Track Organization

B

Bill

Track Organization Question

Hi there.

Just wondering if anyone has come up with a great track database system OTHER than storing all the tracks on your harddrive (as in iTunes)?

I started an Excel database, it's ungainly and takes FOREVER to maintain. Anyone have a better system?

(Life was so much easier when all I wanted was the Main Street Loop)

almandot

Re:Track Organization Question

my audio's all sorted into folders by park category etc heh shrug... I can do the itunes search thing when i need to.. and if i wanted to I'd add appropriate tags to each file and then could just use my computer's search function to bring stuff up without having to deal with a real database.

using a real database system would seem excessive and unnecessary to me..disney had store all the specific audio tracks and loops and layers and tons of stuff for each version of each song etc... we're just storing mixed songs, sometimes rehearsal tracks, and rarely a few isolated ride files :p

Bill,

I wish there was an efficient way to catalog these items but I gave up on the Excel sheet I used because it was far easier to codify them by file name in windows explorer using Major Park - Park - Land - Attraction/Parade - Cue/BGM/Clip name (i.e., WDW - MK - Adventureland - Pirates of the Caribbean - Huck's Attic.mp3).

While I liked the idea of using Excel it became too difficult to update mostly because I'll hold on to three or four identical tracks just because they had different file names.

In other words, nope; no great system here. Good luck on the search, though.

wedroy1923

Playlist Author

Bill:

I've tried to combine both DL and MK tracks into larger folder labeled "Magic Kingdom" - and will usually mark distinctions between parks when merited.

I've tried to keep to the original lands - Main Street, Fantasyland, Frontierland, Adventureland, and Tomorrowland - put additions where they most fit, i.e. Liberty Square and New Orleans Square under Frontierland, Toontown under Fantasyland . . . blah, blah, blah . . . this is probably more interesting to me than anyone else.

I usually give an attraction's premier location priority. So "Pirates of the Caribbean" is found in the larger Frontierland folder rather than Adventureland folder.

I put Tropical Serenade and New Management tracks in the Enchanted Tiki Room folder, giving priority to the attraction's original name.

Just another take on it the whole thing, I suppose.

Best,
wedroy1923

X-S Tech

I've just done a simple Word document, no columns or rows or any of that fancy stuff. Here's a sample

Disneyland
Main St USA
Area Music
Goodbye My Coney Island Baby (x:xx) Disc 123
Sunday Clothes (x:xx) Disc 242
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
Overture (x:xx) Disc 78
Speech (x:xx) Disc 77

...and on and on. Basically I use indentations and font sizes to help make it readable. It's easy enough for me to find what I need. Probably hard if someone wasn't familiar with the parks. For shows with similar names but different content (Tiki Room, Tropical Serenade, etc..) I keep them in their seperate parks. I know where to find each version.

wedroy1923

Playlist Author

Sorry Fantasmic, just live recordings.

wedroy1923

X-S Tech

Time for my daughter? Heck she's practically my music cataloguing assistant. Get this: She's 3 right? We're driving in the car the other day and out of the blue she says, "Daddy, what's science?". So I do my best to put give her a general definition of science, not quite sure where this question is coming from.

Then she says, "Daddy, what's gyroscopes and magnetisms?".

True Story.

almandot

Me :p

I can't wait to hear her followup question when she asks you where babies from from ;)

X-S Tech

Have you ever explained a gyroscope to a three year old? The birds and the bees is a piece of cake. Besides, she's been to Wonders of Life, so that's all covered.

Amen, brother. Most recently, how to dilute a brand and most importantly, but far in the past, how to treat customers.

DanZilliox

Huck's Attic.mp3

Wow, (longtime lurker here) I hadn't thought of Huck's Attic in a long. long time. Huck was so kind to me (he emailed many tracks my way when I couldn't figure out how to download thm from his site) and was so generous with his amazing Disney Park collection to those who visited his site... whatever happened to him?

I apologize if this subject has been covered in the past. I have never dealt with anyone so willing to share or ANYONE who had such an amazing collection. I Miss Huck's Attic!

DanZilliox

For some reason, I think Huck moved to Australia. He might still pop on here from time to time...but I seem to remember him signing off before his move.

Oh, OK Bill... glad to hear that someone else remembers Huck. Ninety percent of the stuff he gave away for free I would have paid a bundle for... and I have yet toi see anywhere else. I guess we're the only people who remember the "good old days!" Thanks Bill.

Dan Z.

Mountain Mike

Oh, OK Bill... glad to hear that someone else remembers Huck.

I have quite a few tracks that have "Huck's Attic" as the album, in fact I have so many, that I thought it was an album published by Disney. So who IS Huck and what is Huck's Attic? I had some tracks that had "music by Skunkwerx" embedded in the MP3 metadata.

On topic: I have a folder in my Music called "Disneyland" with subfolders for each of the lands for ride soundtracks. CD's that I purchased at the park go in the Disneyland folder even if it's music all from the same land but I put a shortcut to the appropriate land, if applicable. I have "Disney Official Album" which has songs from Different lands so I put a shortcut to each track to the appropriate folder. For example, there's a track called "Fantasyland castle medley" so I put a shortcut to Fantasyland. But the path goes Disneyland --> The Official Album and they're all together there. If I have area music for a particular land, then it goes to that land.