Alt.Binaries.... help

hi,

wondering if someone would kind enough to explain this to me and help me understand it. I see ya'll talking about obtaining some items (music) from there but I'm so lost.

Pretty much a newbie but would love to obtain some of my favorites....

Thanks for the help in advance.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Using Newsgroups can be a bit daunting at first, but it really depends on who your ISP (Internet Service Provider) is and whether or not they have access to binary newsgroups. Newsgroups are essentially giant message boards where people can share information, discussion, and in the case of binary newsgroups, fairly large files.

A good start is the program "Grabit" http://www.shemes.com/index.php?p=features

It's a program that will let you download (but not post your own) binaries on newsgroups. It's fairly no-nonsense and is pretty easy to use, and it supports yENC (an encoding process, similar to "ZIP").

You will need the following information from your ISP:

Newsgroup server address
login information (if neccessary)

Do a search on your ISP's website for Newsgroups.

If your ISP doesn't support newsgroups, there are a number of Newsreader services for about $10 a month. If you plan on downloading a lot of material, you may want to consider this, since some ISP's put a cap on how much material you can download from a Newsgroup, and the rentention rate is much better with these services (retention is how long a particular message is available on a server before it's erased).

Good luck!

And if anyone out there uses OSX, try using Unison...

You can download it via http://www.versiontracker.com

Its extremly easy to use, and they will help you with the built in program to see if you have acess or not via your IP.

Note: Unison is only a read, and will not let you upload. For that you would need Hogwasher.

Hi Chuck,

Using Newsgroups can be a bit daunting at first, but it really depends on who your ISP (Internet Service Provider) is and whether or not they have access to binary newsgroups. Newsgroups are essentially giant message boards where people can share information, discussion, and in the case of binary newsgroups, fairly large files.

A good start is the program "Grabit" http://www.shemes.com/index.php?p=features

It's a program that will let you download (but not post your own) binaries on newsgroups. It's fairly no-nonsense and is pretty easy to use, and it supports yENC (an encoding process, similar to "ZIP").

You will need the following information from your ISP:

Newsgroup server address
login information (if neccessary)

Do a search on your ISP's website for Newsgroups.

If your ISP doesn't support newsgroups, there are a number of Newsreader services for about $10 a month. If you plan on downloading a lot of material, you may want to consider this, since some ISP's put a cap on how much material you can download from a Newsgroup, and the rentention rate is much better with these services (retention is how long a particular message is available on a server before it's erased).

Good luck!

But the problem is you need a credit card and we have no mailboxes where I am - no, I don;'t live out in the farm but in a suburb, also my mom controls things like this and I don't know about Chuck;'s situation..also there's the credit card isuse.Can you forge a credit card number or something/ I don't know how to do this and I don't know if Chuck would..

Eric

Steve, forging a credit card number is a federal offense and can get you charged/arrested with fraud...is that something you really wanna do? lol, i hope not. Nothing is worth that risk.

.Can you forge a credit card number or something/ I don't know how to do this and I don't know if Chuck would..

Nope ... not gonna forge anything!!!

So lets see if I get this right .... I have to download a program that will help me get this music . Is this some kind of file sharing program?.... Is there not an alt.binaries site that you go to and type in disney music for the search and it magically pops up ?

Why does this seem so confusing? Isn't there an easier way to share what we love to hear?

Man .... all I want to do is have a copy of my favorite music in the world to listen to.

Thanks for the advice and the time ... but I feel like I'm on the outside looking in ... anyone want to invite me in?

WishesFan

Hey, Chuck.

I agree with you! Why does it have to be so hard to listen to the best music ever?

I was just as confused on this topic as you are not three days ago. I?ll tell you everything I know about alt.binaries-

First of all, yes, sadly you can NOT go to a website and magically access alt.binaries. I know, it really sucks! You do have to download a program to access the posts and music downloads. I use Mac OS X so I downloaded a program called ?Unison.? It has a similar look to Outlook Express (e-mail program). There should be somewhere to type in an address for the group you are looking for. In our case, the EXACT address is--

alt.binaries.multimedia.disney.parks

It should then bring up the messages and the music files.

Now I know there?s this little matter of paying for access. When I downloaded the program from the Unison website, it gave me a message saying that I could use the program for free by typing the following as my server-

news.coxinet.net

I went into the Unison preferences and typed in news.coxinet.net as my server and all of a sudden all the messages started appearing! It was wonderful! The one setback of the free server is that you can?t upload files to the server, only download. But ya? know, that?s fine with me!

