1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Rock Candy Mountain Question

Discussion in 'Archive' started by CPNHOOK15, Mar 8, 2005.

1. CPNHOOK15

CPNHOOK15 Member

???

Rock Candy Mountain

Has this song ever had lyrics? Or is there a song out there that sounds eerily similar to this song?

I can't quite place it, but this song sounds very familiar to one I have heard recently that had a male singer.

Help anyone?

thanks in advance.

Tim C

2. Burnsland

Burnsland Member

Yes, there are lyrics to Rock Candy Mountain. From a quick search, this site was the first one to come up with lyrics to the song.

Among other things, it was on the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, so maybe that is where you heard it.

3. Gurgitoy2

Gurgitoy2 Active Member

Actually, if you think you heard it recently, it's probably because Burger King is now using it in one of their commercials for some BBQ chicken sandwich. The lyrics are very different, and somwhat sexual (although the original was singing about drunkeness, so....exchange one thing for another, I guess).

4. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

Ha! Thanks Ben, I knew I just heard this song somewhere recently but I just couldn't remember where. When this post first came up I thought that that was an extremely eerie coincidence but that commercial explains it all. I had totally forgotten.

5. CPNHOOK15

CPNHOOK15 Member

;D

Burger King!

That's it. Thanks a bunch Ben.

Tim C

6. LemSiddons

LemSiddons New Member

I think Big Rock Candy Mountain is a hobo song. If you listen to the lyrics, it lists many of the obstacles a hobo would have encountered during the depression...alcohol being one of them.

7. Gurgitoy2

Gurgitoy2 Active Member

I think you're right. It was singing about what a paradise would be like...it just happened to include a lot of alcohol!

8. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

Yeah I always wondered about this too. Alcohol, Boxcars, Hardboiled eggs. Sounds like a hobo's life for me. Or possibly some sort of Tramp.

9. DL FLIGHT 295

DL FLIGHT 295 Member

I think that song goes back farther then the depression.....it appears on a album that was sold at the California State RR Museum in the mid 80's called
    "Rail Songs" ........and it is featured in the Era 1 section 1830's-1870's. It also plays in the hotel lobby by a small and efficent orchestra in "The Apple Duppling Gang"
    ..........and ofcouse The Big Thunder Saloon" and the "Big thunder Dance Hall"

DL Flight 295