1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Goodbye Captain .. Oh My Captain

Discussion in 'Archive' started by JeffNOrangeCounty, Jan 24, 2004.

1. JeffNOrangeCounty

JeffNOrangeCounty Member

I just have to say my goodbye to a piece of my childhood. My friend has died.

Bob Keeshan - 'Captain Kangaroo' Dies at 76

I have my first memories of this show, in Black and White. I was the generation before Sesame Street and after MMClub.. Early 60s, contemparary of John John.

Bob Keeshan was my tutor and friend. I did not have to share him with a studio audience. Besides Uncle Walt, Captain Kangaroo was my regular diet of TV morals and lessons. I remember him fondly, Mr Moose, Mr Green Jeans and the rest with warm and fuzzy memories. He is a piece of my childhood gone. "He was an original ..And we shall never see his like again..."

Jeff in Orange County

NPR report
    http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/...re_1614644.html

2. Jeff in NY

Jeff in NY Member

"He was a happy accident."

I too will miss the Captain. Actually, I always missed him, because his show is one of the few that is impossible to see anywhere, except perhaps at the Museum of Television.

The first time I colored on the TV screen was while watching him do a drawing lesson.

He's up there with Fred Rogers, Jim Henson, and Walt now.

3. xfkirsten

xfkirsten Member

I too will miss him greatly. Like many others, I grew up on Captain Kangaroo. Oh, those ping pong balls...

The first time? You did it more than once? ;D

-Kirsten

4. Michael Zielski

Michael Zielski Member

Thanks for an appropriate OT tribute, Jeff--both my wife and I paused for a moment yesterday morning when we heard the news.

You know, it would be nice to be able to see some of those old shows; maybe the reason many of us feel the way we do about Walt is because we're constantly reminded of him through audio-visual materials, magazines, books, etc.--not the same for the Captain.

I miss Shari Lewis, too--but at least she's digitalized now, as her first Golden Record is on CD--brings back the memories.....and the smiles(my son was even able to catch some of Shari before her untimely passing).

Mike