Adventureland Loops

Zarpman

So I've been sitting on this great track titled "Adventureland BGM" that clocks in at 40:02. I assume most of us have this. Is this from Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom or both? I recognize some of the tracks being played in and around Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom. Also, do any of these tracks have proper names, or are they all just generic ditties made up for the area?

I thought I had seen something about Adventureland loops here in the past, but a search didn't pull up anything and Kirsten's wonderful site hasn't documented any Adventureland goodies as of yet. Any ideas?

dtats

I'm pretty sure I've heard at least one of these tracks while in Animal Kingdom recently, near Pizzafari. It was the same track I've heard previously aboard the train in the Magic Kingdom, played as you enter Adventureland, as well as hearing it while on foot within Adventureland itself. Unfortunately, I have no idea what this track, or any of the others, for that matter, is called.

So I've been sitting on this great track titled "Adventureland BGM" that clocks in at 40:02. I assume most of us have this. Is this from Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom or both?
General area BGM has never been utilized at Disneyland's Adventureland.

TTiiMM

I believe you are both referring to the music of the group Balafon Marimba Ensemble. I was recently at WDW and heard their song "I Already Have a Husband" played both in Adventureland and at Animal Kingdom. I believe the 40:02 Adventureland BGM Loop is simply a rip of their first CD.

DavidG

The complete loop (mixed with other ethnic percussion tracks) also plays in the Africa part of Adventureland in Paris.

X-S Tech

DL in CA doesn't have any area music to speak of. Only attraction specific stuff that's only audible within each queue area.

xfkirsten

I have that same mp3, and boy do I know where that's from! ;) I used to work in Adventureland. ;) That particular loop is played at the entrance to Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom at WDW, between the bridge and the Treehouse. :)

I would love to add that one to my site... but I don't know any details on it! If anyone can help out with song names, etc, I'll definitely add it! This is one of those annoying things where I can virtually whistle the whole loop, but don't know enough information to actually post it. :)

-Kirsten

Zarpman

Thanks for the help gang. I was able to go to Amazon.com and identify some of the songs in the loop by the audio samples they provide. Balafon Marimba Ensemble it is! Now if we could find out the order these tracks play and get the list "official".

I have fond memories of this loop playing just outside of Adventureland. Until recently, when the park would open I would rush to Adventureland first and grab quick trips on Jungle Cruise and Swiss Family Treehouse while everyone else in the park was running after Space Mountain. Now they don't open until later. Bummer.

xfkirsten

I believe you are both referring to the music of the group Balafon Marimba Ensemble. I was recently at WDW and heard their song "I Already Have a Husband" played both in Adventureland and at Animal Kingdom. I believe the 40:02 Adventureland BGM Loop is simply a rip of their first CD.

I just went through said loop, song by song, and compared each track to the listings/samples on emusic.com, and it is indeed a direct rip of the CD.

My site's now been updated with the info for this loop!! :)

-Kirsten

Zarpman

So, does that mean that the official loop is a Balafon Marimba Ensemble CD, or that I have been had by someone passing off a ripped-CD as a loop because a few of the songs matched up? Anyone care to venture down to the park and get a reference recording? If I lived close enough, I'd be down there this weekend.

This has me a'wonderin'. :-

xfkirsten

It really sounds like the loop to me. There wasn't a song in there that I didn't recognize as being a part of the loop. :)

-Kirsten

Fr_Oblivious

Balafon Marimba Ensemble used to play on the elevated stage at DL in Adventureland occasionally. WDW added a couple of their clips to the area BGM, but there are others as well including some steel drum pieces. The mp3 in question is just the album, not the loop, as my memory serves.

xfkirsten

That would make sense... do you happen to know any of the titles of songs that WDW added? I know there's a couple of Steel Drum tracks floating around out there that are labelled as WDW Adventureland, that are not actually currently used.

-Kirsten

Steel Drum Music

Adventureland is my favorite land at the MK, and I love steel drum music, so when I saw it mentioned a few posts back, I thought I would pipe in.

At the Caribbean Plaza section of Adventureland at WDW, steel drum music is the what's playing, and I believe at least a few of the tracks are from a CD entitled "Steel Drum Festival", that I happened to come across when I was looking for some music to recreate the ambience outside Pirates; it's a neat 1958 field recording made in Antigua, of a small steel drum band, that has a real fresh, spontaneous feel to it. The tracks I THINK I heard are "I Can't Stand the Pressure," Spear Dance Cha Cha Cha," and maybe "Mary Ann."

The CD is available on amazon--anyone run across it? Could I be right?

Mike

P. S. Just checked out the Balafon Marimba Ensemble CD on amazon--great stuff!--they have two CD's; is the one used in the loop the first release(which happens to be out of stock, but available, I think, through the amazon z-shops)?

xfkirsten

YES!!! That's it!!!! Thank you! I've been wondering about those tracks for ages! When I worked in Adv/Pirates Merch, we always used to gripe and moan about hearing those songs over and over and over again (we even cheered when it got shut off for one reason or another... ;)) but now that I don't work there, I miss it...

And if memory serves, there's really not much more to that loop than those three songs... that was always our running joke, that there was only like two or three songs in the loop. ;)

-Kirsten

Edit: Just went through and listened to samples from all the other tracks... I also recognize "Mama Look a Boo Boo," "Zulu Chant," "Spur Dance," "Native Mambo" and "Fire Down Below" from the same CD... and I think also "Paloma." Could it be that Disney just used this CD in the area? (minus the introduction)

Thanks for the confirmation, Kirsten--sounds like you, if anyone, should know if I was right(actually, I'm a little jealous--I wouldn't mind being stationed for a while in the Caribbean Plaza area.....).

I can definitely say, though, that the CD is not the entire loop; there is one steel drum(or marimba?) song I've heard repeatedly over tacos at El Pirata y el Perico that is not on the CD. I'd recognize if I came across it again--wonder if it could be the Balafon Marimba Ensemble(is it their first CD that is the Adventureland loop?), just a thought--but actually, you would know, Kirsten, if any of their music is played around Pirates! Is their music just played around the entrance to Adventureland/WDW?

Thanks again,
Mike

xfkirsten

I think you're right about there being something else... I remember there was one track that always made me think of the song "Shake Senora" but that wasn't it (and I know it's not the "Shake Senora" track floating arounf the internet)... unless that track is on a segment of the Steel Drum Festival CD that wasn't included in preview clips.

I don't specifically recall any tracks I heard on that Balafon Marimba Ensemble CD being played in the Caribbean Plaza. From what I remember, that style was really only played from the bridge right up to about the Island Supply store.... between that store and Pirates was the Agrabah music... and then Pirates had the Caribbean Plaza tracks. I haven't worked in that area for a year and a half, though, now,

And working in the Caribbean Plaza area would have been much nicer if it wasn't so hectic all the time. ;)

Now, if anyone can help figure out the Agrabah Bazaar area music, I would be one happy former Adventureland CM... ;) Anyone? Anyone? .... Bueller??? ;)

-Kirsten