1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

We've Just Begun to Dream

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Alex K, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Alex K

Alex K Member

Sorry, I couldn't find anything in the archives, and I didn't visit Epcot until years after its opening. Was "We've Just Begun to Dream" the day-one entrance music? Was this theme used anywhere else in the park in its early days? It seems to be the same theme used in The Living Seas. Was this lined up to be used in The Living Seas, or was the theme just recycled when the attraction was created? Besides these versions, and the arrangement used in the Illiminations exit music ca. 1996 (or was it 1997?) was there any other version recorded? Thanks.

2. bigBrian-nc

bigBrian-nc New Member

I am not sure what version of we've just begun the dream you heard. I have two versions one is is the one I imagine was used on opening day that includes naration "good morning and welcome to EPCOT center..."ect I believe the narator is Jack Wagner. I don't know but it seems likely it could have been played at opening in EPCOT for a long time after that, though eventually it's "welcome to the 21st centry" line would have dated it.
    The other version I have is also titled EPCOT Fanfare and it is from a live recording someone made at EPCOT Although live recordings can sometimes be difficult to listen to, I think the loud nature of the drum and Bugle corps lent itself well to this and in my opinion the live recordings I have heard of them are more enjoyable than the studio tracks I have heard due to both the crowd reaction, and occasionally the information the band leader gave introducing the musical numbers.

3. Shane

Shane Member

The last time I was at WDW in Aug. '97 they still used the Jack Wagner narrated version at park opening every day. Do they still use this now or did they drop it when they began to change the Entrance's area music loop?

4. innoventionseast

innoventionseast New Member

"We've Just Begun to Dream" was used extensively during the opening ceremonies at Epcot. I know for a fact that it was used during the park's main grand opening ceremony, as well as the Communicore grand opening ceremony. This video footage is available to cast members via the WDW Centers of Excellence. It's almost worth getting a job there to see the videos! The choreography is very... 1982. :) Here are the lyrics as I transcribed them:

In you heart there?s a place,
    a magical space, where it all begins
    With your life as a guide,
    You light up inside, and it starts to spin

Just close you eyes, and dream of things to come
    In dreams, we make tomorrow
    We?ve just begun
    We?ve just begun, we?ve just begun

Open your eyes
    A fantasy in time
    Open your eyes to find, a brand new world
    A shining star???

A new creation
    It?s all around you

A celebration
    A celebration

A new sensation
    It will astound you

A celebration
    A celebration

An inspiration
    A fascination

A celebration
    A celebration

A celebration
    A better nation
    Imagination

Celebrate, as we create
    A new tomorrow

Celebrate, a dream is made?
    A new tomorrow

The world awaits, celebrates
    A new creation

Celebrate, celebrate
    Imagination

We?ve just begun, we?ve just begun
    To dream??.

Other than that, I'm not sure where else it was used, aside from the previously mentioned references.

- innoventionseast

5. SharonKurland

SharonKurland Active Member

I don't know Bill, but if it IS...wow...Disney recycling something...WHAT a concept!

-Sharon-

6. Gurgitoy2

Gurgitoy2 Active Member

Bill, you're right! I pulled out my liner notes for EuroDisney "Feel the Magic" and "We've Just Begun to Dream" was indeed used as the opening song for that. They didn't use the chorus though.

Disney does recycle things a lot. Like re-using "Remember the Magic" for "Believe...in Holiday Magic", and using "Surprise in the Skies" music for the "Tokyo DisneySea Theme Song", and many others.

