1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Song of the South

Discussion in 'Archive' started by gamora, Aug 31, 2005.

1. gamora

gamora Member

Hey Everyone,

Just yesterday I saw Song of the South for the first time ever and I have to say it is easily one of the best Disney movies I have ever seen. The music alone is incredible. In fact I never realized how many songs that play at Critter Country actually originated from this movie. In particular, "let the rain pour down", "carriage ride" and others. If you get a chance you should all check out songofthesouth.net to learn more about the songs, the lyrics, and sign an on-line petition to get song of the south to come out on DVD.

-Monorail 1

2. mmmfan

mmmfan Member

3. merlinjones

merlinjones Member

4. DisneylandKid

DisneylandKid Member

Wow... I am so excited about this ;D Song of the South has been one of my favorite Disney movies since I was little. It'd be great if they add the Splash Mountain as a bonus feature on the DVD ;) Am I asking too much here? ;D -Matt

5. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

But how would they fit the mountian into that little DVD package?

6. DisneylandKid

DisneylandKid Member

Mmm.... a special 2-DVD edition :)

7. mmmfan

mmmfan Member

Sorry to bring bad news.Just saw this news from the shareholders meeting:

Iger States Disney Does Not Have Plans to Release Song of the South
    During the question and answer session, Iger was asked regarding the future of Song of the South. He stated he had recently screened the film. And was concerned by some of the depictions and how they would be received. He stated that they have made the decision not to release the film.
    Posted: Mar 3/10/2006 12:20p ? l :(

8. DisneylandKid

DisneylandKid Member

Why can't they release the edited movie with the complete version in the special features section? ??? And... can they release the soundtrack on CD? -Matt

9. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

What would the edited version consist of? I don't think Iger is reffering to a particular scene that can just be snipped and nobody would notice. While I disagree with this assesment, I think he's talking of the general tone of the film, which depicts several African Americans working happily on a plantation. Mind you they are Free African Americans. But the current mindset seems to be that making a film where the Black folks aren't complaining about past slavery is to ignore that it ever happened. Guess Igers not as forward thinking as I thought.

Why don't they just get Leonard Maltin to apologize that the white man was ever born.

Hey look! I have 999 ghosts- er posts!

10. musicradio77

musicradio77 Member

I've never seen the film in its entirety, but I remember the excerpt from the "Disneyland" episode "The Disneyland Story". I have the soundtrack on CD that I have downloaded from BasicHip since January.