1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

The Baguette Quartette and Monsters, Inc.

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Michael Zielski, May 27, 2003.

1. Michael Zielski

Michael Zielski Member

Just thought I'd share this discovery with everyone; this is some of the reason I love Disney music--it can lead you to some interesting places......

My wife has been listening to a variety of French music lately. She picked up "Rendezvous a Paris," a "Hear Music" CD sampler, at Starbucks recently, and particularly liked a selection of accordion-based music by a group of musicians called the Baguette Quartette. With a little Internet searching, she found their website; they're a group of San Francisco-based musicians that play music that was heard in Paris between 1920 and 1940 on street corners, in cafes, and in popular dance halls--and their music was in Monsters, Inc., in the scene where Mike and Sully open a "door" that leads them through Paris. My wife clearly remembered the scene, and actually had been looking for similar Parisienne music! The Baguette Quartette has three CD's available(already ordered through Amazon); my wife even e-mailed them, asking if the selection heard in Monsters, Inc. was on any of the CD's--the response, from Rick Trevor, their bass player:

"I'm amazed you even noticed the music in that Monsters, Inc. scene. I remember recording a couple of minutes of music, only to hear it edited down to what seemed like a couple of seconds, and put way into the background. That is the way it works in the movie business.

The name of the tune(it is really just a "cue"--not a fully composed piece) is "It's the Cheese." It was written(I think) by the fellow who was arranging the music for the film(described to us as "Randy Newman's right-hand guy"). Much to my embarassment, I can't remember his name. I think he based the composition on a Gus Viseur tune(Swing Valse) that is on our Rendez-vous CD. I remember thinking he did a nice job on it. We have not recorded it. Perhaps we should, but maybe we should retitle it "C'est le fromage"? "

Anyway, I thought some of you might be interested in this information--great attention to detail by John Lasseter and friends!

The CD's should be arriving tomorrow...... their website is: http://207.150.192.12/temp/thebague/index.html

Enjoy!
    Mike