1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Mickey's 50th - Ovation records

Discussion in 'Disney Recordings' started by makeminemusic, Oct 14, 2008.

1. makeminemusic

makeminemusic Member

2. makeminemusic

makeminemusic Member

I think I have the single but not sure if it is a promo. I will check when I get home and if so, I will record and post it also.

3. makeminemusic

makeminemusic Member

Bill, I found the 45, yes it is a promo "DJ Copy". Side one has "I grew up on Mickey Mouse" same as LP. Side 2 is "Mickey's Early Years 1929-1934" and are from the shorts "Here come the Movie Stars", "Minnie's Yoo Hoo", "Baloney", "Mary Had a Little Lamb", "Operatic Aria" and "Congratulations Mr. Mickey Mouse". (these are excerpts from the 4 LP set) Recorded side 2 and added to blog.

I also found Vista F-472 which contains two versions of "Minnie's Yoo Hoo!" from the "Mickey Mouse 40th Anniversary Show" on "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color" which aired on December 22, 1968. I have recorded these also and will add to the blog along with pictures.

4. Gurgitoy2

Gurgitoy2 Active Member

Wow, all of those songs were on that promo LP? I'll have to track that down, as some of those songs I've not heard english versions of. Did you get the pictures from the auction as well?

5. Greg Ehrbar

Greg Ehrbar Member

The only song from the promos that appear on the Ovation "Mickey's 50th" LP, which was sold as a bonus LP with "The Magical Music of Walt Disney" through Columbia House mail order, is "I Grew Up On Mickey Mouse." The rest of that LP is previously released Mickey Mouse Club & New Mickey Mouse Club music on side one and "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" music on side two.

The four-album boxed set, also sold in stores without the bonus Mickey LP, featured medleys of Disney soundtracks (except "Alice in Wonderland," because would not be licensed as a soundtrack until Randy produced the CD in the 90's -- thanks again Randy!). The medleys came directly from the film tracks and were thus different from the Disneyland/Vista records available at the same time in the late 70s. It also included some of the 40s animation stuff and extended Rescuers tracks. The only music it took from other released records was most of the theme park stuff.

But unlike the boxed set, the "Mickey's 50th" bonus LP offers nothing different, just medleys of edited music from existing records -- they didn't even bother to reproduce "Bedknobs" in stereo -- plus the "I Grew Up on Mickey Mouse" song.

The songs on the Buena Vista promo 45 were undoubtedly for parades and publicity surrounding Mickey's birthday and to my knowledge did not appear on an LP as far as I know, except for that one song. However, "Hey Rah Rah Rah" was released by Warner Brothers as a single by... get ready... Davy Jones.

6. IndyandMarion

IndyandMarion New Member

Does anyone happen to know where I can find a copy of "Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy & the Gang" from the Songfest record?