American Adventure A-A Figures - Can You Name Them?

WDWGuy08

Walt Disney World on Twitter posted this today:

"Did You Know? The American Adventure at Epcot features 35 Audio-Animatronics, including Mark Twain and Ben Franklin. Can you name others?"

I tried that and I came up with 29! Am I missing some or did they post the wrong number? Here is what i came up with:

ben franklin
mark twain
two soldiers at valley forge
george washington at valley forge
two sons, father, mother, baby and photographer in family photo shoot before civil war
f.d.r.
thomas jefferson
ben franklin, again
susan b anthony
alexander bell
john carnegie
mark twain, again
will rogers
store owner
two black brothers on storefront porch
theodore Roosevelt
john muir
navy sailor
rosie the riveter
another female riveter
frederick douglass
ben franklin
mark twain

Chris

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
35 is the number that has always been reported for this attraction. Don't forget George Washington's horse and Chief Joseph. You're also missing one of the family members in the portrait scene (daughter) and one of the Great Depression porch scene figures (the man seated to the left of the store owner).

WDWGuy08

ah ok thank you totally forgot about chief joseph, the horse, the daughter and that guy by the store owner. that still leaves one more though! any ideas?

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Try as I may, I can only come up with 34, myself:

1-2: Ben Franklin and Mark Twain
3-4: Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin
5-8: Two soldiers, George Washington, and horse
9: Frederick Douglass
10-16: Matthew Brady photographing Missouri family (mom w/baby, dad, two sons, daughter)
17: Chief Joseph
18-21: Mark Twain, Alexander Graham Bell, Andrew Carnegie, Susan B. Anthony
22-23: Theodore Roosevelt and John Muir
24-27: Store owner and three men on Depression-era porch
28: Franklin D. Roosevelt
29: Will Rogers
30-32: Rosie the Riveter, Jane, and Navy seaman
33-34: Ben Franklin and Mark Twain

thx99

Real-life Harry Caul
Playlist Author
Is there a dog at the gas station?

"Once I built a tower, to the sun..."

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Is there a dog at the gas station?
Nope. But, believe it or not, it looks like there is a Mallard along for the ride with Frederick Douglass:

gallery_321_1_58989.jpg

WDWMAGIC

thx99

Real-life Harry Caul
Playlist Author
There is a dog!!

gallery_321_1_76714.jpg

WDWMAGIC

thx99

Real-life Harry Caul
Playlist Author
I suppose one could argue that there's nothing "audio" about George Washington's audio animatronic. At least his horse makes a few sounds, as I recall.

EDIT: Of course, there was no dog in the original circa 1939 photograph which appears to have served as the "model" for the scene:

gallery_321_1_52050.jpg

Dorothea Lange / Shorpy

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Of course, there was no dog in the original circa 1939 photograph which appears to have served as the "model" for the scene:
Ah, you've been to Shorpy! One of the coolest photo blogs there is!

I guess it goes without saying that one dog is cheaper to make than two humans. :D

Interestingly, that is the brother of the store owner standing in the doorway.

thx99

Real-life Harry Caul
Playlist Author
I guess it goes without saying that one dog is cheaper to make than two humans. :D
LOL!! I suppose you're right on that point.

Interestingly, that is the brother of the store owner standing in the doorway.
I read that on the site, too.

BTW, Jay, why did you change the photo I posted in the message above? In the one I posted (found here), the man in the doorway has his legs crossed and the man to his left isn't in the act of drinking. Just curious...

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
BTW, Jay, why did you change the photo I posted in the message above?
I didn't swap the photo. I uploaded a [smaller] copy of the same photo here as your linked image was displaying "Posted Image" instead of showing up — hotlink protection.

Are you sure you were trying to display "Pop Kola" and not "Set a Spell?" Weird. I can change it out... although "Set a Spell" is the better photo. ;)

Here is a colorized version of "Set a Spell," beautifully crafted by Dennis Klassen:

gallery_321_1_78323.jpg

Dorothea Lange & Dennis Klassen / Shorpy

I think I'll pay a visit to the AA tonight... gonna put the eagle eye on the duck and the dog! ;)

thx99

Real-life Harry Caul
Playlist Author
I didn't swap the photo. I uploaded a [smaller] copy of the same photo here as your linked image was displaying "Posted Image" instead of showing up — hotlink protection.

Are you sure you were trying to display "Pop Kola" and not "Set a Spell?" Weird. I can change it out... although "Set a Spell" is the better photo. ;)
That's debatable!! ;) I definitely posted the "Pop Kola" image as it's the one with the image from the attraction featured in the comments below it. I don't really care one way or another. I was just wondering what I might have done wrong.

Here is a colorized version of "Set a Spell," beautifully crafted by Dennis Klassen:
Nice!!

I think I'll pay a visit to the AA tonight... gonna put the eagle eye on the duck and the dog! ;)
We expect a full report! Between the two, my money's on the dog having some sort of movement. :D

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
That's debatable!! ;)
What's debatable? Which one of us linked to the "wrong" photo? Whether "Set a Spell" is better? Or both? :lol:

I really don't know how the photos ended up getting swapped. I followed your original link, and while I did have to click a couple of times to find the downloadable image, I know I didn't go off chasing an alternate version. Weird.

I do know that "Set a Spell" is the better photo. The men don't look natural in "Pop Kola" as a couple of them are looking directly at the camera.

We expect a full report! Between the two, my money's on the dog having some sort of movement. :D
My money is/was on the dog, too. I saw today's 3:45pm show. Here is the scoop:

The duck doesn't move, although it's hard to tell, as the raft is bobbing and there is very little in the way of lighting.

The dog doesn't move, either, although his tail wildly flips up into the air (more like the way you'd expect to see a horse's tail moving) every few seconds.

So...

35 = Dog in Depression Scene

Case closed! Next! :)

thx99

Real-life Harry Caul
Playlist Author

Horizons

Playlist Author
Did you get the load music for us on this visit, or otherwise capture the exterior music off the ALD system?

Horizons

Playlist Author
No. But I watched the new digital projection of Impressions de France for you. :p
I should try the ALD system and see if the move to digital allows the load music to be picked up. Probably not, but worth a try.

thx99

Real-life Harry Caul
Playlist Author