1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Mary Poppins Deluxe Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Archive' started by X-S Tech, Jul 19, 2004.

1. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

This is just one of those silly topics, but I'm curious to know.

Although I love a lot of the classic films and am happy anytime one of the soundtracks is released, the score for Mary Poppins has pretty much been my ultimate want for... well forever. Specifically I have always thought the most beautiful musical moment from that film, is when Mr Banks leaves the house after being summoned to the bank and we have that long slow montage of him walking through twilight London and passing the steps of St. Paul, where "Feed the Birds" comes into the score. Great Moment. Does anyone else have any specifics that they are especially excited about?

2. GrizzlyHall

GrizzlyHall Member

Oh wow. . . so many thoughts and scenes.

I'd go for the whole chimney/walking on the London rooftops sequence. BEAUTIFUL.

Now I'm wanting to pop in my VHS (soon to be DVD) right now. :D

3. chris

chris Member

The two musical moments you both mentioned are two of my favorites as well. I'm sure they both will be included in the new soundtrack. I also always loved the ending of "Pavement Artist" during the rain sequence.

Unfortunately, one of my very favorite parts of the score, the rest of "Lets Go Fly a Kite", will not be included in the new soundtrack. Randy said that because of time constraints it was left off. It's such a beautiful finale overall and a gorgeous part of the score. I am glad however that we are getting a good bit of other parts of the score on this new release.

Mary Poppins will always be the crown jewel in the world of Disney in my opinion, as I'm sure many others feel the same way. I'm very grateful that it is getting special treatment this year.

[​IMG]

4. Technirama70

Technirama70 New Member

It was mentioned on another website that Mary Poppins was originally released with an Overture and Intermission. The intermission came right after "Stay Awake". The information was discussed in regards to the upcoming 40th Anniversary Edition of the DVD and whether they would be included on the DVD.

So I was wondering, if found, would they be included on the upcoming Deluxe CD?

Also, I hope music from the "Jolly Holiday" sequence (carousel, fox hunt, horse race) and the sequence where Jane & Michael are lost in London (after Michael refuses to give his tupence to Mr. Dawes) are included. They are great extended pieces of music, and I would love to have these two score extensions included in the cd.

5. sds910

sds910 Member

I can confirm that the intermission music, at the very least, was indeed located during the production of the new DVD. While I have no idea whether or not it will be included in either the CD or DVD release, a copy of the track did make its way into my personal archives, and it's a thing of beauty. If for some reason it doesn't turn up on the official releases, I'll see what I can do to ensure its availability to the cognoscenti.

Steve

6. chris

chris Member

7. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

Steve, are we sure that that clip is the whole Intermission? It's awfully short. I know that that clip was connected to the end of teh Overture on at least one version of the Soundtrack LP.

I forget where I read it (probably here on another thread) but didn't Randy mention that this Soundtrack included every piece of music in the film with one tiny exception? I don't remember if he mentioned what the exception was. Anyone else?

8. sds910

sds910 Member

it's the *intermission* music... and *should* be short. Methinks you'd be thinking of the entr'acte music...

;)

Steve

9. MickeysPal1981

MickeysPal1981 New Member

Hi!

Here's just a quick thought I had...

They should make a carpet bag that we can put the DVD and CD in so it could look like we'd be able to keep taking things out of the bag like Mary Poppins does!

Robert

10. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

11. Technirama70

Technirama70 New Member

[attachment deleted by admin]

12. deviantman

deviantman New Member

Hi,
    This is great news that Disney is once again diving into their vaults. But I see a problem here already because as MARY POPPINS is such a high profile Disney title. Randy has already goofed because he decided not to make this a 2CD set of the complete score with interviews and bonus demo tracks that were featured on the first CD issue (which I still own). It is also a shame that the proposed 20 CD box set does not contain ROBIN HOOD (George Bruns & Roger Miller) or Elmer Bernstein's magnificent score to THE BLACK CAULDRON.

I think Disney might reissue ALICE as a single CD because of the 8 new bonus tracks for fans, but I am again dissapointed by the minimal amount of music allowed to spring forth from such an institution of great music for children and the eternally young at heart.

Please oh please release CDs of THE BLACK CAULDRON & ROBIN HOOD before I pass away!!!

:'(

13. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

I'm not sure I understood any of that last post.

":Randy has already goofed because he decided not to make this a 2CD set of the complete score with interviews and bonus demo tracks that were featured on the first CD issue (which I still own)."

- Actually this sounds like exactly what Randy HAS done, in addition to adding more.

"I think Disney might reissue ALICE as a single CD because of the 8 new bonus tracks for fans, but I am again dissapointed by the minimal amount of music allowed to spring forth from such an institution of great music for children and the eternally young at heart."

-The Classic Soundtrack of Alice has just about every note of music heard in the film, what more can you ask for? Yes there is a lack of Bonus Material on the US disc. But the disc should hardly be classified as "minimal". Considering that the Laser Disc release had 38 Demo recordings, sounds like the Alice Disc with only 8 is the one that is the one that got scrimped on.

