1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

At 95, "Georgie Russel" passes on.....

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Michael Zielski, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Michael Zielski

Michael Zielski Member

"Howdy there.....my name is Georgie Russel." Buddy Ebsen's narration and singing on the Johnny Appleseed Storyteller 45 I listened to as a child(and still enjoy today) will always hold a special place in my memories. Buddy was Davy Crockett's sidekick, as well as many other film characters throughout his long career. It wasn't until fairly recently that I learned of his critical role in the development of Walt's audio-animatronics. As you all may know, in the early 1950's, as part of Walt's venture into a new field of entertainment, Buddy was filmed for study against a measured grid performing a vaudeville number; his moves were then transferred to a nine-inch dancing man by studio artists--"Project Little Man"(currently on display in the Walt Disney tribute at Disney-MGM Studios!). This miniature concept was later scrapped, to become the life-size audio-animatronics that are an essential part of the experience at Walt's theme parks(see "Disneyland The Nickel Tour," by Bruce Gordon and David Mumford).

Thank you for everything, Buddy--a job beautifully done!

Mike