1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Here Loops, Where Are You Loops?

Discussion in 'Disney Parks and Resorts' started by Prof. Emelius, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Prof. Emelius

Prof. Emelius New Member

Were do all ya'll get all these loops from I here tell about. Fill in a newbie please.

2. The tool of the trade -

tic1.JPG

3. Magic Music

Magic Music Administrator Playlist Author

Yup. But what you want to do is rip the worthless suction cup off of the RS Model 44-533 Telephone Pickup ($6.79) and then run, don't walk, to Office Depot and get yourself some Permanent Glue Dots ($2.49). You'll swear they were made expressly for use with the pickup mic. And, not to worry, they're not actually "permanent."

Glue_Dots.jpg

I'm not sure the Prof. was really asking about the tools of the trade, though. :eek:

4. Horizons

Horizons Playlist Author

Permanent Glue Dots rock! Be sure to get the permanent ones, not the poster dots or other variations, as those haven't worked for me in the field.

5. FluppyDog

FluppyDog New Member

Can you do induction for Fluppy Dogs? How do I do?

6. Magic Music

You can't pretend to be someone who doesn't know how to spell or write a proper sentence, and is asking weird questions, and then expect us to believe that you pulled "induction" out of thin air. :eek:

Me thinks you need to go back to the land of snow and colorful rainbow lights in the sky. :(

7. DisneyMuzik

DisneyMuzik Member

Cool stuff. What do you plug that into for recording? What kind of sample rate do you use? I need to take notes so when I retire to Florida, I can be that guy who sits around speakers all over the WDW property!

8. Magic Music

I use an Olympus LS-10 Linear PCM Recorder.

44.1kHz/24bit.

LOL. That'll be Horizons, but he's not waiting for retirement. I pretty much only go after the music that interests me, such as the African stuff at the AK/AKL, or the Exotica stuff at the Enchanted Tiki Room. I'm guilty of recording the Xmas loops over at Winter/Summerland, though. ;)

9. DisneyMuzik

DisneyMuzik Member

Thanks Jay. I think a short video showing various techniques for discriminately attaching recording devices and hanging around for awhile is in order!!

10. Club 33

Club 33 Playlist Author

I would say that doing induction recordings is not so much a test of skill, or or knowledge, but just of will. You have to have the willingness and the patience to spend lots of time sitting around doing nothing or in awkward situations getting weird looks, and everything in between.

11. kirky99

kirky99 Member

WOW! You guys are pretty observant, I would have NEVER caught that!

And back on topic, I don't agree with induction recording being a good mix between skill and will. It's true that most of it does itself, but finding the locations and getting the right position to do the recordings DOES take some skill. Yes. eventually even a noob could get a good recording, but the chances of them giving up long before a success are pretty high, otherwise we would be flooded with recordings. I'm constantly adding to my equipment bag and I haven't done a recording is over a year now. Those permanent dots are something I have not seen though, I'll have to pick some up! Thanks!

12. Horizons

Horizons Playlist Author

I wish we were...I need help cutting my to do list down.

13. msg7

msg7 New Member

Hi all! I'm eager to pick up the hobby of recording music at the parks/resorts however, I'm not sure what equipment to use. What audio recorder and telephone pickup do you guys use to record your music?

Thanks!
    -msg7

14. Magic Music

I have an old RS Model 44-533 Telephone Pickup that I use for induction recording. I've removed the suction cup, it's of no use when recording park music, and I've superglued a tiny flat Neodymium N52 magnet (from K&J Magnetics) onto the end of the pickup. The magnet allows me to attach the pickup to quite a few speakers as is. For the mushroom speakers, and others without any metal that the magnet will stick to, I place a Permanent Glue Dot on the end of the pickup.

As for the recorder, anything will do. Back in the day, I started out with a Sony MZ-R900 MiniDisc recorder. These days I use digital recorders. I've got an Olympus LS-10 and a Sony ICD-SX2000, which I originally imported, but is now available here in the USA.

msg7 likes this.