1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese DVD's

Discussion in 'Archive' started by X-S Tech, Feb 23, 2003.

1. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

As I understand it DVD's from Japan will not play in a standard DVD player correct? I have a Chinese Video CD (VCD) and can play this. Will a japanese DVD work with the same system. If not what kind of system do I need. Thanks.

2. Michael Zielski

Michael Zielski Member

I can only speak from my experience of one--I recently purchased a Japanese 2-DVD set of Spirited Away, through ebay, from an American seller, which was billed as an "all-region" DVD. It plays fine in my standard DVD player, definitely did not appear to be a "boot." So, either I was taken, or there are some Japanese DVD's which are "all-regions." Mike.

3. sam253

sam253 Member

Japanese DVDs are NTSC like the US ones, but they are region 2. US is region 1 so you'll need a region-free player to watch them.
    Mike, I'm afraid your Spirited Away DVD is not a legal copy :(

4. Gurgitoy2

Gurgitoy2 Active Member

Yeah, I can speak from experience, and say that Japanese DVD's DON'T play on US DVD players, unless you have a region-free player. That Spirited Away DVD was most likely a bootleg just made very professionally. That's been happening A LOT with the Studio Ghibli stuff lately! It's very difficult to tell the difference between the real stuff and the fake.

5. Michael Zielski

Michael Zielski Member

Boy, Ben, I'll tell you, it's a beauty of a boot! I suspected a snake in the grass, and tried to do some quick homework--but I was trying to give Santa a last minute hand for a Christmas present to really surprise my son(you know, the kind of present that only Santa can pull off!)--he absolutely loves this movie, and Miyazaki's work in general! Oh well, we still had a great Christmas day--watching Spirited Away was the first thing we did once the presents were all opened. I guess if one day I decide to tell him about the bootleg, I can at least blame it on the elves.........Mike.

6. TDLFAN

TDLFAN Member

I am only guessing here but I can play VCD on my US region #1, but Tokyo DVD #2 i can't! So maybe there is a chance that region #2 won't play on VCD format, but i am only guessing. ???

7. DisneylandKid

DisneylandKid Member

Hi Guys, have you ever tried to play the Japanese DVD's on your computer... I remember that one of my friends had no problem playing his Japanese DVD's on his computer. Hope this is a solutuon? ??? - Matt

8. Gurgitoy2

Gurgitoy2 Active Member

No, PC's don't have ways around that. There are programs availible that "kill" the regions so that you can play any DVD. That's what I do, and I am able to play any region DVD on my computer. It's not as nice as watching it on my TV, but I haven't spent the money on a Japanese DVD player yet.

9. sam253

sam253 Member

Video CDs don't have region coding so they can be played in any VCD compatible DVD player.

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow New Member

You'll need to buy a multiregion DVD player. Not hard to find one these days for an affordable price.

Some as low as $50.00. Yes $50.00

Who? What? When? and Where??

Follow this link for MULTIREGION and MACROVISION "hackable" players.
    *Some are no longer sold and some can be found...even at Best Buys*

http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/

*I do not represent the site nor does the site peddle any goods.... It just provides info.*