1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Duke Ellington Plays The Score From Mary Poppins

Discussion in 'Archive' started by adimike, Mar 15, 2005.

1. adimike

adimike Member

This was just reissued today. I haven't heard it yet.

It is from Collectable Records, out of suburban Philadelphia. Their website is www.oldies.com , but they should be available at retail.

Adrian

[​IMG]

Plays With The Original Motion Picture Score From Walt Disney's "Mary Poppins"

by Duke Ellington

Format: Audio CD
    Number of Discs: 1

Genre: Jazz

Label: Collectables Records
    Release Date: March 15, 2005

Item Number: COL 6732
    Item UPC: 090431673225

Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx); Counts as 1 items for International Shipping.

Original Album Label & Release Date:

Reprise 6141 (1964)

Description by Oldies.com:

A CD reissue of Ellington's 1964 album on which he and his musicians interpret songs from Walt Disney's "Mary Poppins." Soloists include Johnny Hodges, Cootie Williams, Paul Gonslaves and others.

Tracks of Disc 1:
    1. A Spoonful Of Sugar

2. Chim Chim Cheree

3. Feed The Birds

4. Let's Go Fly A Kite

5. Stay Awake

6. Love To Laugh

7. Jolly Holiday

8. Sister Suffragette

9. The Perfect Nanny

10. Step In Time

11. The Life I Lead

12. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

2. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

I've had this for years - it was included in the 5-disc set Duke Ellington: The Reprise Studio Recordings. The Mary Poppins set is certainly not essential Ellington material, but the band seemed to enjoy playing it, and it's a heck of a lot of fun to listen to if you're a Disney music fan (which of course I am!). Recommended!

3. rob kilbride

rob kilbride New Member

How's the quality on the Collectables disc? Was it remastered from the orginal master tapes?

4. Michael Zielski

Michael Zielski Member

Thanks for the heads up on the CD release! I stumbled on the LP a few years ago on ebay(sealed copy), and have wondered why it hadn't gone digital.

It may not be "The Okeh Ellington" collection, but one thing it DEFINITELY is not--another Radio Disney Jams.

Mike