Sleeping Beauty on Little Golden Records

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
I'm not getting any response when clicking on the "play" buttons.
May be my version of Flash player (I need to use an earlier version due to some problems with a particular program) but I normally get a warning box up.
Before altering anything, anyone else have a problem playing?

Joseph

No problems. It works fine for me.
BTW, the timing for all these "Sleeping Beauty" recordings is very appropriate. They are releasing a new DVD of the film later this year to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the film in 2009 and will be reopening the new Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough later this year as well. They are also showing the restored film this month at the El Capitan theater in Hollywood in 70mm. Last week I attended the opening night showing. It looked (and sounded) amazing. Six track stereophonic surround sound! This film should be seen on a large, wide screen as it was intended to be. There was a nice panel discussion before the film, with Mary Costa(the voice of Sleeping Beauty), Bob Thomas, Frank Armitage, Blaine Gibson, Tony Baxter and Don Hahn in attendance.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Yes, it does require the latest Flash player to work (good old Firefox with Flashswitcher) otherwise nothing happens.
It won't work on version 8 or earlier.

Now the search is on for the two missing discs :)

According to Golden Age of Walt Disney Records this appears to be a complete set. Don't be fooled by the numbering system. It made as much sense as DLRs did :D

No problems. It works fine for me.
BTW, the timing for all these "Sleeping Beauty" recordings is very appropriate. They are releasing a new DVD of the film later this year to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the film in 2009 and will be reopening the new Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough later this year as well. They are also showing the restored film this month at the El Capitan theater in Hollywood in 70mm. Last week I attended the opening night showing. It looked (and sounded) amazing. Six track stereophonic surround sound! This film should be seen on a large, wide screen as it was intended to be. There was a nice panel discussion before the film, with Mary Costa(the voice of Sleeping Beauty), Bob Thomas, Frank Armitage, Blaine Gibson, Tony Baxter and Don Hahn in attendance.

You can read about the panel discussion here: http://www.mouseclubhouse.com/photo-storie...eauty-panel.htm

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author

According to Golden Age of Walt Disney Records this appears to be a complete set. Don't be fooled by the numbering system. It made as much sense as DLRs did :D

Maybe they felt that all the nasty bits regarding SB were not suitable for the age-range it was made for.
It seemed odd to jump from meeting the Prince, the 16th Birthday and marriage preparation right to being woken up at the end (half the film and story condensed into "she pricked her finger on a spinning wheel and everyone fell asleep") :eek:.
Obviously they only wanted the nice bits on the records (although I suspect they were going to do the full thing and changed their minds and did a wrap on the last one - maybe it didn't sell as well as they hoped). I've seen that done with many films where everything gets sorted in the last two minutes!
I wonder how many kids asked why it was called sleeping beauty in the first place. ;D

Joseph

I think you might be reading a little too much into the selection process of these records. These Little Golden Record titles are basically the songs that were in the film: "Hail to Princess Aurora", "I Wonder", "Once Upon a Dream", "Skumps(the Drinking Song)", "Sleeping Beauty", and "Sing a Smiling Song" (this was the Three Fairies' theme in the film, with the music only, without the lyrics). They added Darlene's narration to the songs to give them context and there you have it. I'm sure they didn't intend these to be a complete telling of the film's story. The Mary Martin Storyteller on the Disneyland label served that purpose.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
That makes sense as each record has a narration on one side and the music on the other.
Maleficent wasn't really a song and dance girl, was she? ::)