1. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Big John and the Buzzards

Discussion in 'Disney Recordings' started by Steve LeVine, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Steve LeVine

Steve LeVine Member

I had to share this with somebody and none of my friends care about Disney related music. For many years I have had a CD box set called :cd: The Okeh Rhythm & Blues Story 1949-1957. One of my favorite songs on the CD is called :mp3: Your Cash Ain't Nothin' But Trash by a group called Big John and the Buzzards. The lead singer has a very deep voice and I always wondered if he did any other songs.

Yesterday I finally got motivated enough to look them up online. Much to my surprise Big John and the Buzzards was the made up name of a group called The Mellomen who were led by Thurl Ravenscroft. In my head I always pictured the lead singer being a big black guy who was fronting an all black group. Never did I put 2 and 2 together and figure out that the singer was none other then the voice of Tony the Tiger and many Disney characters and attractions. Not sure if i am allowed to do this but i am attaching the song to this post so you can all hear it. Once you know its Thurl it definitely sounds like him but I never knew til yesterday and I bet I have had the box set for more then 15 years.

[Attachment removed. You can listen to a sample and/or purchase this commercially available song here. —Admin]

2. makeminemusic

makeminemusic Member

I can hear Thurl in the song for sure. Not sure about the rest, if they are the same Mellomen as on WDL-3012 Meet Me On Main Street.