A History of the Official Album

BLM07

Bill said:
The very first Official Album (1980) remains my all-time favorite of all issues over the years.  It has nostalgic value to me as it was about around that time I went to Disneyland for the very first time.  I've had copies of this album over the years and now I have two copies and for one particluar reason:  The MSEP track on one copy is longer and has more music from the Dumbo unit which includes Casey Jr. and the Entry of the Gladiators.  Also in the track, is more of the Disney Neon Finale with a larger melody such as Heigh-Ho, When You Wish Upon A Star, Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, Whistle While You Work, The Mickey Mouse March, the track fades with Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf.  In addition, the Country Bear Jamboree track has the Teddi Barra song, "Heart, We Did All That We Could", instead of Terrance the Shaker's song, "How Long Will My Baby Be Gone". 

To those who have the 1980 album, have you noticed this in your copies?
...as always...chopped liver.
Chopped liver?  What does that mean?

Joseph

YellowRainbowFan76,

Once again I have the pleasure of translating Bill's humor to those less ironically inclined.

When someone says "What am I, chopped liver?", it basically means that the person saying it is being ignored or discounted in the discussions, or whose opinions or contributions are not being taken into account. A little hard to explain, but that's basically it.

Ergo, when Bill is referring to himself as chopped liver, he was referring to the post above his comment where the poster is discussing differences he has observed in the 1980 Official Album, and if anybody else had noticed this as well, etc., etc., - something that Bill has been talking about in this very thread. Hence, a reference to "What am I, chopped liver?".

Make sense?

YellowRainbowFan76,

Once again I have the pleasure of translating Bill's humor to those less ironically inclined.

When someone says "What am I, chopped liver?", it basically means that the person saying it is being ignored or discounted in the discussions, or  whose opinions or contributions are not being taken into account. A little hard to explain, but that's basically it.

Ergo, when Bill is referring to himself as chopped liver, he was referring to the post above his comment where the poster is discussing differences he has observed in the 1980 Official Album, and if anybody else had noticed this as well, etc., etc., - something that Bill has been talking about in this very thread. Hence, a reference to "What am I, chopped liver?".

Make sense?
Oh, OK, I get it. :) Thanks! I was a bit puzzled and was lost for a minute, LOL!

Since when has Bill had an official apologist?

"Curiouser and curiouser!" cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English).

The Trout

My 1980 vinyl has "How Long Will My Baby Be Gone," and fades after Small World and King Mickey on the MSEP. Now I wanna hear YOUR version!

If we wanna get down to the nitty gritty, I suppose we could check the stampers on the different records. Clearly they snuck a different version of the album out there at some point without bothering to change any of the art. In the deadwax of my record, I've got...

#2150-KMSP-387-SIDE 1-1
#2150-KMSP-387-SIDE 2-1

As an aside, this is sort of an oddity in my vinyl collection - there's no A1/A2/A3 etc at the end of the number to tell me which pressing this thing is. Usually, there'll be a combination of a capitol letter and a number to let you know if its a first pressing, second pressing, etc. (ie, A1 on side one would be a first pressing).

my copy fades out after Zip A Dee doo dah (the version heard just after the MMC disco) incidently was it the '88 release that also included "Hungry As A Bear" from the "Country Bear Christmas Special" I know it was on one OA but I don't remember wich one.

Gurgitoy2

I think "Hungry as a Bear" was only on the 1988 "Official Album" LP and cassette. For some reason, I don't think it's on the CD version (I could be wrong though). I know that by the time it was re-released in 1991, it was missing that track, and only "The Great Outdoors" was included.

The Trout

I got this disc in the mail yesterday, coincidentally, and it IS awesome - all live entertainment. Also, some of the live tracks that were later repeated on Official Albums are longer here. Coney Island Washboard, for instance, is almost twice as long here as compared to the "Main Street Medley" tracks on later albums.

Gurgitoy2

We're overlooking an official album from Walt Disney World from 1973. It is a 12 inch picture disc released presumably at the same time as the Electrical Water Pageant picture disc. It's called "A Musical Souvenir of Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom". While it has some staples on there like "Coney Island Washboard" which every knows, it is comprised entirely of tracks from the musical groups that were found in the park before the company decided that we don't care about live music.

Here's the track listing:

Side One
1. WDW Band - Hi to You/Zip a Dee Doo Dah/Whistle While You Work
2. Dapper Dans - Coney Island Washboard
3. Saxophone Quartet - Minnie's Yoo Hoo/Hurry
4. Main Street Pianist - Maple Leaf Rag
5. Pearly Band - Spoonful of Sugar/Chim Chim Cheree/Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
6. Banjo Kings - Swanee River
7. Fife and Drum Corps - Liberty Tree/British Grenadiers
8. Kids of the Kingdom - I Love a Parade

Side Two
1. Town Band - Mickey Mouse March
2. Tavern Singers - How Great is the Pleasure/To Our Musical Club
3. Polka Band - Heigh Ho/Whistle While You Work
4. Blue Grass Boys - Tennessee
5. Mariachi Chaparral - Guadalajara
6. Steel Drum Band - PP 99 - Adventureland Delight
7. Walt Disney World Band - It's a Small World

I wouldn't call that an Official Album though. We're only talking about releases that have "Official Album" in the title, or are comprised of mostly attraction audio. I would lump the "Musical Souvenir" album in with all the other entertainment releases over the years.

Gurgitoy2

I got this disc in the mail yesterday, coincidentally, and it IS awesome - all live entertainment.  Also, some of the live tracks that were later repeated on Official Albums are longer here.  Coney Island Washboard, for instance, is almost twice as long here as compared to the "Main Street Medley" tracks on later albums.
Yes, and there are bits that are nice to hear since we've been so used to the OA versions of the tracks.  Like the "Hurry" part at the end of "Minnie's Yoo Hoo", and the longer "Maple Leaf Rag".  The best part for me is having "Liberty Tree" by the fife & drum corps!

The Trout

Yeah, all the live entertainment rules, though with God as my witness, I will never ever EVER enjoy "I Love A Parade." Luckily, it's at the end of side one so I can just flip the record when it comes up!

stevek

Is there a listing/official or unofficial discography outlining each US Official Album park release with tracklistings? I'd love to see the more detailed comparisons from year to year and have a single list in one place.

BLM07

stevek

Is there a listing/official or unofficial discography outlining each US Official Album park release with tracklistings? I'd love to see the more detailed comparisons from year to year and have a single list in one place.
Always a WIP, but Wikipedia has quite a few :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Disn...eme_park_albums

I've just added the Musical Souvenir album too.
Gracias...for some reason I rarely go to Wiki for anything.  Lots of good info on the albums there for sure.

almandot

Anybody click Randy's name on that wikipedia?  The resulting page is very interesting....

Wikipedia said:
In 1998, he became a professional wrestler under the name of Swoll in World Championship Wrestling. He was a member of Master P's No Limit Soldiers and feuded with the West Texas Rednecks. He also wrestled in New Japan Pro Wrestling before leaving the sport in 1999.