Disney Parks Official Album Releases — No More?

WDWGuy08

I like to have cd's for backup incase my hard drive or computer fails, you know! plus i love having it for the booklets. plus is less room on my HD hehe! makes room for more things lol.....

eyore

DLRP explorer
Premium Member
Playlist Author
Although I enjoy having the CDs, I do tend to rip them to the PC (and so keep the CDs in good condition). By the same token, I always burn a CD from purchased mp3s! Contrary or what :)

I guess they don't realize we all have on our computers "Disneyland Project" and are hungry for more music :). I admit it. Files detailing individual tracks sound efffects as well as different mixes of attractions..etc...thats me! An obsession...maybe...but a fun one...I raided the disneyland/wdw forever kiosks... ive bought every cd..(even as far as ordering through japanese and french websites etc etc.

X-S Tech

So a CM in the Music store on Main st at Disneyland showed me their list of upcoming releases. Among them were Official Albums for resorts on both coasts, to be released July 30. I know some people will say, "Yeah but it will only be a few new tracks". Still, I'm happy with that. I understand that that's just how it is. The alternative is they could just say the old OA is just fine and not release anything new. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone had heard this information also, and possibly what will be added.

The Trout

If new OAs are indeed coming, California's has an embarrassment of riches to add on the DCA side. I suppose we just need to look at what's appeared since 2008 and theorize from there, realizing that 75% of the album will be music we already have (which, really, is fine, since this is a souvenir album).

stevek

I remember the days when we knew these were coming in advance and had all of the tracklisting information from Randy before the release. Let's hope we get some new great stuff on these releases. As you say, DCA alone could give us quite a few new tracks between Carsland, Mermaid, & Buena Vista Street alone.

BookPodder

I'm a Noob!
Randy Thornton did an excellent presentation on the Lost Chords project at the D23 Expo last week and, at the end, made some comments regarding the "Official Album" releases. He reminded the audience that the intended consumer of these sets are the theme park visitor and not us diehard collectors so, of course, we'll be getting our 15th copy of Grim Grinning Ghosts, etc.

Good news this time around is that the albums will be made available through digital music services so that, for those who only want the "new" tracks, they will be able to pick and choose which tracks they purchase through iTunes, Amazon or Disney's own online music store.

I, for one, still want the physical CDs and was somewhat baffled as to why Disney didn't make them available for sale just over a week early at the Expo. Considering they were selling books early (with publication dates as far out as October), it seems they could have picked up some sales from all of the diehards in town for the event.

monorail91

I agree, plus with the official albums (reportedly) only being made available at their respective resorts, that will likely deter sales. I'm less likely to buy the WDW Resort album now that I have to pay shipping too!

BookPodder

I'm a Noob!
It looks like the digital downloads of the two new albums have gone live on both iTunes and Amazon and, unfortunately, it appears that a number of the new tracks are "Album Only" downloads, despite what Randy had hoped would be the case when he spoke about it at D23. Hate to have to buy each, from two different places, via phone calls and US mail. Maybe I'll be able to resist for a bit in hopes that Disneystore.com may begin to sell the physical sets online.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I just picked up the new CD at Disney's Animal Kingdom a few minutes ago. :)

I'm debating whether or not I should toss the CD into the Magic Music Store in order to help cover some of the expenses around here.

The Trout

Ugh, yeah, some new Mermaid track is "album only," on every platform. That's... pretty much infuriating.

eabiggins

How much are they in the parks? I'm debating the old download vs physical copy conundrum.

Also, does anyone know what the quality/bitrates from the various download sources is? (Amazon, iTunes, Google, Disneymusicstore)

The Trout

Amazon: 256kbps MP3.
iTunes: 256kbps AAC.
Google: 320kbps MP3.

Google is the best for audio quality, followed by iTunes, then Amazon.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
eabiggins said:
How much are they in the parks?
$24.98 + tax (6.5% - 7.0% depending on where you're standing in WDW).

The Trout said:
Google is the best for audio quality, followed by iTunes, then Amazon.
AAC is superior to MP3, so Google vs iTunes is most likely a wash. Myself, I'm not into "lossy," so I'll stick to ripping my own CDs as Apple Lossless. :p

The Trout

AAC is superior, true, though a 320kbps MP3 is still superior to an iTunes download. That said, I'm with you. Everything on my computer is FLAC, as much as possible, anyway.

That said, getting park CDs in AZ is kind of annoying for me, so I'll probably bite the digital bullet.

Paul

One of the problems with digital download is there aren;t any liner notes. Are the WDW Casey Jr. and Circus Parade tracks from Dumbo or the Circus Tent or the Casey Jr. Splash area? Is WDW Flitterin' from the new Main Street loop or is it carried over from the old loop?

Where is Pecos Bill, Touch the Sky, and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo from in Disneyland?

Compared to past updates of the "Official Album" there were a significant amount of new tracks. Past albums sometimes only changed a couple tracks. It appears the Little Mermaid Medley tracks are identical except the beginning of the WDW track contains some queue line music.

Overall they seem like great CDs for the average park goer with a good variety. Hopefully they will sell well so that Disney keeps releasing new material.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Paul said:
Are the WDW Casey Jr. and Circus Parade tracks from Dumbo or the Circus Tent or the Casey Jr. Splash area? Is WDW Flitterin' from the new Main Street loop or is it carried over from the old loop?
According to the back of the CD:

Be Our Guest - Be Our Guest Restaurant
The Little Mermaid Medley - Journey of the Little Mermaid
Circus Parade - Storybook Circus
Casey Jr. - Splash 'n' Soak Station
Test Track - Test Track
Flitterin' - Main Street
The Throne Room - Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
You've Got a Friend in Me - Pixar Place
Hot Potato - Toy Story Midway Mania