Blue Lagoon Restaurant [DLRP]

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Anyone got a good ear for marimbas?
For some years now we have been trying to decide if there is a loop for the interior of the Blue Lagoon restaurant in DLRP (it's located inside the POC) but we've not actually eaten there since collecting the playlists. DavidG was sure he heard tam tams or something playing. Both needmagic and I have had no luck hearing anything obvious playing from the ride or just outside the door in recent years or looking back on home videos taken from the POC.
Today I found a short video on Youtube which does, indeed, have something playing. It'd very quiet and possibly only plays near the entrance to the restaurant and fades out nearer the POC ride where POC music "takes over" and drowns it out.
We're both off to DLRP soon and we hope to check and possibly manage a recording but, on the offchance, does anyone recognize what's playing. The Balafon maybe? My ears are just not sharp enough for this style of music.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
It's a difficult restaurant this one as far as audio goes. The restaurant is open to the fist section of POC along one whole side so the music from the ride is heard as background music. The music appears to play nearer the entrance by some reeded roofs. The snag is that it's a table service restaurant and (apart from the fact it's pretty expensive in there), there's absolutely nothing there I could eat without a handy stomach pump close to hand). Dedication is one thing!
Where on Earth those pictures of the pirates and the music from the Pirate Cove loop come into it I have no idea as that's the exterior area loop which doesn't play inside the ride! It's certainly not an obvious loop when heard from the ride (if it's even playing). Maybe it only plays at certain times even.
Looks like I may have to grit my teeth and try the tuna in banana leaf after all - or I could try pretending I'm just going in to see someone who's eating IN there............
Thanks for that second link.

DavidG

Where on Earth those pictures of the pirates and the music from the Pirate Cove loop come into it I have no idea as that's the exterior area loop which doesn't play inside the ride! It's certainly not an obvious loop when heard from the ride (if it's even playing). Maybe it only plays at certain times even.

The Pirates Cove loop plays in the reception and waiting area of the restaurant (where the POTC artwork is displayed), you're right in that it doesn't play during the ride. The Blue Lagoon-specific marimba/percussion loop only plays once you step "out" into the actual Lagoon dining room.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Checking the last 19 years of videos of the start of the POC ride, there's maybe just a hint of the loop on only one or two of them.
I wonder if it only plays at certain times of the day or (all to familiar with DLRP) it keeps breaking down.
We're determined to get this sorted this year. Is it a fairly quiet background loop? Can't understand why I don't pick it up on the mic.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Is it a fairly quiet background loop? Can't understand why I don't pick it up on the mic.

Is the music coming from ceiling speakers? You need to position yourself as close as possible to one of them and, preferably, use a shotgun microphone.

As for time of day, I would try to be at the restaurant at opening or closing when it's less busy/noisy.

Why is it again that we care about this sort of stuff? :wacko:

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Is it a fairly quiet background loop? Can't understand why I don't pick it up on the mic.

Is the music coming from ceiling speakers? You need to position yourself as close as possible to one of them and, preferably, use a shotgun microphone.

As for time of day, I would try to be at the restaurant at opening or closing when it's less busy/noisy.

Why is it again that we care about this sort of stuff? :wacko:

My mic is on my videocam but it's pretty good direction-wise so, if it was pointing towards the speakers (wherever they are) it should have picked up the audio as the POC stuff isn't that loud at the start of the ride and the POC speakers are on the right of the boat and the restaurant is on the left.
I have a feeling that the speakers are going to be along one wall of the restaurant to blend with both loops creating a "stereo" effect. Marimba loop from one side and POC from the other. Maybe I'll find out in August!
I wonder if you can just have a starter to get in :D It's really expensive in there (the starters cost as much as a main meal elsewhere in the park) and, as I said, they serve nothing I'd say "yum" to and half the stuff has peppers in them (not sure what you call those in the US - sweet peppers? bell peppers? - usually red or green and fist size) which I have an allergy to.

I'm not sure why I should care either :blink:

DavidG

IIRC, the music is coming from speakers hidden in the thatched roof above the tables. It is very low and you might pick it up clearly only in specific spots... not least because of the ride's SFX.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
IIRC, the music is coming from speakers hidden in the thatched roof above the tables. It is very low and you might pick it up clearly only in specific spots... not least because of the ride's SFX.

Thanks for that information. That would explain why (without actually eating there) it's so hit and miss.
As I said, I'd always thought the odd percussion was a part of the ride as, usually, you can hear the restaurant loops from near the entrance doors. I think that I may be right that it's intentional that you hear the ride SFX and the loop together to add to the atmosphere. That makes sense and explains why it's more ambient than most. The siting of the speakers also explains why my videos only pick up occasional sounds - it's when the mic is pointing right at the speaker when the boat goes past it.
This could turn into quite a quest over a few years :eek:
Thanks again.

needmagic

DLRP Obsessed
Premium Member
Playlist Author
Blue Lagoon was originally on my radar during next weeks visit - I'm a sucker for good seafood. Unfortunately other priorities have put this on the backburner, unless I get ahead of schedule. On the other hand it makes a good excuse to book another trip and dust down the ATR55!

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Blue Lagoon was originally on my radar during next weeks visit - I'm a sucker for good seafood. Unfortunately other priorities have put this on the backburner, unless I get ahead of schedule. On the other hand it makes a good excuse to book another trip and dust down the ATR55!

Maybe cause an emergency stop on the ride just as the boat is going past............... B)

needmagic

DLRP Obsessed
Premium Member
Playlist Author
Knowing my luck it would stop just by the waterfall around the corner!

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Knowing my luck it would stop just by the waterfall around the corner!

Well, I did get that stoppage right outside the ballroom in Phantom Manor so long video of the banquet and dancers plus full evacuation spiel :D Unfortunately they kept saying "no photos, no videos" once we got out of the buggies. They turned the audio off as well.
Best I've managed on the POC was stuck halfway up the first lift (sound of rushing water and they turned the audio off there as well. At least I got a few "lights on" scenes on the way out as we were still in the boats.
Says a lot when you go past a speaker and your brain says "break down, break down"! :lol:

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Pleased to say this one's wrapped up now. Filmographik filled in the last few unknown tracks and, wedroy1923 has noted the edits are slightly different between the parks. It's shared with WDW at El Pirata y el Perico

The Trout

This is insane. Disneyland Paris appears to inexplicably be doing what we've begged Disney to do for years: producing area music CDs. I'm downright gobsmacked.

ebbelein

Yes, and since this sounds too good to be true, i would really like to know whether this is real or a fan-made thing by a really talented cover designer... Before i call dlrp mail order department :)

markjochems

Just contacted the DLP Mail Order department. They have no information in their system regarding these releases. Even sent them the pictures by e-mail to verify. It sames this is NOT an official release! Same for the World of Disney CD.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Filmographik makes some wonderful CD covers for the DLRP loops ;) Very professional too and great detailing (note that 20th logo).
I'm fairly sure that they haven't started issuing the area loops at DLRP :D
Got you all going though, didn't it! Now, do I hope that I'm wrong or not :ninja:

Mind you, could it be the cover of the internal CD they use in the restaurant? There's food for thought (sorry).