Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room

Hello,
I've tried to look for info on this Disneyland attraction on the web with not much luck. There isn't a definite website for this classic attraction! I might just spend some time and build one myself. According to some websites, United Airlines didn't start sponsoring until a year after it opened. That is probably a mistake. Anyone with more info? As far as audio, I've found the following: A 10-12 minute Barker Bird (when was he replaced?), The Flavor of Hawaii (film)(when did this start? Are there more than 1 versions?), The pre-show Tikis in two forms: Pre and post United, The show in Stereo (thanks Randy!), the show instrumental, the isolated female vocals, and two different loops (any more info on these?). ANyone know of any other soundtracks I might be missing? (Disneyland only). Also, was there any soundtrack to any of the Polynesian shows there? How many shows where there? Maybe one of my loops is from there. Where can I find artwork from the Tikis? (Davis, Crump). Questions, questions...Calling all Tiki fans!!!!
I sure wich Disney would wise up and spend some money restoring this attraction to it's original glory (including a new audio mix!). This attraction would also be a great candidate for a Christmas show. Imagine a Tiki Christmas!!! If anybody has any coments, please contact me. Talk to you all soon....

Your friend,
Louis Gonzalez
Louisg@hotmail.com

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/atomobile/

I forgot to mention,
I also have an alternate version of the show. It's an earlier restaurant version that Walt would play for people in the Burbank lot. It doesn't have the Tiki, Tiki, TIki Room song nor the closing number, nor Heigh Ho. The rest is all there but in different form. There are no narrating birds, Let's all sing is wistled instead of sung, Hawaiian War chant is in English. The vocals all sound like the same performers as the final show, even the chanters. My favorite! There is also a New Orleans Square loop with the parrot that has a short Tiki Room clip. Any more info? Anything I'm missing that's around?

Your friend,
Louis Gonzalez
Louisg@hotmail.com

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/atomobile/

Anyone with more info? As far as audio, I've found the following: A 10-12 minute Barker Bird (when was he replaced?), The Flavor of Hawaii (film)(when did this start? Are there more than 1 versions?), The pre-show Tikis in two forms: Pre and post United, The show in Stereo (thanks Randy!), the show instrumental, the isolated female vocals, and two different loops (any more info on these?).

Actually there are two other versions of the show in stereo "out there": those two were also made from the DLF and WDWF tracks. One incomplete and incorrectly ordered version from the DisneylandSource.com, and the complete version that I made two years ago, using only the DLF tracks (for the sake of consistent sound quality). Randy's version makes the third, and as of later tonight, my corrected version will make a fourth version of the Tiki show in stereo, without Randy's goofs. I threw it together in just two evenings, and it's a much more professional-sounding compilation than Randy's. Check the a.b.m.d. newsgroup later tonight if you want to hear it for yourself, then compare them.

Well, I guess that makes 4 versions of the show in stereo now in circulation.

Tah-tah for now! Bwah-ha-ha-ha-haaaa!

GG

Hello,
WHen they edited the complete Tiki Room show for the forever systems, I'm sure someone had the complete, smooth flowing, unedited version of the shows. I wonder why those didn't "flow" out? Not even Scott L. Jordan, who was in charge of the Forever system, has a copy! And I'd still like to know if any other audio exists among collectors, and some info on the ages of the tracks as I asked before. Anybody?

Your friend,
Louis Gonzalez

X-S Tech

GG What's the track time for your mix and what are some obvious ways to tell it from the "incorrect" DLF version? I really don't notice a lot of the flaws that you guys have mentioned, but of course we didn't realize there was anything wrong with Video's till we got DVD's. Are there missing lines or something easy to spot that would clue me in? I have one of these mixes but I'm not sure which one? If I remember correctly there was a line or two left out of the Forever tracks.

Mine runs 17:28. The easiest way to tell is from the name on the track (Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room - 2003 Compilation Rebuild.mp3), and in the comments box of the tag info (Encoded by LAME version 3.92 (http://www.mp3dev.org/) Rebuilt from previously released tracks by Grinning Ghost, November 2003.).

