20 CD Boxed Set

shicorp

As this is a reply to a rather old topic, I thought, I'd better include the original message:
"Yes, this is the set I mentioned a few months ago. The material on the soundtracks is indeed the material of the Classic Soundtracks. The additional unreleased stuff are demos that I fully restored but was not able to include on the seperate US releases.

The Winnie the Pooh disc is a collection of re-recordings of the songs and a few cues of underscore. These recordings were done for the Many Adevntures of Winnie the Pooh CD storyteller we released back in the late 80's early 90's. Though it is not the original soundtrack, the original arrangements were used. It is Jim Cummings as Pooh.

Anxiously waiting for my copy to arrive!

Randy Thornton"

OK, here's my question: Which tracks on "Snow White", "Bambi", "Dumbo", "Cinderella", "Lady And The Tramp", "Sleeping Beauty", "Peter Pan", "Pinocchio" and "Mary Poppins", do I miss, if I buy the Classic Soundtrack Series instead of this boxed set?

Gurgitoy2

Well, Mary Poppins is not included in the boxed set. I would wait for the deluxe edition this December anyway. As for the others, I'll go home and check for you. I do know offhand that Alice in Wonderland had the most bonus material of any of the discs. Cinderella was another one that had quite a bit more bonus tracks. I was disappointed that the later films from The Little Mermaid on didn't get bonus tracks, even though there was material that could have been released. Oh well.

Gurgitoy2

The 20 titles in this set are:

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
2. Pinocchio
3. Dumbo
4. Bambi
5. Cinderella
6. Alice in Wonderland
7. Peter Pan
8. Lady and the Tramp
9. Sleeping Beauty
10. The Jungle Book
11. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
12. The Little Mermaid
13. Beauty and the Beast
14. Aladdin
15. The Lion King
16. Pocahontas
17. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
18. Hercules
19. Mulan
20. Tarzan

Numbers 12 through 20 have absolutely nothing over the regular CD releases, other than their exclusive artwork. I'll give you a list of specific tracks not availible on any domestic release later. I can only go off of recollection now, but here's the gist of it. (I'll only mention 1 through 11 since the rest have no bonus tracks).

Snow White has very little extra. I don't think Pinocchio has any extra tracks. Dumbo has one, I think. Bambi also has one. Cinderella has four or five, I think. Alice in Wonderland has more than Cinderella (maybe 7 or 8?). Peter Pan might have two. Lady and the Tramp doesn't have much, if any. Sleeping Beauty has none. The Jungle Book has three, I think. Winnie the Pooh is hard to say, because it's never been released this way in the US. Everything is newly recorded though, which is unfortunate. It's also the shortest of all of the CD's.

When I get home later tonight, I'll post each extra track for you so you'll know exactly what you'll be missing if you decide to pick up the Classic Soundtrack Series versions instead.

Gurgitoy2

Trent,

They're similar, but there is one big difference. The one you linked to is the songs and story. The one from the Japanese set is just the songs with some short (very short) score cues.

I just wish we could have gotten the original Sterling Holloway recordings. I have absolutely no idea why we keep getting the newly recorded stuff foisted on us.

Gurgitoy2

OK, I'm home now, so here's the listing of bonus material on the "Disney Dreams" boxed set. The tracks are listed on each CD as "Bonus Tracks for Disney Dreams", however some have been released domestically in some form. Pinocchio, Dumbo, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, and The Jungle Book have NO bonus tracks other than the Classic Soundtrack Series versions.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs:
- The Bed Building Sequence (Demo Recording)

Bambi:
- Bambi's Dream Sequence (Demo Recording)
- The Fire Sequence (Demo Recording)
- Walt Disney (Interview)
- Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas (Interview)
- Henry Mancini (Interview)
I believe these interviews were also included on the Celebration series CD's done in the early 80's. There was also a Snow White CD under this series.

Cinderella:
- Dancing on a Cloud (Demo Recording)
- The Mouse Song (Demo Recording)
- Sing a Little, Dream a Little (Demo Recording)
- I Lost My Heart at the Ball (Demo Recording)
- The Dress that My Mother Wore (Demo Recording)
- Cinderella (Demo Recording)

Alice in Wonderland:
- If You Believe in Me (Demo Recording)
- The Entrance of the Executioner (Demo Recording)
- Dream Caravan (Demo Recording)
- The Jabberwock Song (Demo Recording)
- Will You Join the Dance (Demo Recording)
- Alice and the Cheshire Cat (Demo Recording)
- The Carpenter is Sleeping (Demo Recording)
- Humpty Dumpty (Demo Recording)
- When the Wind is in the East (Demo Recording)
- Brahms' Lullaby (Kathryn Beaumont Voice Test)

Peter Pan:
- The Pirate Song (Demo Recording)
- Beyond the Laughing Sky (Male Vocal) (Demo Recording)
- Beyond the Laughing Sky (Female Vocal) (Demo Recording)
The two "Beyond the Laughing Sky" tracks were actually written for Alice in Wonderland, and were included on that film's Archive Collection laserdisc. Once you hear the tracks though, it's instantly clear why they were also put on this Peter Pan CD.

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh:
- Winnie the Pooh Theme
- Waterfall
- Sad Tigger
- Eeyore
These are the score tracks, and they are very short.

So, my recollection of these CD's was sort of fuzzy, since I thought some CD's had tracks when they didn't , and I underestimated a couple of them.

If you have a way to only pick up a few of these CD's, I highly recommend Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland for most bonus content. I would say it's not worth it to get the whole entire set, unless you want the exclusive artwork for each disc, as well, as a large litho print of each of the CD covers, a book, and another special lithograph commisioned for this set. It really is a very nicely presented set, with the nice box and everything, but if you're just into it for the bonus material, you will be disappointed.

Gurgitoy2

Matt,

It's a Japanese boxed set of 20 soundtracks called "Disney Dreams". It was released in 1999, and is now pretty hard to find. I couldn't even find anything on the web about it anymore. It comes in a huge, white, sturdy box. Each of the CD's has custom cover art that is consisitent with all 20 CD's. There are also large lithographs of each of the covers, with some info about the CD/Movie on the back. They are very nice. It also comes with a book with track listings and info (all in Japanese). Then there's another special edition lithograph made exclusively for the set with Disney characters flying away in a tall ship in the clouds. Lastly, there's a pin, a plastic collectors card with the edition number on it, and a watch.

It was talked about a long time ago on the boards before the big move. It's probably in the archive somwhere. but hasn't been brought up again until today. I have seen some of the CD's sold individually on Ebay, but not listed as being part of this set. I don't think the sellers knew they were since each of the CD's was sealed in plastic, so they look like they could be sold by themselves.

Thank you very much, Ben. The CD set seems to be a very good collection. What a shame the Disney Compnay didn't release it here in the states.

shicorp

Ben, many thanks for the track listing! Really appreciated.

Let's hope, that some of these tracks will appear on upcoming DVD issues. I really would appreciate an audio vault (as on some Warner DVD's) instead of these senseless "adventure games".