61ijZx4KlOL._AC_US80_.jpg
03. Carolina Shout ~3:56
James P. Johnson
Carolina Shout
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

Read more about this playlist...

X-S Tech

Grand Floridian BGM

Does anyone know what Disney uses for background music at the Grand Floridian?

jmcalister

Is there prerecorded background music? So often i know the Live band is playing. And I know they have CD's of thier music. Could it be that you are looking for that? I believe they go by Grand Floridian Society Orchestra.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Stay tuned for some interesting facts about the background music at the Grand Floridian...

Holy smoke! Time traveling threads!

The signpost up ahead - your next stop, The Twilight Zone!

Horizons

Playlist Author
Stay tuned for some interesting facts about the background music at the Grand Floridian...

I'm on pins and needles waiting for your next post...

By the way, I was going to record the pool BGM, but once I heard the elevator music that was playing, which was similar to the Wilderness Lodge pool BGM that I spent close to 4 hours recording, I immediately turned around and went home.

I have a 12- track set from the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra, date is unknown.

Alexander's Ragtime Band, 3'40"
As Time Goes By, 4'20"
At the Jazz Band Ball, 4'04"
Honeysuckle Rose, 3'52"
It Had to Be You, 2'53"
Jersey Bounce, 3'01"
Makin' Whoopee, 2'38"
Moonglow, 5'29"
Sing, Sing, Sing, 4'44"
South, 3'50"
Stardust, 5'22"
What a Wonderful World, 4'54"

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I have a 12- track set from the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra, date is unknown.

What you have is a less-than-complete collection of songs from the GFSO's As Time Goes By album that was recorded in 1995. The CD is available for sale in the Sandy Cove shop located on the first floor of the hotel. You can also find copies for sale on eBay.

There is an incredible background music loop that plays inside of the hotel, and out on the monorail platform, and there is an interesting story behind it, which I hope to share a little later.

As to the GFSO's music, Pat, the band's leader, did tell me just the other day that they've heard some of their own tracks playing in one of the bathrooms, I forget exactly where, maybe it was over in the Convention Center.

So, there you go, Horizons, another bathroom for you to visit with your recorder! Or, I suppose, you could just visit the Sandy Cove and pick up a copy of As Time Goes By. ;)

Horizons

Playlist Author
There is an incredible background music loop that plays inside of the hotel, and out on the monorail platform, and there is an interesting story behind it, which I hope to share a little later.

I didn't see any accessible speakers in the lobby and I don't recall hearing any music outside the main entrance. All I could find were the pool area speakers, but I didn't care for the music. I had my kids with me when I checked for speakers last, so perhaps I missed an obvious way to make a recording (without visiting the restroom). For some reason, my kids were bored...

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
All I could find were the pool area speakers, but I didn't care for the music.

Which pool? The big one in the middle or the smaller one with rock slide off to the side? I believe they each have their own music. No, the stuff out at the pool(s) is not what I'm talking about.

Horizons

Playlist Author
Which pool? The big one in the middle or the smaller one with rock slide off to the side? I believe they each have their own music.

I didn't realize each pool had a separate BGM, athough I haven't spent a lot of time exploring the resort. It was the big one in the middle.

Horizons

Playlist Author
Wait just a cotton-pickin' minute! Is this the same guy who told me that "I pretty much will record anything that comes out of a speaker on Disney property?!" :eek:

Well, there are somethings that are better left unrecorded. Maybe when I record everything else, I'll come back to some of the ones I have passed on.

Or, you can help me...

Horizons

Playlist Author
He forgot his special DDCT asterisk* when he said that

I know I have given you a hard time about this, but, to be honest, the logistics haven't been good for capturing this piece of audio, unless you can tell me where some other accessible speakers are located. I have been twice this month to try, but it wasn't in the cards either time.

EDIT: At 2:10 this afternoon, there was already a crowd where one would need to stand to capture the recording. I did find two speakers off MSUSA that would play the underliner. However, one was not turned on (the closer one) and the other was slightly out of reach.

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
In keeping with the Halloween spirit ;), does anyone know what kind of music, if any, plays at the Grand Floridian? I don't recall anything playing there, but then again I never really payed attention to it.

Thanks, and Happy Halloween!

Horizons

Playlist Author
I couldn't tell you what, but I know there are separate loops for the lobby and the pool area.

Hi. The Grand Floridian does not have background music loops. They do have a PA system in place, but they do not play what you would call BGM. At Christmas, they used to play the same holiday loop that was played on Main Street, TTC, and other locations. I'm talking about that loop with the Ed Sullivan LP needledrops, among others. The guy on MiceAge.com does a tribute article on this loop each year, where he provides artists and titles, as well as amazon links to purchase your favorites.

In terms of an 1890s themed BGM, there is nothing of the sort at the Grand Floridian. The music in the Grand Salon is provided by either the pianist in the center of the floor, or else the eight-piece orchestra on the second-floor veranda. There is no music at the pool deck either. Recently, a pool was installed on the beach, closer to the wedding pavilion. The Summerhouse bar at that location blasts Top-40, but this isn't a WED-prepared loop.

If you want to recreate the atmosphere at the GF in your home, I suggest the CDs available in Sandy Cove gifts. They are great. My favorite one (not that anyone asked) is the Christmas one.

Horizons

Playlist Author
I am 100% confident on the main pool loop, as I passed up the opportunity to record it on several occasions. I am also fairly confident on the lobby music, but I'm not sure if it was Christmas themed or not.

Horizons

Playlist Author
I passed on both opportunities to record the pool loop, as I didn't like the style of music being played. I will be back to check out the lobby music. In fact, I believe another member posted some information about the lobby music a few months back.