The Singing Harp Has Returned to Happy Valley (Long)

Gurgitoy2

So...if the Wonderland system makes it's way to the rest of the Disney parks, how will that work out for the foreign ones? I mean will it be the same stuff availible on the US versions, or will they be able to select stuff only availible in that country? I know I'm jumping the gun here, but as an example...would a person be able to purchase any of the old Tokyo Disneyland CD's on a system at Tokyo Disneyland? Although those would still be hard for us to get, I suppose.

FRAN?OIS

Mr Randy Thornton, you're a "fraud"!

Your real name is Disney Santa Claus...I just did not know that Christmas was SO EARLY this year!

Thanks -- merci! -- from all of us, Disney music fans, for the great news AND your dedication and hard work!

I just hope that the series is a success this time!

Gurgitoy2

OK, another small question (related to the success).

Will Disney advertise the system this time? I mean not just in the store. The only way people found out about the first system was pretty much word of mouth.

X-S Tech

I was thinking the same thing Ben. Since TDL doesn't have too much of a backlog of old albums from which to draw (and less for DLP) perhaps Randy's comment applied to the "Sounds of Disneyland" CD's that should be coming. Perhaps we'll get an official "Phantom Manor" CD or a "Journey to the Center of the Earth" Album. Wow. That would really be cool.

X-S Tech

As for advertising, marketing ploys that Disney does, they don't seem to advertise their mechandise much. If it's something put out by Playskool or Hasbro then it gets a commercial but the Disney made products don't. There are exceptions of course like the DVD's and one could argue that everything Disney makes is a product. But I doubt there will be much advertising outside the resort. Hopefully something on the website and in the Guidebooks guests get when they enter the park. With the Forever system there were a lot of CM's who didn't know the system existed even after it had been operating consistently for years.
I just kept thinking that the Disneyana Shop next door should have had a stack of Tiki CD's to go with the left over Tiki Room Merch from the Shag event. Maybe since the systems just coming up today that'll still happen.

Thank you so much, Randy--I knew you'd get to the Mellomen, and apparently sooner than later(how could I have spelled their name with a "w"?!?! My apologies to Thurl and company!). It's one of my favorite Walt Disney albums, because to me, their sound was the foundation of the "Disney sound" throughout the 50's and 60's; I grew up listening to Thurl and friends unknowingly--it's been such a thrill for me to finally "discover" them years later!

I suppose the true purists would demand owning the original vinyl, along with the CD version; as much as I eventually found the pain-staking maintenance of records very annoying, there still is something about a holding and looking at a big 12 inch album cover(what if the Sgt. Pepper's cover was first released on a tiny CD booklet--it never would have had the same impact!). But the digital sound you're producing will in no way be able to be matched by the original vinyl; I've found that still sealed copies of records from the 60's still can have distracting noises. I'll probably just select some absolute favorites to collect the vinyl as well(especially those albums with booklets, like the Haunted Mansion album, with the great Collin Campbell artwork).

Thank you again for your dedicated thoroughness in preserving these treasures for us today, and for generations of Walt Disney music lovers to come.

Mike

Randy,

This is fantastic news! I have recently aquired "Disneylandforever.com" and would be happy to put any announcements, updates, etc, there (100% ad and pop-up free).

Chris Lang
Webmaster, The Disneyland Source
http://disneylandsource.com

PLEASE! Stop calling it Disneyland Forever! This is something completey separate. Even different computers and how they go about producing the CDs. Since it's still testing, it has no official name, but I think the working title is "Wonderland" based on The Wonderland Music Store that opened on Main Street together with the park in 55.
Just when we thought Disney music was dying a slow and painful death... This is the biggest re-issue program EVER for Disney and we have to support it. Thanks to everyone who made it possible!
Counting the days 'til I get to the park...
Louis ;)

Randy - - Thanks so much for this! I know it would never have happened without your dedication. That Mary Martin LP is incredible.

Please tell me these LP's are to be included soon:

Camarata/Darlene Alice in Wonderland (my favorite)

Instrumental Saludos Amigos

Soundtrack The Parent Trap! (stereo)

Soundtrack Babes in Toyland (stereo)

Music From Three Hayley Mills Movies

Soundtrack Summer Magic (stereo)

Soundtrack Mary Poppins (original LP version stereo)

Soundtrack Sleeping Beauty (original LP version stereo)

The Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House

Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color

Annette: Pajama Party (stereo)

Annette: Something Borrowed, Something Blue (stereo)

Annette at Bikini Beach (stereo)

Annette

Annette Sings Anka

HawaiiAnnette

DanceAnnette

ItaliAnnette

Annette's Beach Party (stereo)

Annette: Muscle Beach Party (stereo)

Annette Sings Golden Surfin' Hits (stereo)

