1. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

The Haunted Mansion CD / LE Box Set [2009]

Discussion in 'Disney Parks and Resorts' started by Randy Thornton, Aug 22, 2009.

1. WDWGuy08

WDWGuy08 Member

YEY!!!! UPS is delivering my black box set, tomorrow! a friend of a friend got it for me, hehe! can't wait to get it!

2. Magic Music

Magic Music Administrator Playlist Author

As Disneyland's "current... incarnation" is missing all of the awesome new SFX (chamber door grinding to a close, swirling ghost host, creaking/groaning walls, scattering bats, massive crash, creepy gargoyle whispers, etc.) that was added to the stretching room during the MK Mansion's refurb, your "WDW version" is going to suck big time. :itunes:

The MK needs its own Haunted Mansion CD. Cover art aside, I dare say that your average WDW guest is going to be more than a little confused/disappointed when they get this CD home and discover that the stretching room segment is nothing like what they experienced in the park.

And, oh, while on the subject of producing another creepy ride-through soundtrack...

A Tower of Terror CD is long, long overdue! :cd:

As for this new Disneyland Haunted Mansion CD...

Forget about the ride-through... I'd gladly pay twice the price just to get the Ghostly Music Box and the Phantom Manor Suite.

How awesome it would be to see and hear the Phantom Manor Suite performed live on stage by a symphony orchestra! It is simply incredible! :amazon:

3. Horizons

Horizons Playlist Author

And please include the full exterior music loop and the boiler room SFX loop! :amazon:

4. Magic Music

Magic Music Administrator Playlist Author

Abso-friggin-lutely! A 2-disc set by the time you've put it all together.

5. Gurgitoy2

Gurgitoy2 Active Member

Yeah, I'm going to say that the high-quality Phantom Manor music box and orchestral tracks are worth the price alone. I'm happy to finally have the music box track sounding so nice!

6. almandot

almandot Member

DCA boiler room with effects from both levels please :amazon:

7. ispace

ispace Member

This box set is still available for purchase from Disneyland at the store beside PotC in New Orleans Square. I bought my copy when I was there last week. It's behind the counter on the wall & there's no indication of what it is (it looks like a poster/painting of some sort), so many people will miss it. This was the only place in the whole of the Disneyland Resort where I saw copies of this release.

I'm curious as to why there are still copies left with only 999 produced, when the 30th anniversary 13-track CD in 1999 was sold out immediately and I had to pay a huge sum to buy my copy on eBay. Any thoughts?

Regards,
    Brett.

8. BookPodder

BookPodder I'm a Noob!

I think the difference in the sales of the two is due to the contents and pricing of them.

Though I'm not sure of the original pricing of the 30th anniversary CD, I doubt that even Disney attempted to sell it back then for $100. In addition to a likelier lower price, It did contain exclusive audio content (at the time, this was the first time the Mansion audio had been released on CD). It also had the "collectible" factor of being signed (on an insert) by Buddy Baker and X Atencio.

The new set, on the other hand, is $100 and, while beautifully produced, it has no audio content which can't be bought legitimately elsewhere for about $30 total. With the box, you're paying a $70 premium for a couple of pieces of art and a vinyl reproduction of one of the included CDs which - I'm willing to bet - most purchasers have no intent of ever actually playing. Don't get me wrong - I bought the box immediately and think it is gorgeous. However, I admit that I'm a bit of an object fetishist, so that's why I snapped it up. If I was just looking for the audio content, I would have bought just the individual CDs and not the box.

If it was Disney's primary intent to sell all of these boxes at a premium, they should have held back a month or two on the release of the individual CDs, then the box would have been seen as more of an 'exclusive' and it would have sold more quickly (it either would have sold out at the merchandise event where it was released, or at the D23 Expo immediately following it). As I understand it, though, the CDs were the planned releases and the special box was a relatively late in the game decision as a merchandise piece for the event. It also didn't help that - apparently - the people coordinating the Haunted Mansion merchandise event didn't seem very aware of the item - it wasn't listed in any of the advance promotion for the event as something that would be available, so attendees didn't know that it would be one of the offerings until the night of the event.

So, while it's a beautiful box, it just doesn't have that "need to have it" factor that the original CD release had.

9. Miss Tilly

Miss Tilly I'm a Noob!

The Box Set is still easy to find at the resort. I was able to spot copies at World of Disney, Off The Page, The Disney Gallery, and Pieces Of Eight. As for the Story and Song from the Haunted Mansion too. The stand alone Mansion CD is nowhere to be found.

10. Marko

Marko Member

I ended up buying the Haunted Mansion cd for Christmas and I must say, it was well worth the price. The Phantom Manor suite, the music box track, and the graveyard medley were stand out. I also enjoyed the booklet that came along with the cd.

11. Grinning Ghost

Grinning Ghost Member

Is the Story and Song Lp in this set a direct, unadulterated transfer from the original master? Or is it the same version as heard on the new CD release? I've been thinking of purchasing the set, but if it's the version from the new CD, I'll pass. I was disappointed with the sound quality, and the fact that several stereo elements that have now been changed to mono.