OT - I wanna be a boom!

s8ntmark

Ugh, How long must I wait to become a boom??

Faints dramatically...

SharonKurland

Ahem...
Name: s8ntmark
Position: Plunk
Date Registered: October 4, 2002, 01:08:22 PM

230 posts in 2 years, 8 months, 9 days. Gonna take a whole lot more than 3 years for him to catch up .

Bill would miss me if I was gone that long. Right Bill?

-Sharon-

s8ntmark

Is there really a Maestro Boom? oh NO!

Sharon, you better stay gone for say....6 years? The way I ve been posting lately, It might take a while ;D

Although to be fair, Im really not trying to beat anyone....just reach God status myself ;)

SharonKurland

Don't worry Mark...I'm not trying to beat anyone either...I've had the "gift of gab" online since I got my first computer in 1984. It's such a pity that I'm so quiet and shy in real life.

Yeahright ;)

SharonKurland

I graduated high school in June of 1984. That 1983-1984 school year, ours was the first class to take what what they called "Computer Math." It was a class that taught us BASIC on Commodore 64's.

QUIZ: What will my screen look like if I ran this program?

10 ? "Sharon ";
20 goto 10
run

Anyway, some friends of mine actually had their own C64's at home, so I was playing around with those too, going on local BBS's and Pirate Boards on weekends. My handle was Bullwinkle's Aunt. I don't know why I invented that name, so don't even bother asking .

My parents' intention was to get me an electric typewriter for HS graduation but after a year of playing with computers, I decided I wanted one of those instead. So my parents gave me the money they'd spend on an electric typewriter, I pooled that with more graduation money and and some savings too, and bought an Apple IIe, with a monitor and Dynax daisywheel printer, for $2000 in July 1984. Oh and a 300bps modem. Not an acoustic coupler, mind you...I went high tech .

Danny-

Nope, I wasn't on the 'net in 1984, because the 'net really wasn't available to the general public back then. I used local bulletin boards (BBS's) until 1992, when I bought an IBM 486 and joined Prodigy....which was nothing more than a NATIONAL BBS, but still was just, essentially, an intranet. I joined Delphi (also basically a national intranet) in 1993 and around '94 or so, they offered Usenet access...not that I had a CLUE of what that was or how to make it work for me (to this very day, I can't do the file exchanges that people do on Usenet and BOY, do I wish I could!). Finally got onto the WWW in 1995, when I got a 586 computer and MSN.

You'd think that, after owning computers for 21 of my 39 years, that I'd know a LOT about them. I don't. I can find ANYTHING on the 'net...I am the QUEEN of investigative work and should work for the FBI...but when it comes to hardware and software, I am lost.

But I sure do talk a lot .

-Sharon-
Orlando FL

Dirk

.. oh .. BASIC .. I still remember this ... and then came the compiler for BASIC on the Amiga ... sigh ... now I really feel old

If I remember those old times right, your screen should fill with your name Sharon followed by a space.

But are you sure you need the "run" in the last line? I mean: yes you need to tell the computer to start executing your little program, but then the run is the order to start doing so and not really part of the small program. My god ... this was sooooo long ago.

Yours
Dirk

SharonKurland

Dirk-

You're right. But I think it would work either way. Notice that I didn't make it "30 Run". If I had, as soon as I finished writing the program and hit enter, it would start running (Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon Sharon etc.). The way I wrote it, I'd have to type in the "run" and THEN it'd start running.

All a moot point though....so about Disney Music....?