Annette and Hayley

Let's Get Together With Hayley Mills

Ludwig Von Drake

Camarata Plays Music from Cinderella and Bambi

Camarata Interprets Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (stereo)

Camarata: 33 Walt Disney Motion Picture Melodies (stereo)

Soundtrack: The One and Only Genuine, Original Family Band

Soundtrack: The Moon-Spinners

Soundtrack: That Darn Cat! (stereo)

Darlene of the Teens

PLEASE! Stop calling it Disneyland Forever! This is something completey separate. Even different computers and how they go about producing the CDs. Since it's still testing, it has no official name, but I think the working title is "Wonderland" based on The Wonderland Music Store that opened on Main Street together with the park in 55.
Just when we thought Disney music was dying a slow and painful death... This is the biggest re-issue program EVER for Disney and we have to support it. Thanks to everyone who made it possible!
Counting the days 'til I get to the park...
Louis ;)

Louis, I'm aware this is NOT Disneyland Forever but until we have an official name to associate with it, I was merely offering the URL to post any updates on the project.

- Chris

s8ntmark

Whats the difference between the Vinyl Masters and the Forever tracks?

Randy, You bring up an intersting point. You had mentioned that the Tiki Room was in mono, and that it had to be rebuilt. But the WDW Forever system had a stereo version of the show, which got me thinking. What is the difference between the Forever Track and the Vinyl's master track? Was the Vinyl master a copy of the original show or was the audio taken right from the source and mixed? And what was the Forever track taken from?

And when you say you "Remixed and Reassembled" CBJ, do you mean you took the elements apart, remastered them, and reassembled them or just remastered the vinyl master?

Sorry for the weird questions, but Audio (and Film) restoration are one of my favorite things ever :)

narkspud

Re:Whats the difference between the Vinyl Masters and the Forever tracks?

>>Was the Vinyl master a copy of the original show or was the audio taken right from the source and mixed? And what was the Forever track taken from?

s8ntmark

Hey, does anyone know about the Golden Horseshoe review album?

Is it a cast album? or somthing else?

And are all the principles on it, Fulton Burly, Wally Boag etc?

Thanks for the Help!

I have the original Golden Horseshoe LP. It's the original cast (Taylor, Boag, Furley) with some guests like the MellowMen doing cuts from the show live. Some different songs than the more recent version of the show we knew when it ended, but includes Golden Horseshoe and Pecos Bill at least (no Lookin' For a Big City Beau or On the Cover of the Police Gazette or Can-Can).

narkspud

Just purchased my first two--"Walt's Musical Tour of DL" and "Golden Horseshoe Review."

I feel kind of bad for the cast members who have to man the gizmo. It's a bit time-consuming, since they have to pretty much assemble the CD package from scratch, including punching out the inserts from the sheet of thick glossy paper they're printed on. Mine were assembled by a nice lady named Rose who said she had never done one before, and who was unfamiliar enough with the CD format that she had trouble just getting the jewel case open, let alone properly assembled. But she did it, with help from a manager-looking guy who had arrived the same time I did. Guess they saw me comin'. I'm sure she'll get the hang of it in a day or two.

Since it's up to the cast member to actually fire up the burning process, it's important that you let them know that you've requested one of these babies, and which one(s). I kind of got the impression that going through the kiosks isn't even necessary--you can just ask the cast member for the titles you want--but I don't know that for sure and I didn't ask.

I am DELIGHTED with my CDs. They're just what I'd expect--a careful transfer straight from the master tapes, with minimal-to-no tampering. Original mono, original tape hiss (they didn't have noise reduction in the 50s), original cover art printed on glossy paper, and the old Disneyland label art--in the proper color!--on the disc itself. Original catalog numbers too, with one teeny exception, which I'll get to in a sec.

While I don't have the vinyl versions of these two, I can almost guarantee you that these sound better, based on some of the LPs from the same period that I do have. If I'd remastered them myself, this is EXACTLY how I would've done it.

My only quibbles--a few more track markers on Golden Horseshoe would've been nice rather than the two tracks (sides one and two) that it's divided up into now. And the catalog number printed on Golden Horseshoe's spine is a misprint--it's for the "Mr. Lincoln" album. Pretty minor quibbles on an album I've been looking for for years!

The blanks they're using, BTW, are Mitsui Silver--in other words, the same ones recording studios use for reference copies and other very important things. They should last a good long time.

BLM07

I'm hoping if it comes to WDW, we get some old EPCOT albums, like a remastered Horizons, Spaceship Earth, and maybe some other older MK rides, hey I can dream can't I? I'm talkin every full loop from the ride, and all the narrations, I swear I would be in heaven! Of course, no rush, but maybe sometime in the future.