Disney and Disneyesque Music to Enhance a Visit to Disneyland

Some of my most favorite pieces of music, both obscure and well-known, are not used in Disneyland even though, if they were, they would greatly enhance my experiences there. So, during those odd occasions when I visit by myself, I sometimes bring an iPod with me.

I have an extensive playlist of my own design to which I listen both within and without Disneyland, and I thought I would share a few of those tracks that may be of interest to some of you out there.

I also hope that if you know of any other interesting Disneyland-inspired works that you might suggest them in this thread, as well.

Many of my favorites come from the soundtrack to Disney's "Newsies", which is set in the turn of the 19th Century. Among these is J.A.C. Redford's "Rooftop", which is based on Alan Menken's "Santa Fe".

When I listen to the lush and romantic "Rooftop", I think of Town Square and Main Street Station, and I just as easily imagine Frontierland when I hear "Santa Fe", itself. Unfortunately, I've never been able to obtain an instrumental version of that song despite my great interest in doing so.

The finale to the film also expresses a dignity and a vulnerability that makes the coming of age of the main character grandiose in a way that reminds me of Mr. Disney's own portentous coming of age in middle America at that same time. So, for these reasons, this piece also fits well in my conception of Town Square.

I would love to hear, not only a specially-written musical score for the Disneyland Railroad in order to help describe each of the four cardinal realms of The Magic Kingdom, but some of the following music at the four station-stops, as well. The Erich Kunzel orchestral version of the "Baroque Hoedown" seems particularly appropriate for the Inner Lobby of Disneyland and, in turn, Main Street Station. Frontierland Station needs an instrumental, Dixieland version of "Zip A Dee Doo Dah" to help establish the theme before the trains travel into Splash Mountain and hear the full song used in the finale there. Toontown Depot is best considered as a transitional element between Mickey's Toontown and the rest of Fantasyland, so, for this reason, and because of the way that the architecture of the station echoes Mickey's bungalow, "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" is a perfect choice. And, since, each of these three pieces of music are among the most important in Disneyan culture, "When You Wish upon a Star" would complete the collection at Tomorrowland Station, but, for this stop, I prefer John Williams' finale to "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", which encompasses themes from the former piece.

The playlist I've compiled is still a work in progress, but I'll post portions of it to this thread later today. In the meantime, what great music would you recommend I investigate?

Downtown Disney in the daytime makes me think of the musical scores composed for the Disneyland documentaries of Disney's flagship television series, as well as music played in the International Gardens at the 1964-65 New York World's Fair, such as "Nation on Wheels" and "Flyin' Ford". Additionally, "Music to Buy Toasters by", "Mirror Maze", and "World of Tomorrow" can provide background music there that is both non-descript and uniquely Disney.

In the evening, especially, being in the central part of the Outer Lobby and hearing "The World Is a Carousel of Color" recalls the wonderful feeling the 1960's television version of Sleeping Beauty Castle gives me. I haven't had much luck finding an instrumental version of the song, though.

Now what I hope to do sometime is download the old ride soundtracks to my mp3 player and walk/ride the replacement attractions and listen to the old tracks. ex, sit in Golden Horshoe and listen to the original show with Wally Boag or enter Star Wars while listening to Adventure Through Inner Space track. Anybody done this?