I hope this has been helpful. I know it?s a hassle but once you?re up and running, it?s Disney music heaven! If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me or send me an AIM.

Have a great day,
-Rick

alt.binaries.multimedia.disney is not a website and you can't access it without newsreader service. You'll have to talk to your parents about paying for services like this.

First ... I want to thank everyone for their responses and advice : )

... We use (gggrrrrr) aol as an ISP here and (GGGRRRR) dial up ....Do I have a chance??? we have windows xp and burn our disc w/ itunes or windows media player. Thinking about buying an ipod.We have every official release from WDW since 1997.

I have no problem paying for a service that will help me get the music that I love AND crave .. I just need some help and advice... most of all, I just wanna listen to Disney park music!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again ... Thanks to all and if I get confused I'll PM ya'll.

Enjoy life!
Chuck

Steve, forging a credit card number is a federal offense and can get you charged/arrested with fraud...is that something you really wanna do? lol, i hope not. Nothing is worth that risk.

.Can you forge a credit card number or something/ I don't know how to do this and I don't know if Chuck would..
No, I'm not serious (sorry) but I was advising the other guy that unless he's self-financing, and has a credit card and a near-by mailbox, ll of which I assume he has, and he doesn't have to clear things wiht an edler living with him, I would be careful about those subscirption things....I can save up moiney but CREDIT CARDS?? I ain't none (and yes it IS illegal to copy them, sorry for my lame attempt at being facetious..)

Re:Alt.Binaries.... help. part II

First ... I want to thank everyone for their responses and advice : )

... We use (gggrrrrr) aol as an ISP here and (GGGRRRR) dial up ....Do I have a chance??? we have windows xp and burn our disc w/ itunes or windows media player. Thinking about buying an ipod.We have every official release from WDW since 1997.

I have no problem paying for a service that will help me get the music that I love AND crave .. I just need some help and advice... most of all, I just wanna listen to Disney park music!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again ... Thanks to all and if I get confused I'll PM ya'll.

Enjoy life!
Chuck

Happy holidays to all!

To keep ya'll up to date ... like ya care : )

I downloaded the "Grabit" software ... since we use aol, what news service do ya'll recommend I subsribe to?

Also, I just celebrated my 40th B-day, a 15 year wedding anniversary and it's the holidays!!!

Somebody send me some Disney music, please!

Happy thoughts & dreams,

Chuck Mercier

ArnyVee

Are there any programs aside from Grabit? I can't seem to get it to work due to some problems with the program.

Any suggestions?

ArnyVee -- which version of GrabIt are you using? Ian has a new release that I've not bothered installing. Not sure if this will help or not but thought I'd ask. . .

Kenster

I think there are easier places to share that stuff, like a torrent site. The newsgroup idea seems archaic. It excludes some from participating as they don't want to pay a monthly fee.

ArnyVee

I now have Bellsouth as my ISP and I've been able to access the groups (although the Bellsouth servers have been down almost all the time lately!). But, how do I go about downloading the songs?

I can access them using Outlook, but the messages come up with a bunch of jarbled characters.

xfkirsten

I know how to do it in Outlook Express, but I'm not sure how Outlook differs. After you download all the messages that are part of the file you want, select all of them at once, then one of the menus at the top has a "Combine and Decode" option. Select that, and it should come up with all the messages you've selected. Make sure they're in the right order and combine them, and it should give you an actual file. :)

CPNHOOK15

:p

Whew! This alt.binaries thing looks like a monster! Asking for messages that need to be decoded, trying to find a server, figuring out whether or not/how much you have to pay..... geez! sounds like it takes all the fun outta collecting music to me.

Using MIRC is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier.

Tim C

xfkirsten

I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say MIRC is easier. ;D I've found hte newsgroups to be pretty simple, once you figure them out. Like MIRC, you just gotta wade through it all at the beginning, then it becomes much easier.

There has to be an easier way ... it should be a lil' easier than it it is now to collect some of the coolest music around.

I know I can find stuff on KAZA and other places but personally, I stay away from that envoriment.

From an outsider looking in, I wish I had half of the library some of you have ... I guess I have Disney music envy (lol).

Well, time to head to the Mardi Gras parade tonight (Endymion) ... Gene Simmons of KISS is one celebrity guest riding on a float (throwing beads and doubloons).
Also, eye candy Marissa Tomei (sp) is the Empress!

Later Dudes and Chicks,

Chuck