1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

The Land Music - - Last Chance?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by GrizzlyHall, Jun 23, 2004.

1. GrizzlyHall

GrizzlyHall Member

Hey, folks. As some of you may know, the Land will be undergoing renovation from January to Spring Break 2005 in order to accommodate Soarin'.

The entrance area will be around the old (now gone) Green Thumb Emporium with a gift shop where Food Rocks once stood. Escalators and ramps will allow more flow down to the bottom area.

However, what may be lost is the Land's serenity. Apparently, a giant theme redo is in the works, as well as a "modernization" and possible removal of much of the Sunshine Season Food Fair. What may be lost, then, is the serenity.

And with that, we may have new music loops. I wish I could get my hands on the interior Land loop, as well as the Living with the Land queue. They may only have a few more months left!

If anyone has any details about the rehab, or if you have these loops, please let me know. Thanks!

2. MiklCraw4d

MiklCraw4d Member

Dang... I'm going to miss the peacefulness of The Land. Just coming in and getting a muffin for breakfast or some BBQ for lunch... listening to the cool music and the water in the background... and that wonderful Disney Water Smell (tm).

I hope they don't goof it up too much. I always wonder about the lasting power of thrillish rides (witness the decaying hulk of Wonders of Life).

I would be interested in hearing more about what is planned in the change...

MC

3. micca

micca Member

I have always missed "Listen to the Land". Maybe there will be something left when Soarin' arrives? The SOC music is very good.

4. sds910

sds910 Member

Grizz:

The loops are safe :) Contact me next time you see me on AIM...

Steve :)

5. GrizzlyHall

GrizzlyHall Member

Thanks so much, Steve!

And your post, MiklCraw4d, was also touching. It will be *very* sad if the atmosphere is ruined.

6. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

The music for Soarin' is very good but very different. As corny and out of date The Land interior atmosphere is, it is largely original. It probably does need an update if Disney doesn't want the younger generations to scoff too much, but of course it's sad to lose it.

Personally the atrium always reminded me of some sort of 1980's day care center. The bright colors and playtime imagery...That's just me.

7. Jessica L

Jessica L Member

;D I LOVE that smell!! You can't tell me I'm the only one who rides Splash Mountain just to have that smell on my clothes all day?

Or am I? ???
    ;)

~Jessica

8. MiklCraw4d

MiklCraw4d Member

Heck, I ride Small World just to smell that smell :)

michael

9. SharonKurland

SharonKurland Active Member

Hehehehe....oh geez, we had this conversation on Prodigy circa 1992, no lie!

The BEST Disney smell in the WORLD no longer exists.

The sand on the beach of the Polynesian Resort Hotel. Our first trip was 1979 and that's where we stayed (for $69/night for the Pool View rooms!). The sand there smelled SO good. I can't explain it. I brought some home in a bag and it smelled for months but eventually wore out. When we went back in 1982 (still paid $69/night but this time it was for a Garden View room), it didnt smell anymore.

But to this very day, the Poly. is my favorite hotel (even though we don't stay at Disney very much anymore because we live 10 miles away) and part of the reason is the memory of those good smells.

-Sharon-

10. MiklCraw4d

MiklCraw4d Member

Whew... the Prodigy Disney board... now you're talking about flashbacks...

Anyway, the thought of the days where a room at the Poly was $69 makes my head spin. That's why I've never given Eisner credit for being such a genius; when you quintuple the price of something it's not hard to make a bigger profit :)

And yes, the smells do play a part. Every now and then I'll be walking somewhere with friends and pass through a cloud of a 'disney smell' of some sort. Of course I'll stop and have a nostalgia attack and they'll think I'm nuts.

It's worst when it's something really evocative like the water or the smell of wall carpet or something. It can be aggravating when I recognize a smell but can't figure out what it is... usually I'll figure out it's Horizons or World Showcase promenade or something :)

What was really sad was when I realized that the only reason I enjoyed riding Test Track was that the inside of the building still smelled like the World of Motion hehe...

Michael

11. SharonKurland

SharonKurland Active Member

Michael, were you on the Prodigy Disney boards? There were 2 boards, as I recall...one had to do more with collectibles, the other with the parks, mainly WDW. I was on both boards but was MUCH more active on the "parks" one.

I loved "Countdown to Extinction" when it first opened...not just because it was faster and a LOT more fun because it whipped you around like crazy...but because the fog smelled like cookies.

Fortunately, MIB, at USF, still has the cookie smell .

-Sharon-

12. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

Thank you!!! I thought I was the only one who couldn't get enough of the smoke/fog smell in Temple of the Forbidden eye. I assume it's the same in Countdown (since Virtually everything else is). There's nothing like the smell of Disney Fountain Water, and New Orleans Square at about 5pm. Is there any way to get smells onto a CD?

13. Jessica L

Jessica L Member

I thought of another smell at Disney I love.

The "burning Rome" scene in Spaceship Earth. I don't know why - it's just a great smell to me. Whenever someone's barbequeing - it almost matches but never exactly.

I think Disney should market some "Smells of the Parks/Resorts" scratch and sniff stickers.

~Jessica

14. dtats

dtats Member

Yes, these are some of the more enjoyable smells we all remember; but what about that smell you experience on a nice "warm" July day while waiting in queue under the Endor forest for Star Tours, or in line for Peter Pan's flight, or scrunched together in those samll rooms for the Test Track preshow? :-X

Although not as enjoyable as the scent of l'oranges, they can be memorable in their own right! ;)

15. GrizzlyHall

GrizzlyHall Member

Maybe I'll like Soarin' since they have the orange smellitzer from Horizons.

But the best has to be Morning Mist, the old Imagination smell.

PS. Putting in a second request for LIVING WITH THE LAND queue loop. Looks like this one hasn't been saved yet. :eek:

16. xfkirsten

xfkirsten Member

What about the waiting-in-line-for-Pirates at Disneyland smell? ;)

Any takers? :D

-Kirsten

17. ex-wdi

ex-wdi Member

Ewwwwwwwwww.

18. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

Can you describe that one Kirsten? I don't think I've noticed. I know when you finally enter the building and are standing next to the flume with the parrot on the other side, you get a good strong whiff of that Disney water. Is that what you are refering to?

19. DL FLIGHT 295

DL FLIGHT 295 Member

Wow.....I have to really agree with JESSICA L........."Burning Rome" lol.......really really sticking in my memory......I can remember noticing that from my first Space Ship earth ride in 1983.........very similar to the "Alpo-volcano" from the first version of Universe of Energy.........

also the tunnel-soot smells from the Disneyland Railroad!!

DL FLIGHT 295
    aka
    DC-88 SPACELINER

20. xfkirsten

xfkirsten Member

No, I talking about the outdoor queue. It smells... well... less-than-stellar. :p An Indy CM told me once that that's because thee sewage tends to back up under the sidewalk there. :p

-Kirsten