7. bigBrian-nc

bigBrian-nc New Member

thanks innoventions east! you guys inspire me! heres the text of the Jack Wagner version the opening verses you list are new to me i'd love to hear a file with them in it
    in the morning opening version these verses are not sung instead the music begins and build for about 58-60 seconds before the announcer speaks
    music continues under him
    Announcer presumably Jack Wagner Good morning ladies and gentlemen boys and girls. All of us at Epcot center are glad to have you as our guests today, we welcome you and hope you find your day with us to be a most enjoyable one Walt Disney was a dreamer and a doer, a man who cared about the world and its
    problems he believed that people could develop solutions to problems if equipped with information, technology, and opportunity. Epcot center has been created to showcase prototype concepts and technologies that may someday serve people everywhere. This is the essence of Epcot Center a collective endeavor by people, for people in the hope for a better world.
    From all of us in the Disney family we hope you enjoy
    your stay in Epcot center.
    and now we ask for your safety and those around you that you walk slowly and carefully to your first destination.
    Have a great day and welcome to the 21st century

(music volume comes back up at 205)
    2:52 Chorus of women:
    A new creation
    Chorus of men: It's all around you

Chorus of women: A celebration
    Chorus of men: A celebration

Chorus of women: A new sensation
    Chorus of men: It will astound you

Chorus of women: An inspiration
    Chorus of men: A fascination

Chorus of men: A better nation

full chorus together: Im-ag-ina-tiouuuuuuun!
    Celebrate! as we create
    A new tomorrow

Celebrate! a dream is made
    A new tomorrow

The world awaits! celebrates!
    A new creation

Celebrate!
    celebrate!
    Im-ag-ina-tiouuuuuuun!
    chorus 1 of men and women: We've just beg------un,
    chorus 1 holds note as chorus 2 of men and women sing: we've just begun
    Both choruses together again:
    To dre-------------am.
    my clip of this is 4 min and 09 seconds long and though the song seems complete the fade out into an electronic sound that has a sort of fizzing soda sound seems a bit cut off

8. innoventionseast

innoventionseast New Member

Your best bet on hearing the above lyrics is to work at WDW! As a cast member, you have access to a vast library of historical videos, including several videos documenting the opening of Epcot. It's strictly against company policy to copy or distribute these materials, and one would certainly be risking their job, and possible legal action, if they did so. Despite all the WDW audio/video that can be found on the web, I've never seen anything from the Centers of Excellence.

The best I can do is offer you a description of what I remember from the Communicore video, and how those "new" lyrics fit into the mix...

The video started off with a 3-platform stage set up in front of what I think was Communicore East, plaza entrance. They had this procession of CMs carrying these tall Epcot signs with the old "retro" Epcot logos. One of the signs had the Communicore logo. Behind the stage was a band, which may have been Future Corps. Not sure on that though. The music was vamping during the entire procession, exactly as heard in the first few seconds of the opening announcement clip you referred to. Then came the 80?s dancing. Pretty funny stuff. Between the costumes and the choreography, I spent a great deal of time laughing. Ah, the 1980?s. To get a good idea of what I?m talking about, go to http://www.intercot.com/edc/Horizons/hconstr.html The pics at the bottom show a very similar ceremony for Horizons, with the same stage setup, costumes, and Epcot signs. So the ?talent? sung and danced ?We?ve Just Begun to Dream? as heard in your ?Opening? recording. Then the WDW Ambassador came up to give a speech, followed by the Disney CEO at the time ? I think it was Card Walker? Then they had some guys from Sperry Univac speak. Then they did a RARE live performance of that song they used to have at ?Computer Central?, with the British guy that everyone seemed to dislike. It?s the song that?s on the original Epcot LP. If you didn?t like that song, then you?re REALLY not going to like the live version! After that, is where those ?new? lyrics come in. The Epcot future-dancer-people came back onstage and they started singing those verses. I cannot think of anywhere else I have heard that particular melody. All I can remember is it?s somewhat laid-back. That, and there was this hot brunette that I was really interested in. Of course, she?s probably a bit too old for me now. :) Then they break back into the ?We?ve Just Begun to Dream? lyrics that you?re familiar with. I remember them using a lot of fake smoke in the end, and releasing a bunch of balloons after declaring the attraction dedicated.

Anyhow, best of luck in obtaining this rare footage. Hopefully if it hits the web, we?ll hear about it on this message board. Perhaps try asking the folks over at alt.binaries.multimedia.disney. I also know there are a few Epcot CMs that spend time on the WDWMagic forums. But I wouldn?t expect too many of them to risk their jobs for something like this.

-innoventionseast