14. Gurgitoy2

Gurgitoy2 Active Member

Yes, the Japanese Alice disc from the "Disney Dreams" boxed set has WAY less demos/unused songs than the laserdisc had.

15. deviantman

deviantman New Member

No,
    From what I've been reading up to what I posted is that the new MARY POPPINS is a single CD release expanded to 79 minutes. I didn't see any other details about the new release in this post line saying that is was a 2CD set.

And as far as ALICE and other classics CDs go they are fine. The eight bonus tracks compared to none is a difference if you are comparing CDs. Why are you comparing a CD to a laserdisc?

:mad:

16. deviantman

deviantman New Member

Also,
    By minimal, I mean Disney releases very little of their vast library to the public and is very selective to other lables who wish to release their music. I'm not refering to just one title, the magnificent MARY POPPINS, but thousands of animated and live action projects since 1940.

For example the INTRADA label for a brief time had access to a few newer Bruce Broughton and James Horner scores in the early 1990s, but that was it. They were also generous enough to grant Varese Sarabande permission to release THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE on CD, but they did not give permission for THE BLACK CAULDRDON (that was a rerecording made in Utah). The complete CAULDRON score is over 70 minutes. The CONDORMAN score by Henry Mancini is over thirty minutes. THE BLACK HOLE is over thirty minutes. CANDLESHOE is over fifty minutes (by the late Ron Goodwin) and BABY: THE SECRET OF THE LOST LEGEND by Jerry GOLDSMITH, who just passed away, is almost 60 minutes.

So, do you understand MINIMAL now. I'm refering to the vast archive of Disney's musical heritage of popular mainstream and forgotten duds, animated and live action. That is a TON of music!! Do you UNDERSTAND now??

;D

17. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

Here's some info from another post regarding a presentation Randy did at the NFFC convention regarding The Mary Poppins 40th Anniversary 2-Disc set.

"They've been trying to get this project off the ground for 15 years. And one day at work, when Randy was working in the tape room he came across a reel called "Mary Poppins pre-demo." Mary Poppins, was Randy's high school band teacher's favorite movie, and he was the one who taught Randy how to edit and clean up tapes. And if he could get a great MP soundtrack made, that would be kinda a way to say, "Thanks." So when his bosses came by and asked what they should do, Randy said Mary Poppins. The boss wasn't too sure, they had done a soundtrack before, hadn't done too well, (Randy said, of course not it was a bad vinyl pressing and the cover art made Julie Andrews look like a dancing girl) they would need to do something to make it special to get it approved by management. Randy pulled out the pre-demo and said, "Does anyone know that this is here?" No one did, including the Sherman Brothers. So that became the impetus for the new project.

So they still had this stuff to work with. And then one day, Randy was with Dick Sherman and Dick brought out 6 reels, 7 hours of tapes of the early story meetings with Walt, P.L. Travers, Dick & Bob Sherman and a few other top people.

On the second CD will have 41 minutes of these meetings. All the songs that didn't make the film, like the compass sequence. There is a 12 minute interview with Dick Van Dyke, Julie Andrews, Sherman Bros and Irwin Kostal (arranger and conductor) done by the Hollywood Spotlight Microphone, the radio spots, the Sherman Brothers interview that did make it on the restored soundtrack, snippets from the orchestra sessions. The first CD will have 26 new minutes of score added to the soundtrack. The soundtrack now comes in at a total of 79 min 48 sec which gives them 12 sec to spare on the CD. Definetely a jam-packed album.

A few tidbits: Cherry Tree Lane is based on Mrs. Travers house, 90% of the whistling in the movie was done by Julie Andrews, Dick Sherman played the Kazuu in the Jolly Holiday sequence and Irwin Kostal did the softshoe sounds for the penguins. "

18. Gurgitoy2

Gurgitoy2 Active Member

You have to think of it from a business standpoint though. None of those movies you mentioned were huge hits. Some were even downright flops. So, if Disney has a hard time even putting them on DVD and making money, why would they even contemplate a CD soundtrack?

I do agree that they should let other labels release this stuff though, as some of the composers (Mancini, Goldsmith) have big followings. Somebody like Rhino could handle them well, but Disney doesn't play well with others, and likes to do things themselves. Look what happened with Anchor Bay.

19. deviantman

deviantman New Member

Tech,
    That is great news, thanks for the info. 79 minutes of Poppins, that is as it should be.

Ben,
    I understand about most of the legalities regarding licenses and re-use fee involved in CD issuing. That's really too bad Disney doesn't "play well with others." Yes, most of the projects I mentioned were flops, but with the new market for limited edition soundtracks where the pressing ranges from 1000 to 3000 copies only (official Disney limited CDs run between 30,000 to 60,000 copies), there is some money to be made only if Disney was more cooperative with other parties.

::)

20. Grinning Ghost

Grinning Ghost Member

One thing I haven't heard mentioned in this thread: When is it coming out? Last I heard it was supposed to be released in August. Well, it's now September, and I haven't seen hyde nor hair of it.... How much longer????

GG