disney stores closing!

FRAN?OIS

Mitch,

You really found theme park items at the Disney Stores????

That was never ever the case here in France -- "they" want one to go to the Parks for that! -- and as the Champs Elys?es store mentioned earlier, I can "assure" everyone that it's now your typical Disney Store...

I was there two days ago and there was some very strong smell... from the plastic they use for some Princess items made in... China or some exotic country where labor is cheap and talented... one more reason for not feeling sorry for the "closing" of said stores...

I used to find park items at my Disney store when they first opened. After awhile the store just went to hell. I haven't even visited the store for about a year now. Disney used to cater to their guests now they really don't. Just last week I called Disney up for some information and this girl was so frickin' cocky. It never used to be like that.

Who ever decided to buy the chain probley to a better job then Disney. Disney sold the Angles (baseball team) & their won the World Series. They sold The Mighty Ducks (hockey team) & their in the finals.

Gurgitoy2

Actually, DWS...Disney just sold the Angels AFTER they won the World Series; and the Mighty Ducks have not been sold yet. Both teams are doing well before Disney sells them (It makes them MUCH easier to get high prices for).

MitchB

Francois,

In answer to your question about the Disney store
selling park items. The store in Columbus, Ohio did sell
some some park merchandise. It was usually items
tied into major promotions such as the major parks
anniversary, also at the holidays they sold some items
that promoted the theme parks. Perphaps they felt
that being so far from any of the parks (the nearest is
WDW and it's about 1000 miles from here) they were
safe in selling items as a way of inticing people to
vacation at the parks.

Actually, DWS...Disney just sold the Angels AFTER they won the World Series; and the Mighty Ducks have not been sold yet. Both teams are doing well before Disney sells them (It makes them MUCH easier to get high prices for).

The ironic thing is that Disney was trying to sell them before they started doing good. I think Disney first started searching for a buyer two or so years ago for the Angels. After they won the World Series a buyer "magically" appeared. The ironic part, is that the selling price is something like 40 million less than the asking price was when they first put the team on the market. (I forget the exact numbers) I imagine the same thing will happen with the Ducks. They will probally find a buyer due to their amazing post season this year, but they probally won't make the original asking price. (But in both cases, will be higher than it would have been without amazing post seasons.)
Side note, there is a decent article about both teams successes at MiceAge.com right now.

Kevin Yee's article on Miceage does have some facts that are accurate. However, If you read the local sports page you will find that Disney gave up on the Angels being profitable 2 years ago, put them up for sale, and heeded the advice that everyone loves a winner and that baseball people should make baseball decisions. This enhanced the product way more than any pixie dust did. The Ducks pretty much went through the same process, although the for sale sign hasn't been as evident or recevied as many calls, being NHL.

Hmmmm maybe then theme park people should run theme parks? Music people sshould run record companies?

JNOC