1. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Spaceship Earth

Discussion in 'Disney Parks and Resorts' started by Fantasmic, Jun 10, 2007.

1. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

2. Horizons

Horizons Playlist Author

I was lucky enough to ride it twice this morning.

- Score is fantastic! I wasn't too pleased with Broughton's score for O'Canada (except for the load music), but I think he hit it out of the park with this one (sorry Bill). My only complaint is that it wasn't being played loud enough.

- Entrance BGM is very short, maybe 3 - 4 minutes, but looped.

- First half of the attraction is amazing. Lot of updates and new scenes.

- I'll let everyone else decide on the 2nd half.

- Narration was ok in my opinion. I prefer Jeremy Irons.

3. diegorivera2

diegorivera2 Member

Good news, Horizons,

I was excited by the news from MouseFest that a sneak-peek (can't even call it a soft-opening) had been made available. Did you notice if the music spilled over to the Siemens exhibit? When I was there in Nov. there was nothing at all in the exhibit area.

4. Horizons

Horizons Playlist Author

The same music in the post-show was playing today that has been playing since the post-show opened.

The exterior BGM plays all around SSE, except the back of the building, as well as throughout the exterior queue (approximately 2:10 long).

5. Magic Music

Magic Music Administrator Playlist Author

I rode Spaceship Earth twice last night. The new score is forgettable at best. And, as far as the new ending goes, I wish I could forget it! What a nightmare! All of the improvements on the way up are completely negated by the trip down!

The new script is awful! A joke about taxes... Rome as the first world wide web... Arabic scholars as the first back up system... Ugh!

Be sure to keep your eyes fixed on the pointless cartoon on your LCD monitor for the four minute descent if you don't want to see the ugly remnants of the previous fiber optic effects that are still there but no longer working.

They need to have a Bean Bunny figure at the bottom of the ride saying, "Heh! What a lame ending!"

The message boards are filling up with complaints...

6. Magic Music

Bill, I'd love to tell you... but I forgot everything about it the second I was out of there! :p

Believe me, it's forgettable. Lest you think I'm the only one who thinks so, check the various Disney message boards, and those who bother to mention anything about the music are saying the same thing as me, that it's "forgettable." :(

Whatever Horizons was smoking before he got onto Spaceship Earth... that prompted him to say the new score is "fantastic"... all I can say is that it must have been some high quality stuff! ;)

Some quotes from WDWMagic:

7. Horizons

Horizons Playlist Author

Not smoking anything. I just know good music when I hear it. The fact that you have a contrary opinion does not make my opinion incorrect (or vice versa). Obviously, it's a subjective matter. I doubt that I am the sole person who likes it just as much as the previous version.

8. Magic Music

Very true. Baskin-Robbins doesn't sell 31 flavors of ice cream for nothing. And I understand record stores actually do sell CDs containing hip hop and rap music.

Note the ;) after my comment about your smoking something before you went on the ride.

9. s8ntmark

s8ntmark Member

I just watched it on Youtube and I agree, Judi Dench's voice sounds very shrill....if only i could have understood anything she said ;)

I actually kind of liked the music, its just that there weren't any strong themes.

10. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member

Its amusing how people's intial reactions to a new score will often be negative, and then as the years go on, they will become attached to it. Mark my words, when Spaceship Earth is overhauled again in 2013, these same complainers will bemoan the replacement of Broughton's score with something different.

From what I've heard of the new soundtrack, it sounds terrific. Wouldn't it be nice of Mr. Thornton provided us with a nice long track on the new official album, something akin to the infinitely less deserving "Lights, Motor, Action" cue on the last OA. I am cautiously optimistic that we'll get some of Broughton's score, given Disney's presumed desire to suck up to the attraction's new sponsors, and the lack of a drippy song that would otherwise be showcased on the album. Time will tell....

11. Horizons

Horizons Playlist Author

I was wondering when you would be getting into the debate!

12. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member

Cue Bill with some smart-alecky response to my comment.....

13. Horizons

Horizons Playlist Author

Wow - right on cue. Good timing Bill.

I rode it again a few times this evening and I think the score just keeps getting better (imo of course).

14. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

I got to ride it once a few nights ago. Musically, I didn't notice anything memorable except for the exterior score. I remember thinking that it seemed to incorporate the general theme of the 2006 Epcot Main Entrance loop, but I could be totally wrong about this. I liked the overall tone of exterior music but would really have to sit and listen to it to judge it well.

As for the ride itself----SPOILERS AHEAD-----------------------------

It's tragic what they've done to the last half. They seem to really have taken loving care to improve or at least preserve the quality of the ride up to the top, but as son as you head down, all you have are the screens in front of you. The rest is just boring starfield, meant to be boring so you can pay attention to your screens. The video that you see is the sort of thing that has been done elsewhere in the resort at free kiosks where you send an animated postcard of your face on an animated body- this is supposed to be the big finale?! Is it a thrill for anyone that a computer can take answers that we gave and incorporate them in to a short cartoon, superimposing our faces onto the characters? This would have been perfect for the postshow, but it seems beyond rediculous as part of the attraction. What's mindboggling is that just when I think that WDI has "got it" again, putting together an otherwise nice refurb, they pull something like this, where the appeal of a buzz word like "interactive" obviously blinded a lot of people to the oft forgotten mantra- "quality".

15. Horizons

Horizons Playlist Author

X-S - Do you think the score was not memorable because it was difficult to hear? I noticed on the first day I was able to ride it, the music seemed to be playing rather low. Last night, it seemed to be louder and really, to me, made a big difference.

16. Steve LeVine

Steve LeVine Member

I am all about memorable songs.  The odds of me listening to a score in my car are about zero.

17. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

Yeah Horizons it could easily be that I just couldn't hear enough of the score. It was audible enough at the top with the earth projection, but what with trying to videotape, sitting next to my daughter and all of her questions, and just still trying to absorb that I was actually on SSE again, one ride just wasn't enough to adequately judge the music. I'll have to see if I can tell from my video.

SSE-Sign.jpg

18. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member

I am all about memorable score.  The odds of me listening to a song in my car are about zero.

19. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

Maybe you do it all the time and just don't remember.

20. Zarpman

Zarpman Member

Was at WDW last week and got a chance to try out the new SSE. Without giving away any spoilers, I can echo the voices of many of you who have experienced it. The beginning of the ride is such a thrill to see, especially in the eyes of a Disney "fanboy", but the second half of the attraction pales in comparison to its predecessor. Perhaps if we could have kept the second half of the ride, replaced the first half with what we have now, then we'd have something special.

The music wasn't very loud during my ride-through, but I suspected they were still adjusting audio levels, lighting, etc. What I heard was very nice, although without the same "power" of the previous pieces. Then again, if they are to match the tone of the second half, I'd say they were too powerful. I don't generally expecting a rousing orchestra when watching an animation that is better suited for the side bar of a website than a signature theme park attraction.

Tomorrow's child is apparently a vector-based animated graphic that has less optimism than Disney did in 1966. Now THAT'S progress. Blah.