As far as listening to the track, hopefully you won't notice anything amiss. But, as they were from a pre-mixed source, I had to get creative on "In the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room". The Wonderland mix used the Official album version, in which Fritz and Pierre's vocals are reversed from their placement on the DLF tracks. (Actually, they were in the correct place on the original; Jose and Michael were not. The channels have simply been flipped to match the rest.) I switched Fritz and Pierre back to where they belong. The drawback is that now the percussion suddenly switches places. It's much less noticeable than the birds mysteriously swapping places from where they are in the rest of the mix. I also had to add in the line "A little softer now" from the DLF version - it's not in the Offical one. Most of the rest of the Wonderland mix is lifted straight from the DLF tracks, since the birds' vocals were in stereo - and so is mine. The WDWF tracks are far superior quality, but the principle cast is in mono on those. In the WMS mix, the WDWF version of the War Chant is used (DLF is split into two parts, and is missing the harp glissando thanks to a fade-out), but with the opening and closing dialog from the DLF version. That is where the most noticeable mistake is in the WMS version, just when switching back to DLF during the storm. The two versions were cross-faded together, but not synchronized properly, causing a flanging effect. In mine, I chose to place the edit elsewhere, so that it's imperceptible. I think I also used a different version of "Farewell and Aloha" as it had more fidelity. Darned if I know where that one came from.

I don't recall ever stating that the DLF version is "incorrect". The DLF version is essentially complete, sans the harp glissando and the gong sound. I did say that it's the one that has the funky reverb, and not the best sound quality. The only "incorrect" version out is from the DisneylandSource.com, as whole numbers are missing and the tracks that are there are in the wrong order.

Is that enough info for you? The subject has been covered ad-nauseum and in great detail in other posts if you still need more information, under the Wonderland Music Store News and Reviews heading.

GG

X-S Tech

LouisG how do the two versions of the Lanai Tikis differ? Does Tangaroa Ru make reference to United Airlines?!

cop4ever

hi what is a.b.m.d and what is the web adress would love to hear what you have i use to work the tiki room in disneyland in the 90's and alwas loved it

The current lanai music (only a few short selections-selected by Jack Wagner)....which seems to have played forever wasn't the original BGM....the original, from a bi-directions 10" TApe-a-thon reel track is times at (80:30)
each direction.( a tape-a-thon was a reel that would play one driection, and while it was basicly rewinding, could play again and again.....this is how most of the parks area music was done for many years......

Original Tiki Background
(80:30)
bi-directional
no date listed

It's possible this may have been from WDW......as sometimes the WED guys would refer to Tropical Serenade as the "Tiki Room"

And a Jack Wagner copy of the Tahittian Terrace show with his intros , but a live recording of the show....done trought the sound board.

DL FLIGHT 295
aka
DC-88 SPACELINER

another side note:

on a side note:

on 7 1/2 reels WERE: Adventureland bridge w/birds
(9-71) I'M ASSUMING WDW
Tahittian Terrace BGM
(7-20-73)

these reels were so deterioated they were rubbing off the playback heads and had to be removed. They were not masters, but play copies that had been retired.

DL FLIGHT 295
aka
DC-88 SPACELINER

well, a Tiki Room Christmas may be a problem, ya see
Pierre and Michael are actually Jewish........I think Rongo is too. Wink!

DL FLIGHT 295
aka
DC-88 SPACELINER

X-S Tech

Not music related but does anyone know when Jose went from being a green parrot to the red (and rainbow) colored parrot he is today? Page 157 of the "Remembering Walt" book has him in green with his name clearly visible. Did any of the other host parrots change color? Did it have something to do with the barker Bird being removed (he was colored like the current Jose right?).

Not music related but does anyone know when Jose went from being a green parrot to the red (and rainbow) colored parrot he is today? Page 157 of the "Remembering Walt" book has him in green with his name clearly visible. Did any of the other host parrots change color? Did it have something to do with the barker Bird being removed (he was colored like the current Jose right?).

