Aristocats CD?

shicorp

I see, that there are two CDs of the "Aristocats" around. One, titled the "EP version", which only runs for some twenty minutes and a second one, which seems to be part of the 'Classic Soundtrack Series'. So which one is the one with Maurice Chevalier's vocals and what is the difference (or story) behind these two releases.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Stefan

B000079BER.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Aristocats_WDisney60904_7.jpg

matt d.

Hi Stefan,

If I remember correctly (my mind is a bit fuzzy this morning), both of the CDs you have mentioned contain Maurice Chevalier's performances of the Aristocats songs. The Classic Soundtrack Series CD contains the movie songs and several movie score tracks. Now the really fuzzy part, the EP version you mention may be the more early released CD that only contained the movie songs (no score). Someone else may be able to verify this.

Anyway, if you are looking for a CD that contains the Maurice Chevalier songs (along with the other movie songs) AND contains some of the cool 60-70's score, you cannot go wrong by purchasing the Classic Soundtrack Series CD.

Hope that helps!

matt d.

Gurgitoy2

There hasn't been a Classic Soundtrack Series release of "The Aristocats", at least not in the US. All we got was the "Songs from the Aristocats" album. However, those CD's mentioned above are international releases and do contain the score as well. I've been able to pick up both the British and French versions and they are great. For one thing, the French version has Maurice Chevalier singing in French, which is cool. Also both versions have the entire "Everybody Want's to be a Cat" song, including the bridge where Duchess sings. I do recommend trying to track down one of these international versions, as they are all better than the one released in the US.

matt d.

Hi Ben,

You are absolutely correct! :) The CD I meant to describe (containing the score) is a CD I own from Pickwick Group Ltd. So I guess this is the British version you have described. Sorry for the confusion! (Should have had some caffeine before posting!)

matt d.

adimike

As far as I remember, the shorter one is the original songs, plus EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE A CAT by BRIAN SETZER [Stray cats, get it?....um...]

I'm not at home to check, but if it isn't answered by then, I'll post back.

Adrian

Wow! Being a big Chevalier fan, I'd love to hear more of him! Could someone clarify--he sings ALL of the songs on these international releases? Actually, track listings from the international releases and the CD titles would be great, too, so I could begin a search for the CD's!
Thanks,
Mike
P. S. If anyone hasn't gotten the Wonderland Music release of "A Musical Tour of France With Maurice Chevalier"--get it NOW! It's a wonderful showcase of his talent!

shicorp

Thanks Stefan, it certainly helps; is this the CD that has Chevalier singing some of the other songs besides "The Aristocats"?
Thanks again,
Michael

matt d.

Hi Michael,

I think we have accidently misled you. The only song on these CDs that Maurice sings is the title song. Hope that isn't too disappointing. :-[

matt d.

Darn it--but I'd still like to hear him sing "The Aristocats" in French on the French release--thanks for the clarification, Matt! Plus, I've always got "A Musical Tour of France with Maurice Chevalier" to fall back on--great Chevalier covers of "It's a Small World" and "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow", nice companions to "Enjoy It"!

Michael

shicorp

Unfortunately, there is only less stuff of Maurice Chevalier out there. I think, he was a tremendous personality. I highly recommend (although I suspect, that you already own them, as you are a collector) the soundtrack albums to Gigi and Can-Can. Both of them have also performances by Louis Jourdan, who also can be rarely found on the records.

A collector I most certainly am, Stefan(just ask my wife about it......)--she actually has the Gigi soundtrack, but I don't think she has Can-Can, which we'll have to look into.

You're certainly right, Chevalier recordings are not plentiful, but I do have two. "Maurice Chevalier--The Gold Collection," is a two-CD set of recordings sung primarily in French, and covering, guessing from the varying quality of the recordings, a wide span of years; unfortunately, this inexpensively priced set has absolutely NO documentation regarding the recordings. The other CD I have is "Louise," from ASV/Living Era, featuring recordings from 1921-1946; this CD does have nice documentation about the recordings, which is typical for other selections from this company. I have a Roy Rogers collection from them, which has Roy and the Sons of the Pioneers performing "Pecos Bill" and "Blue Shadows on the Trail" from "Melody Time."

Now you've got me in the mood for a little Chevalier--dear, get me my straw hat....and don't forget the wine.....

Michael

LemSiddons

If you like Chevalier singing Disney, you should hunt down the Storyteller album for "In Search of the Castaways" which includes "Enjoy It" and "Musical Tour of France" which includes "Joie de Vivre" from "Monkey's Go Home"

Nice to hear some recommendations from one of Chevalier's fellow countrymen--thanks, Francois! Looks like those CD's are only available on amazon.fr--didn't see them on our version. I like the fact that his material is chronologically categorized in the two volumes, and with an exhaustive booklet to boot--sounds great, I'll have to check them out!
Thanks again,
Michael

Eglantine

Slightly OT, but another great Chevalier moment of interest: In the early 1960s film "Pepe" Chevaler does a WONDERFUL star-turn cameo as himself, doing a specialty version of the song "Mimi" (which he had introduced in the 30's in Rodgers and Hart's "Love Me Tonight). In "Pepe," he performs a sction as a specialty trio with the film's stars Dan Daily and Cantinflas...and the material was written by the great Roger Edens, who created much of Judy Garland's memorable custom material through the years. The "Pepe" LP is something that is out there second hand (and may be on CD...), but "Mimi" is a short track there. Best to see it in the film in all its glory...only the film itself, tailored to showcase Cantinflas fresh from his success in "Around the World in 80 Days" is a bit of an all-star train wreck. FASCINATING cameos (Bobby Darin, Bing Crosby, Jay North, Grer Garson, Debbie Reynolds and many more!)...but an odd and endless plot. Chevalier has the best moment in the film...and it is a good one!