1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Anyone in, or know someone in the NYC Area? Need a possible favor

Discussion in 'Archive' started by SharonKurland, Jun 13, 2004.

1. SharonKurland

SharonKurland Active Member

Bumping this up to the top one more time, with a slight edit to include "do you know anybody," just to let myself know that I tried the best that I could. :'(

Going to keep my exact request quiet until it goes into e-mail but is anyone on this list:

1. Living in the NYC area (or knows and trusts someone who does)
    2. Owner of a minidisc recorder or similar good-sounded recording device?

If so, please send me a private message. Thanks!

-Sharon-

2. SharonKurland

I guess it doesn't bump unless there'a a reply, not just a modification. Oops .

-Sharon-
    (or, if it helps, -Haron-)

3. SharonKurland

Bill-

Nah, not a murder for hire . Just something that's better left in e-mail .

-Mysterious Sharon-

4. thx99

thx99 Real-life Harry Caul Moderator Playlist Author

Well, New York is a one-party consent state so recording a phone call or a conversation with a person without notifying them that they're being recorded is not illegal; the person making the recording is providing the consent.

But somehow I think Sharon has something else in mind. ;)

BTW, if you are in a two-party consent state (Maryland, for example) and you are on a phone call with someone in a one-party consent state, they can legally record you without your consent. The law applies only to the state in which the recording is made.

5. Burnsland

Burnsland Member

Wow! You never know what you will learn here. Thanks, Doug! Now I have to check which category my state falls in.
    :)

6. SharonKurland

> But somehow I think Sharon has something
    > else in mind. ;)

Well....yeah .

...Anybody???

-Sharon-

7. thx99

Sharon, I would gladly help you out but I live in the DC area, not in NY.

And re: my previous comments about one/two party consent, I am not a lawyer so before making any recordings, please consult a lawyer in your state. I'd hate to mislead anyone into thinking that they're not breaking the law when in fact they are.

According to a number of sources, there are twelve states requiring two-party (or all-party) consent: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington.

And apparently, it's not quite as cut-and-dry as I thought if you live in a one-party state and record a person living in a two-party state. You have not broken the law in your state, but you have according to the other party's state. Again, seek the advice of legal counsel in your state.

8. SharonKurland

Sigh....OK folks, I'll say this...lest my reputation as a (pretty much) law-abiding citizen be besmirched, it has NOTHING to do with taping phone conversations . But it's kind of a moot point because I can't find anyone to help me anyway .

-Sharon-

9. Gurgitoy2

Gurgitoy2 Active Member

Well, I would help, but I haven't got the recording equipment you need.

10. thx99

Sharon, I would like to apologize for taking this thread off into a completely unrelated area. Also, I never meant for my posts to be read as implications that you intended to break the law in any way; I feel like I guilted you into your comment above. Sorry! :-[

My stream of consciousness began to flow after Bill's "murder for hire" jest above, and it obviously has runneth over.

11. SharonKurland

Doug-

You're apologizing to me, the Queen of Off-Topicness, about how you changed the direction of this thread? Thank-you but, um.....an apology is DEFINITELY not necessary . Heck, if nothing else, it made the thread a little more interesting and less "I'm really desperate for someone to help me" I don't like looking desperate .

But again nope, no murder, no phone conversations, nothing like that.

And I sent a private message out to Ben C. .

-Sharon-

12. SharonKurland

Thanks Bill. DEFINITELY a good thing to know. Keeping my fingers crossed that, if we get the logistics worked out, he'll be able to help me.

-Sharon-

13. Gurgitoy2

Gurgitoy2 Active Member

Gee, THANKS, Bill! I guess you didn't read my post before yours that said I didn't have the recording equipment for it? Although, don't YOU have a minidisc recorder?

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member

And LOADS of time on your hands, these days, isn't that right, Bill? ;D