Port Orleans Riverside Ol' Man Island Area Music

Horizons

Playlist Author
[Split from [topic=3749]Wilderness Lodge Area Music[/topic] —Admin]

It looks like I miscounted. I know the loop is longer than 4 hours and 53 minutes.
Unless something wacky is going on, and after my recording session last night, I don't doubt something could be going on, but the Pioneer Hall loop runs a few minutes past 6 hours. :eek: I went to Pioneer Hall this morning to try and finish my reference recording, but the loop was playing music (The Devil Went Down to Berkley) that wasn't in my previous 3 hour and 20 minute recording. I didn't feel like hanging around for 4+ hours for the loop to cycle through to where my recording left off, so I went home.

After taking my wife out to lunch, I decided to go back and try again. When I got to Pioneer Hall, six hours after my trip in the morning, the first full song I tagged was, can you believe it, The Devil Went Down to Berkely! :lol: Since I know the loop runs more than 3 hours and 20 minutes, this leads me to assume the full loop is six hours. Why there needs to be a six hour loop playing around Pioneer Hall escapes me. I don't think anyone, other than myself, is hanging out around Pioneer Hall for an extended period of time.

Regarding my (mis)adventure last night, I went to Port Orleans - Riverside in the morning to see what type of recordings I could do. I didn't see a way to get a good recording of the main entrance/lobby music, as the guests/transportation were really loud and the music was playing rather softly. So I headed over to Ol' Man Island to see what was playing at the pool. I settled in and was prepared to record for three to four hours, as the pool loops around property vary in time greatly, when, to my surprise, the loop repeated after 59 minutes.

I went home and started to see if there was anything Shazam could ID. I was able to ID two songs from a quick visit back in February but, for some reason, these songs were not included in my recording. So I just assumed the loop was recently changed. Why should I think different since I was sure the loop repeated after 59 minutes (the first three songs repeated in the same order)?

After dinner last night, I decided to go back and check out other areas of the resort. For some reason, I decided to walk over to Ol' Man Island again. I immediately noticed the music playing wasn't in the loop I had just recorded in the morning. Rather, the music was the same music that I tagged back in February. Okay, I start to think maybe they use two different loops. I set up shop and was ready to go. Three songs later, however, I hear the first song in the loop I recorded in the morning. Now I don't know what's going on. So I decide to sit there for 59 minutes and let the loop cycle through, as I was confident after the "morning" loop was done, the "evening" loop would start playing again. I mean, I just heard three songs from it.

So after waiting patiently for 59 minutes, what happens? The "morning" loop starts playing again! :wacko: :angry: So now what? Do I wait another 59 minutes and hope this mysterious other loop starts to play, or do I give up and go home? I decide to stay and, after another 59 minutes, the other loop starts to play. Weird!

So if you are hanging around Ol' Man Island, although the total loop runs 1:53:54, you get 59 minutes of the first loop, a 59 minute repeat of the loop you just listened to, and then 55 minutes of music from Lionel Hampton (and then this idiotic sequence starts over). Counting my trip in the morning, I wasted a good six hours to get a two hour recording. :) And to think, some people think doing this stuff is easy. :lol:

Thanks to Jay for letting me vent my frustration last night through emails.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Unless something wacky is going on, and after my recording session last night, I don't doubt something could be going on, but the Pioneer Hall loop runs a few minutes past 6 hours. :lol:
So if you are hanging around Ol' Man Island, although the total loop runs 1:53:54, you get 59 minutes of the first loop, a 59 minute repeat of the loop you just listened to, and then 55 minutes of music from Lionel Hampton (and then this idiotic sequence starts over).
Maybe they're still using a commercial 5-slot CD unit at these locations, and someone has set them to play entire CDs, but from random slot locations. This would make it possible to hear something like:

CD1 — CD2 — CD1 — CD2 — CD2 — CD1 — CD2 — CD1 — CD1

I wasted a good six hours to get a two hour recording.
You better go back and do some more listening. There could be different repeat patterns, more or less proving my theory above, or even a CD3 (for Ol' Man Island) that eventually turns up! :wacko:

Horizons

Playlist Author
Maybe they're still using a commercial 5-slot CD unit at these locations, and someone has set them to play entire CDs, but from random slot locations. This would make it possible to hear something like:

CD1 — CD2 — CD1 — CD2 — CD2 — CD1 — CD2 — CD1 — CD1
Based on my 3 1/2 hour recording, I am fairly confident that I recorded music from four CDs, with the following run times (there were no repeated tracks):

CD1: 42:27
CD2: 61:41
CD3: 63:39
CD4: 33:29

I know I am missing part of CD1 and CD4, and all of CD5. I'm not sure how this all adds up to six hours, given that CD2 and CD3 don't use the 74 minute maximum. The track I was able to ID this morning and afternoon was, within a few minutes, played 6 hours apart.

You better go back and do some more listening. There could be different repeat patterns, more or less proving my theory above, or even a CD3 (for Ol' Man Island) that eventually turns up! :wacko:
I'm done with Port Orleans - Riverside. If there's a CD3 for Ol' Man Island, someone else is going to discover that information. :lol:

Horizons

Playlist Author
You better go back and do some more listening. There could be different repeat patterns, more or less proving my theory above, or even a CD3 (for Ol' Man Island) that eventually turns up! :lol:
Actually, I hit all five CDs the other evening.

CD1: Lionel Hampton music was playing when I got to the pool.

CD2: Non-LH loop

CD3: Non-LH REPEAT

CD4: Lionel Hampton music (which is what I was trying to get a recording of)

CD5: Non-LH (Tiger Rag) started again.

