OT: Artists being kicked out of Disney-MGM

"I am a cast member at the Magic of Disney Animation, and I feel the need to inform our guests about some very unethical decisions that have been made clear in the past couple of days. For those of you who miss seeing actual animators ever since the studio has closed, but still enjoy being able to draw at the Animation Academy, you should know that as of February 1, 2005 there will be NO trained Disney Artists at The Magic of Disney Animation.

Guests will be taught by an untrained cast member who will be tracing from a template. You may just as well ask the person at the front of the room for a piece of paper and go trace it yourself." - Magic of Disney Animation artist

For more information, http://www.d-troops.com/articles.php?id=150 here is the entire article.

Also, www.SaveDisney.com has a brand new animation article up. It's a must read.

Gurgitoy2

Great, so now we've got fake artists to add to the fake tram tour. Geez what a dumb idea! But, I guess since they closed down the Animation department, what point is there in keeping a couple animators down there just to draw for guests. They should have just gotten rid of that part of the show.

Now I'm curious as to what they do at the one in DCA, since that's not a working studio either. It is closer to Burbank, where they could get an animator to work the desk, but I doubt they even bothered with that. So, maybe DCA's is fake too?

X-S Tech

Yeah DCA's always been fake. Too bad cause so far the artists they've hired are perfectly capable of drawing. But they aren't given that freedom.

X-S Tech

And no animator would touch that job with a ten foot Toon pole. As a rule, animators don't like doing what they do in public, much less with nothing between them and the guests. At least FL had the windows.

Their last day may be this week. It would be a true tragedy for MGM/WDW.

HOWEVER, the artists have asked me to spread the word: contact Disney! Even the VP of MGM-Studios encouraged guests to call and write in.

This means a lot to them, and even the ex-animators who helped trained them.

Here is contact information (calls and email is VERY easy and takes little time. . . see original link for contact information):

Jim MacPhee
The Disney-MGM Studios Administration
Phone: 407-560-6688 - ask for MGM Management
Fax: 407-560-1150

Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10000
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000
EMAIL: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Mr. Al Weiss
President of Walt Disney World Resort
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830