Disney Albums We'll Never See Released?

dalvarad

While browsing through my Disney LPs the other day, I came across the Orange Bird album (with Anita Bryant) in my collection. Regardless of my own personal opinion on Ms. Bryant's beliefs, I would love to see the album released since it is a part of Disney (and Walt Disney World) history. I would imagine that this album may never be re-released on iTunes or other form due to Ms. Bryant's controversial reputation. Are there any other Disney releases that may never be released due to their controversial nature (like Song of the South) or affiliation with someone who is controversial? Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before...

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
What is the connection between this album [The Orange Bird] and WDW?
Go directly to Jail — do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

gallery_321_1_22500.jpg
gallery_321_1_12880.jpg

"In 1968 the Florida Citrus Commission had signed Anita Bryant, a former Miss America contestant, as their official spokesperson. Three years later with the opening of the Magic Kingdom theme park in Florida, she was teamed with the Disney created bird mascot in publicity photos and commercials, most of which ended with the line, "from the Sunshine Tree."

The little Orange Bird was developed as part of a commercial sponsorship agreement with Florida Orange Growers. The bird was to be "the friendly face of Florida sunshine and fresh squeezed Florida orange juice".

Walt Disney Productions entered into negotiations with the Florida Citrus Commission (FCC) for a Florida Citrus Growers sponsored Magic Kingdom attraction in 1967. A contract was signed on Oct. 22, 1969, formalizing the FCC's underwriting of a "tropical bird show" at a cost of $3 million. The following year, 1970, WED Enterprises created the Orange Bird character to serve as the FCC's official mascot in promotional campaigns.

The character was designed by C. Robert "Bob" Moore who handled many special projects for the Disney Company including designing the Walt Disney postage stamp and the eagle mascot for the 1984 Olympic games.

On the roads to the Magic Kingdom, visitors would see billboards, souvenir stands and other advertisements showcasing the Orange Bird. Once those visitors actually visited the Magic Kingdom, they found the little bird in his permanent home: the Sunshine Tree Terrace in Adventureland.

When the Tropical Serenade show (a duplicate of Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room show) finished, guests exited by the Sunshine Tree Terrace for a cool dessert and sometimes a visit with none other than the Orange Bird himself."

gallery_321_1_8383.jpg

Orange Thoughts of an Orange Bird

Horizons

Playlist Author
On the roads to the Magic Kingdom, visitors would see billboards, souvenir stands and other advertisements showcasing the Orange Bird. Once those visitors actually visited the Magic Kingdom, they found the little bird in his permanent home: the Sunshine Tree Terrace in Adventureland.

When the Tropical Serenade show (a duplicate of Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room show) finished, guests exited by the Sunshine Tree Terrace for a cool dessert and sometimes a visit with none other than the Orange Bird himself.”
Interesting. When the was use of the Orange Bird discontinued? I don't remember this from my early visits.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
When the was use of the Orange Bird discontinued? I don't remember this from my early visits.
The Orange Bird was present from 1971 to 1986. You could still find him outside of Walt Disney World through the early 1990s. He has recently seen a resurgence in popularity among Tokyo Disneyland guests.

Horizons

Playlist Author
The Orange Bird was present from 1971 to 1986. You could still find him outside of Walt Disney World through the early 1990s. He has recently seen a resurgence in popularity among Tokyo Disneyland guests.
Thanks for the information. I'm going to go through my early souvenirs/pictures and see if I have anything related to this, because I sure don't recall seeing it before.

Joseph

Ken,

For your information, you've listed the speed for that Orange Bird EP as 45rpm. The FS series actually plays at 33 1/3 rpm.

Horizons

Playlist Author
It's back! :blink: :(