1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Trick or Treat

Discussion in 'Disney at the Movies' started by Magic Music, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Magic Music

Magic Music Administrator Playlist Author

Does an audio recording of Trick or Treat, by Thurl Ravenscroft and The Mellowmen, used for the 1952 short by the same name, starring Donald Duck, his nephews, and Witch Hazel, exist on CD or vinyl?

2. SpectroPluto

SpectroPluto Member

3. Horizons

Horizons Playlist Author

Almandot posted a version of "Trick or Treat" here last Halloween. I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for, or where he got it. Link below.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mqkjy5

4. Magic Music

Yeah, I thought about ripping a DVD and getting the audio from there. It appears that there are longer song segments in the Trick or Treat short than there are on the Trick or Treat vinyl record.

The catchy little tune was written by Paul J. Smith.

Adventurers Club fans will recognize this song as one that was performed during the special Halloween shows in the Library.

5. Magic Music

Hmmm. It sounds like it was pieced together from the film. Thanks for the link, it'll do, and it saves me from reproducing much the same, but I was really hoping Disney or The Mellowmen would have released a stand-alone version featuring just Thurl and gang.

6. MightyTriton

MightyTriton New Member

Sort of along the same thread, I have been listening to a lot of Halloween albums this year. While it is not a Disney album, you can hear Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees on Spike Jones Spooktacular.

Mighty Triton

7. Greg Ehrbar

Greg Ehrbar Member

In addition to the incomplete song appearing in short bits on the aforemention Disneyland LP, Karen and Cubby also recorded their own version for a Mickey Mouse Club LP called HOLIDAYS WITH THE MOUSEKETEERS, reissued as THE Disneyland LP HAPPY BIRTHDAY & SONGS FOR EVERY HOLIDAY. Their version is slower and has some lyric changes.

8. makeminemusic

makeminemusic Member

That was good timing Greg. I pulled out the 45rpm of Scarecrow of Romney Marsh (LG-774) this morning to record and on the flip side was a Trick or Treat version. As I listened I said to myself, "That sounds like Karen and Cubby" so you confirmed it for me :) Thanks!

9. almandot

almandot Member

I made my version I posted using the 3 parts to the song from the movie like was suggested. I felt that was the most complete way to do it.

10. Magic Music

almandot,

Do you have something better than 128 kbps?

11. almandot

almandot Member

Well, I have it in decompressed ac3 48khz audio. But what, were you planning on blasting this in the Disney Concert Hall or something? :D

12. Magic Music

Cool. Can you hook me up?

Yes, something like that. :D

13. almandot

almandot Member

What the hell, I'm game. :D But I expect video of whatever you use it for and that it's not just going to some site. :p And it better be a kick-@$ stereo system. PM'ed it. okay i guess PM's don't work. email'ed it to your .mac

14. almandot

almandot Member

Dave O'Neal would never include a lossless quality track on one of his CDs. It has to be a 24kbps 2khz 8-bit midi file upconverted to 16bit 44.1khz cd quality straight from the master reel.

15. Magic Music

Got it, thanks, Almandot!

Get real. Dave Oneal would release the entire cartoon (video+audio) straight from the original negative in Disney's vault and then digitally enhanced with a unique encoding process from YouTube.

16. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

I don't think Disney has Trick or Treat in their vault anymore. They'll probably have to buy it from Dave.

17. BJWanlund

BJWanlund Member

I have a question. Is this the only time a WB character and a WB voice actor actually appeared in a Disney short cartoon (Witch Hazel and June Foray, respectively)?

BJ

18. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

I heard June tell a story about Witch Hazel one time and how Disney and WB had a character named that. For the life of me I can't remember it right now. But man, would it have been relevant right about now...

19. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

http://spanengrish.blogspot.com/2008/03/wh...itch-hazel.html

According to that blog, Disney did it first. An excerpt:

"In covering Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I stumbled upon an interesting tidbit about Witch Hazel, one of my favorite female Looney Tunes. There was never just one Witch Hazel. Disney had their own version, but the Warner Bros. appeared in Roger Rabbit... well actually, in deleted scenes. Animator Chuck Jones (one of my favorite animators), of his own admission, got the idea of Witch Hazel from the Disney cartoon."

20. johnnylloydrollins

johnnylloydrollins New Member

Hey Almandot,

I thought your edit of trick or treat was pretty good, it's exactly how I would have edited it. Plus the bitrate is fine for that song... It's not like there is some crazy dynamic range in the song... 128 is perfect.