1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Question for Randy

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Bill, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Bill

Bill Guest

I thought I'd give you a break from answering questions about the OA. I'm probably not the only one on here who would be interested to hear what music YOU respond to. Of course you could tell us what Disney music you're partial to, but I'm curious what your favorites are OUTSIDE the berm too. Maybe you'll expand some horizons with your answer!

2. Randy Thornton

Randy Thornton Member

I do love all the Disney Classics and their great composers � Frank Churchill, Oliver Wallace, Paul Smith, Ed Plumb, Leigh Harline, etc. And the more contemporary - the Sherman Brothers, Buddy Baker, and George Bruns. Special mention for Irwin Kostal�s arrangement of �Mary Poppins� - shear brilliance. These folks are �The Disney Sound� to me and they�ll always be my heroes.

In my casual listening (beyond the berm), I always find myself reaching for the same collection of works. For some of the folks listed below - I have their entire discography. Some, just 2 or 3 CDs. But this is who I listen to on a regular basis.

Laurie Anderson
    Electric Light Orchestra
    They Might Be Giants
    Wendy Carlos
    Raymond Scott
    Randy Newman
    Alice Cooper
    Pink Floyd
    Scott Joplin
    Danny Kaye / Sylvia Fine
    Roger Waters
    The Beatles
    Harry Nilsson
    Crash Test Dummies
    Alan Parsons
    Linda Ronstadt
    Carl Stalling
    Leo Kotke
    Mark O�Connor
    Wolfstone
    The Animaniacs
    Queen
    Traveling Wilburys
    Rick Wakeman
    Andy Partridge
    John Williams
    Danny Elfman
    Bernard Herrmann
    Eric Wolfgang Korngold
    Michael Kamen
    Bruce Broughton
    Howard Shore
    John Debney
    Rachel Portman
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    Johann Sebastian Bach
    Johannes Brahms
    Ludwig Von Beethoven
    Gilbert & Sullivan

I�m sure there�s psychological profile in there somewhere; just don�t tell me what it is. I scare easy.

Randy

3. almandot

almandot Member

Woo animaniacs =D

baloney is our friendly friend that we made up ourselves, he likes to sing and play all day that we made up ourselves! *SMACK*

4. Randy Thornton

Randy Thornton Member

An anvil?s big and shiny,
    It?s really heavy too,
    Watch out my chubby friend,
    Or one will fall on you.

SLAM!

Yum, yum, doodle dum! That was fun!

I?ve worked with Rob, Jess, and Tress (Yakko, Wakko, and Dot) quite a few times. They?re all really great people. Jess (Wakko is my favorite) even recorded a voice-mail greeting for me.

All this, and I get paid for it too!

Randy

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member

And a Broughton fan, no less! Hey, I know of a petition for you to sign, uh...er...

;D

6. Michael Zielski

Michael Zielski Member

Aaaah...Bernard Herrmann. Randy, have you had the opportunity to listen to William Stromberg and John Morgan's new recordings of Fahrenheit 451 and Mysterious Island, on their new Tribute Film Classics Label? I'll be listening to the Mysterious Island recording for the first time on the way home today, thinking of how I missed seeing Ray Harryhausen in sunny California today, at the Every Picture Tells a Story gallery in Santa Monica...it was below zero in Maine this morning.

Michael

7. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member

Yes, please, to more Bruns. When "Music from the Dexter Riley Films" appears on iTunes, I will know that I am dreaming, or have died and gone to a better place.