So you don't have to go back and listen for six hours. :wacko:

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I thought you were the Bluegrass fanatic of the group. :lol:
It would be too much of a good thing.
Just like Typhoon Lagoon and the surf guitar instrumentals. I love surf music. I own a ton of it. But they play way too much of it around Typhoon Lagoon's Surf Pool. You can only take so much of it.

Actually, I hit all five CDs the other evening.
Not necessarily. You originally told me that you believe the sequence to be:

[1] Lionel [2] Jazz [3] Jazz [1] Lionel [2] Jazz [3] Jazz [1] Lionel [2] Jazz [3] Jazz . . .

If all five slots were loaded, using your observation above, you'd end up with a different repeat:

[1] Lionel [2] Jazz [3] Jazz [4] Lionel [5] Jazz [1] Lionel [2] Jazz [3] Jazz [4] Lionel [5] Jazz . . .

If your original observation was correct, there can only be three CDs. Or, as I said, perhaps there are only two CDs, but they are on some weird repeat schedule. You need to revisit Ol' Man Island and make sure the same sequence repeats over and over. Another 12-14 hours should do it! :wacko:

Horizons

Playlist Author
If all five slots were loaded, using your observation above, you'd end up with a different repeat:

[1] Lionel [2] Jazz [3] Jazz [4] Lionel [5] Jazz [1] Lionel [2] Jazz [3] Jazz [4] Lionel [5] Jazz . . .

If your original observation was correct, there can only be three CDs. Or, as I said, perhaps there are only two CDs, but they are on some weird repeat schedule. You need to revisit Ol' Man Island and make sure the same sequence repeats over and over. Another 12-14 hours should do it! :angry:
My head hurts. :lol:

It's all yours Jay. :wacko:

I was going to ask this question just to Horizons, but I will ask it here instead. We just got back to from WDW for our annual trip to celebrate our anniversary. We stayed at POR and we had to walk back and forth past Ol' Man Island every time we went anywhere, due to the location of our room. I could have sworn that I heard Louis Armstrong singing "His Eye is on The Sparrow." Was that song in any of the recordings you made, Horizons?

Horizons

Playlist Author
I could have sworn that I heard Louis Armstrong singing "His Eye is on The Sparrow." Was that song in any of the recordings you made, Horizons?
This song is included in the loop, but I don't have artist or CD information for it.

One of the artists used in the loop may be the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. Shazam didn't ID any of the songs in the non-Lionel Hampton loop, so more investigation is needed.

Horizons

Playlist Author
One of the artists used in the loop may be the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. Shazam didn't ID any of the songs in the non-Lionel Hampton loop, so more investigation is needed.
Actually, the entire non-Lionel Hampton loop is just the CD "New Orleans, Vol. 1" by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. It looks like a lot of thought went into this loop. :lol:

It would not be the first time that Disney used an entire CD for something like this. They are not always so original when it comes to places on property like the hotels. At least it makes it easy to find. Did the "New Orleans, Vol. 1" by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band CD have the song I mentioned on it. I was not sure if it was Louis Armstrong or not. I thought it might be someone trying to sound like him. He does have a very distinctive sound, but I do know that some people have tried to imitate it; some good, others not so good.

Horizons

Playlist Author
Did the "New Orleans, Vol. 1" by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band CD have the song I mentioned on it.
The CD does have the version of His Eye Is On the Sparrow that is used in the loop. They just put the CD in (maybe two copies) and hit play. No other modifications were done to it. In any event, after listening to the CD on property four times, and once at home, I really like it.

Horizons

Playlist Author
It looks like Wedroy1923 was able to find the source CD for the Lionel Hampton loop. Since you only need to purchase two CDs to reconstruct the loop, one of the cheapest reconstructions on property!

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
So if you are hanging around Ol' Man Island, although the total loop runs 1:53:54, you get 59 minutes of the first loop, a 59 minute repeat of the loop you just listened to, and then 55 minutes of music from Lionel Hampton (and then this idiotic sequence starts over).
I can confirm that the Lionel Hampton music is all from RCA's Lionel Hampton - Greatest Hits. So, unless there is a mysterious CD3 or CD4 that decides to pop up, the area music at Port Orleans Riverside's Ol' Man Island consists of:

Now, what does this have to do with the Wilderness Lodge? :lol:

Edit: LOL! It looks like I was posting my findings at the same time you were posting yours (wedroy1923's)!

Horizons

Playlist Author
I can confirm that the Lionel Hampton music is all from RCA's Lionel Hampton - Greatest Hits.
Did you go to the resort and make this confirmation?

So, unless there is a mysterious CD3 or CD4 that decides to pop up, the area music at Port Orleans Riverside's Ol' Man Island consists of:
Let us know if you hear the mysterious CD3 or CD4. I'm done with this one (moving on to the French Quarter).

Now, what does this have to do with the Wilderness Lodge? :lol:
It's all tied together. The original discussion was about the WL loop. I mentioned Fort Wilderness in a later post, on the theory that the music could be similar. On that note, I gave an update about Pioneer Hall and in doing so, I disucssed what happened when I was recording the Port Orleans music.

Are you paying attention? :wacko:

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Did you go to the resort and make this confirmation?
No, I listened to the recording that some knucklehead had made. :p

From there, it was a simple matter of locating a CD that had the same 14 Lionel Hampton songs in the same sequence. It took all of about 60 seconds to do this on AMG.

I also thought about calling the Hotel Manager, but that would have been too easy. :rolleyes:

let us know if you hear the mysterious CD3 or CD4.
You (emphasis on 'you') need to put in another 12-14 hours making sure you've got the right sequence. :lol:

I gave an update about Pioneer Hall and in doing so, I disucssed what happened when I was recording the Port Orleans music.

Are you paying attention? :lol:
Yes, of course. And I've been trying to figure out how to separate this mess into two or three topics ever since you created it. :p