I'm not familiar with the photo, but they have a habit of using various different birds to portray "Jose". In a video I have (circa 1965), they show Walt talking to a rainbow Jose who is wearing a straw hat and bow tie. A bit later, we spy a brief glimpse of the Barker Bird, who is clearly red, but suddenly, we cut to a close-up of that first bird with the hat again in the Barker Bird's place, offering a look behind the scenes (love the coffeepot in that one!). They show a tech working on a green bird, the real Jose I believe. Then we get into the show, and there is a green Jose, without the hat. Three different birds shown, all supposed to be Jose. (Of course we know that the real Barker Bird is Jose's cousin.) The one they showed with the hat looked a lot like Fritz in that video (at least I think it was Fritz in that one...) So, they use the birds interchangeably, assuming that no one will ever notice.

GG

X-S Tech

That makes sense from a promotional standpoint. Sometimes all the pieces of an attractions aren't finished when promotional photography needs to be taken and I can understand using "understudy" birds. But I wonder if both versions of Jose actually performed in the Tiki Room. I'm sure Disney never expected the theme park characters to take on the stature that his animated characters had, and so maybe they were blase about interchanging.

s8ntmark

I've always wanted a Tiki Room Christmas show. I can just see the birds doing Mele Kalikimaka!

Holy Smokes Sgt623, I was totally thinking the exact same thing...Mele Kalikimaka: A Tiki Room Holiday :D heh, awesome.

Hey I have a question for anyone who knows it...people are talking about the incorrect positions of the birds in the Wonderland releases...ie Jose isnt in his proper place, and Pierre and Micheal arent either....but, the Tiki room is in the round...the position of the birds is relative to where you are sitting, the only thing that really matters is the position of the birds to themselves...

What is the guide line to where each bird should be? Official (and "unofficial") releases?

Dang so much out there I dont have....Im very curious about this second enchanted garden track.... :/

Hey I have a question for anyone who knows it...people are talking about the incorrect positions of the birds in the Wonderland releases...ie Jose isnt in his proper place, and Pierre and Micheal arent either....but, the Tiki room is in the round...the position of the birds is relative to where you are sitting, the only thing that really matters is the position of the birds to themselves...

What is the guide line to where each bird should be? Official (and "unofficial") releases?

You are correct in that the show is "in the round", and therefore the bird's postitions vary depending upon where you sit. The point is that they stay anchored to their perches throughout the entire show. The problem is, when Mr. Thornton assembled the Wonderland version of the show, he used a variety of sources (Disneyland/Walt Disney World Forever, an "official" album version, etc.) that had the birds in different postions during different numbers, as they were mixed by different people at different times, and not originally mixed to be played together with the rest of the show like that. It gives the illusion that the birds are moving about. Mr. Thornton didn't correct this in his version, as he was using pre-mixed sources rather than building the show from scratch and getting it right, keeping the listener's perspective in mind. I have reassembled the show, from the same sources, making the corrections that he did not. Now the show has continuity, save for a small bit of percussion moving about briefly. It's far less noticeable than having the birds swapping places. It doesn't really matter where the birds are positioned, so long as they stay in those positions throughout the entire show, which they do not in the "official" Wonderland Music Store version. I'll upload my version of the Tiki Room to the a.b.m.d. binaries newsgroup tonight if you'd care to have a listen.

GG

Yes there are two versions of the Disneyland "Enchanted Tiki Garden" one is with United and the other is without mention of a sponsor.....like Dole. The tiki's make mention of the airline in conjunction
with their ledgend......Rongo flies a kite, because he wants to fly like Tiki-Flight big bird in sky.....(this isn't verbate).......Hina goddess of the East winds.......keeps the winds of the south seas fast like the planes of United...." And Pele explains the the function of a airplane seat safetly belt.

........ok the part of Pele I made up!!

DL FLIGHT 295
aka
DC-88 SPACELINER