It's fun to be free, to be on the move, to go anyway with never a care to - see all there is to be seen - it's fuuun to be freeee..."

Ahh! That's better! ;)

Jessica

chris

Annette may not have the greatest voice as a singer, but I do find her early work pleasant to listen to. I just love when she sings "Dance Annette" on the Disneyland After Dark special. It's good music and her personality helps to make it great.

Someone shared a song with me that Annette recorded much later in her career that is ...well you've just got to hear it. It's beyond description. Let's say it's not one of her better efforts. She recorded the song "Sweet, Sweet Smile" that Karen Carpenter had a hit with in 1977. Listening to the Carpenters version first, and then hearing Annette's, is an amusing experience to say the least.

J2002

I have more.......

The ones I always skip are:
"Feed the Birds(Tuppence a Bag)" (Mary Poppins)
"Second Star to the Right"(Peter Pan)
"So this is Love" (Cinderella)
Test Track Medley
"Love is A Song" (Bambi)

Jessica L

WOAH - Feed the Birds a skipper?!? :eek: Um... what exactly do you hate about that one? Feed the Birds is one of the most amazing, most beautiful song ever written. This was Walt's favorite song, and he would always say "That's what it's all about..." whenever he heard it.

Majorly have to disagree with you there!

Jessica

Scott

It's way too slow, way too sappy, puts me to sleep better than "Stay Awake"...glad for Walt that he liked it, but it's never been one of my faves either.

chris

Scott, if you find "Feed The Birds" sappy, you must really think "The Eyes Of Love" is sappy. I don't find "Feed The Birds" sappy at all. It's interesting how everyone has different levels of what they consider "sappy" or maybe too sweet. It's kind of facinating. Well, we all have different personalities and traits, so I guess that accounts for our different tastes in music. Usually if the sentiment is true and has great beauty, as "Feed The Birds" seems to posess, I find it very pleasing. That coupled with great, haunting music, makes it a gem.

I've always loved slow music, especially by composers like Henry Mancini and groups like the Carpenters. Some people really find it beautiful, or at times when I've played this kind of music in mixed company, others found it absolutely torturous. They'd ask "How can you LISTEN to this?".

It makes me sad to see where a lot of the music is going today that is targeted at young people by the media. Beauty and quiet introspective things musically in the popular culture seem to be going away faster all the time. Heck, there doesn't seem to be much that is melodic period. I know, I know. Listen to me! I know I sound ancient. Like someone's grandpa. I'm 35 years old, though. I do like rock and fun music too, don't get me wrong. I think it has more to do with the lack of joy and purity, versus aggression and hardness that I hear in the charts today.

Please forgive me getting on my soap box. I guess I got issues.

Scott

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning all slow music, or even all sappy music. I've just never been a fan of that particular song--and I know it's not always the safest thing to admit in a group of Disney music fans. :)

You mentioned Mancini by name--first thing I thought of is how much I like "Moon River". Slow, yes; sappy, definitely...but a great tune. "Feed the Birds" just has some inner quality that always puts me to sleep, or compels me to hit the "next chapter" button.

Like you said, everyone has different tastes. I've actually never heard "The Eyes of Love"...and after this discussion, part of me is very curious, and part of me is very scared. :)

And Chris, no going Grandpa on me...I'm 31, so you're not *that* much older than I am... :D

chris

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your nice response. I know you were not condemning all slow music and you were just commenting on "Feed The Birds". The whole discussion just got me thinking about how some people can't take any slow music at all, so I started to ramble on. Thanks for reminding me that I'm not a Grandpa, too!
:)

David S.

Scott, if you find "Feed The Birds" sappy, you must really think "The Eyes Of Love" is sappy. I don't find "Feed The Birds" sappy at all. It's interesting how everyone has different levels of what they consider "sappy" or maybe too sweet. It's kind of facinating. Well, we all have different personalities and traits, so I guess that accounts for our different tastes in music. Usually if the sentiment is true and has great beauty, as "Feed The Birds" seems to posess, I find it very pleasing. That coupled with great, haunting music, makes it a gem.

I've always loved slow music, especially by composers like Henry Mancini and groups like the Carpenters. Some people really find it beautiful, or at times when I've played this kind of music in mixed company, others found it absolutely torturous. They'd ask "How can you LISTEN to this?".

It makes me sad to see where a lot of the music is going today that is targeted at young people by the media. Beauty and quiet introspective things musically in the popular culture seem to be going away faster all the time. Heck, there doesn't seem to be much that is melodic period. I know, I know. Listen to me! I know I sound ancient. Like someone's grandpa. I'm 35 years old, though. I do like rock and fun music too, don't get me wrong. I think it has more to do with the lack of joy and purity, versus aggression and hardness that I hear in the charts today.

Please forgive me getting on my soap box. I guess I got issues.

Great post, Chris, worth reproducing in full! :)

Don't feel old, it's not that we are getting older, it's just that the music we dislike is THAT bad by our standards. I didn't like "aggressive", "hard", or unmelodic music when I was a teenager any more than I like it now (which I don't).

It seems melody has sadly become a "dirty word". A lot of bands seem to think that if they write catchy melodies and pop hooks in the grand tradition of Rodgers and Hammerstein, the Shermans, the Beatles, etc., that they are "selling out". I find all the "attitude" and in-your-face tuneless agressiveness of much of today's pop landscape a tremendous boor. Even much of the dance music of today is just the same monotonous beat over and over again at the expense of catchy, joyous melodies. What I enjoyed so much about the 80's was that much of the dance/club music was actually great pop music with catchy melodies and choruses and such.

As you can tell, melodies, whether the fast, catchy variety or the slow, pretty ones, are what I live for in music! Without melody music is nothing to me. You can take away rhythm or beat but without melody I am lost!

My interest in the vast majority of the music/genres that are "popular" today has disappeared through the same door through which catchy melodies and hooks have been exiled!

David