1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

The Phoney King of England

Discussion in 'Archive' started by narkspud, Jul 1, 2004.

1. narkspud

narkspud Member

OK, so I'm listening to this old LP I found, circa 1960 by my calculation, by a folksinger named Oscar Brand. The album's called "Bawdy Songs and Backroom Ballads Vol. 3," and it collects, well, just what it says--Old folksongs of an adult nature. And the last cut on the album is called "The Bastard King of England."

Well, seems to me I've heard this song before--in Disney's Robin Hood. The lyrics are rather different, but the melody stops just short of being identical. I feel quite confident in saying that the one was based on the other. And such a naughty song, too!

Just thought I'd share. I'd quote some lyrics, but the admins would lynch me.

2. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

The Disney version (though not the film version) appears on the Louis Prima Robin Hood album on the Wonderland Music system. I don't care for any of the otehr songs but that one is so cool I just may have to get it.