Attn: JoeInJpn and/or Yoshi

SharonKurland

I'm hoping that either of you can help me to find out if Nara Dreamland is still open? We're going to Japan in April and want to go there for 1 day, just to see what it's like...but only if it's still open! Thanks!

-Sharon-

Gurgitoy2

Well, I'm not Joe or Yoshi, but I do know that Nara Dreamland is still open. There were actually a couple people who went recently and posted their opinions on LaughinPlace.com. From what they describe, it sounds pretty pathetic, but strange in an alternate universe sort of way.

SharonKurland

Heheheh Ben....I was JUST coming back here to say that I found that very same article and now we're thinking we might not go after all.

Sounds like it sucks .

-Sharon-

SharonKurland

Thanks Yoshi. I knew they had a website, but I didn't know if it was up-to-date or not (if they had closed for good, I wasn't sure if the website would have been updated to say so).

I read the article on Laughing Place, as well as the 75+ replies...although it doesn't sound like a fill day or even very exciting, I think we might still go, just to see how bad it is .

-Sharon-

SharonKurland

Don't worry Bill...TDL is the highlight but we're definitely going to get our share of temples and stuff. I've already been to Japan once (April 1994) so I have some idea of what I'd like to see again and Joe and Steve have ideas of what they'd like to visit as well.

So far the itinerary is (not in order) Kyoto (Philospher's Path), Hiroshima (memorial museum), Tokyo, Nara, Osaka and the World's Fair (wherever it is...near Nagoya). We're going to be there for about 2.5 weeks and TDL is only 5 or 6 days of it.

-Sharon-

X-S Tech

Apparently their big event right now is the army of performing poodles. That's really frightening.

And it's still more than DCA's got going right now.

SharonKurland

We own a poodle and she makes US jump through hoops...might be nice to see things go the other way for a change .

-Sharon-

JoeInJpn

Hi Sharon,

Yes, as others have posted, "Nara Dreamland" is still mired in its own existence for the betterment of who knows what. If you want to get a twisted view of things "Disney-inspired" drop in for an hour or two. However, Nara has a lot more to offer in terms of culture and history of the country. Spend most of your time there. I'd say give Kyoto/Nara at least two days although they are similar places. Anymore questions, please contact me at jtcent(atmark)jtcent.com. Thanks.

JoeInJpn
http://www.jtcent.com

SharonKurland

Hi Joe-

I think we're spending 2 days in Kyoto/Nara. I know a few hours will be spent on the Philosopher's Path because we will be there about 2 weeks before Golden Week so the cherry blossoms should be looking VERY good by then. Hopefully it won't rain all day, like it did to us during our visit there in 1994!

We're still figuring out our intinerary.

-Sharon-

Yoshi

I want to say that I have never been to Kyoto, Nara or Hiroshima. :'( I visited Osaka when I was 6 years old, but I do not have memories.
I know it?s weird, but Sharon, can you email me about recommended spots in Kyoto/Nara and restaurants after your trip? Though I understand I should go to Kyoto/Nara once, I totally lost a chance to go there after I moved to U.S.A.
Will you visit Universal Studios Japan in Osaka? (I?m interested in it.)

Remember that the Tokyo DisneySea nighttime spectacular BraviSEAmo! will not be held for maintenance April 5 through April 22, 2005. (The other attractions closed in April are Mickey?s House and Meet Mickey (April 7-27) and Space Mountain (April 8 ? 28) at Tokyo Disneyland.

Yoshi

SharonKurland

Bill-

I think our plane lands in Osaka but we're not actually DOING anything there...at best, one nights' hotel lodging, if our plane comes in at a weird time. I believe we go straight to Kyoto.

Yoshi-

That's OK...there are so many things in the US that I still haven't done . Fortunately, I still live here, so I still have a chance.

I'll obviously be able to tell you more after we get back, but I know that from my trip in April '94 that the Philosopher's Path in Kyoto was just beautiful. That was my favorite part of Kyoto and possibly of the whole vacation!

Picture of Philosopher's Path:
http://www.johnharveyphoto.com/Japan/Kyoto...AlongWater.html

-Sharon-

SharonKurland

Another TDl question, please.

Does anyone know if TDL still runs a nighttime parade? MSEP or anything like that? or, with Bravisimo closed for a few weeks in April, would then, then?

Thanks!

UPDATE - I just saw the answer in JoeInJpn's awesome website. Thanks!

-Sharon-