1. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Annette's Beach Party

Discussion in 'Disney Recordings' started by Magic Music, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Randy Thornton

Randy Thornton Member

Well, I'm reminded of a scene from Bambi -

"Thumper, what did your father tell you?"

2. Horizons

Horizons Playlist Author

Well, on the positive side, new music going forward may have a better chance of getting out. However, all of the lost gems seem to be stuck in the vaults for good. What a shame to have such wonderful music sitting where no one is enjoying it.

3. WDWGuy08

WDWGuy08 Member

i second that! it is a shame to have such wonderful music from retired attractions just sitting around in a vault doing nothing. reminds me of lumiere,

"life is so unnerving for a track whose not playing, he's not whole without a ear to play in, ah those good ol days when we were in use, suddenly, those good ol days are gone. several years we've been rusting, needing so much more than dusting, needing exercise a chance to use our skills. most days, we just lay around the vault...flabby fat and lazy you walked in and brought us back!"

lol

please try to bring the music to our ears on a cd release in the future. let the music free and flow from the vault doors to our ears.

4. Randy Thornton

Randy Thornton Member

Hey Guys!

I've been blabbing waaay too much today. But this has been a great discussion!

I just want to make something clear. I don't want get your hopes up (or dash them), but timing is everything. By that I mean - nearly 80% of what I included on the "Musical History of Disneyland" was not recorded under a phono agreement and had to be paid for, and look how much stuff was on that beast. Those master recordings that currently sit silent in the vaults may very well have their day. It's just a matter of timing. I'm not just speaking of Park material, but everything. It took me 10 years to get "20,000 Leagues" out, and over 5 years of pushing and prodding to get the OK for the Disneyland set. Granted, you may be a doddering old man before you see a Bruce Broughton CD, but if that's when the time is right - that's when it'll happen.

Nothing is impossible. It just takes time and the right "thing" to make it a reality. You and I may want things NOW, but waiting for that "right moment" is what will not only allow for these great works of art to be released, but live happily ever after.

After all -

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

Randy

5. WDWGuy08

WDWGuy08 Member

i wish it didn't have to take so long. i have been waiting 14 years for timekeeper music, 19 years for dreamflight music and most of all 25 years for horizons music, namely the cue i mentioned earlier. please keep up the great work Randy and keep cranking out more new AND old unreleased music for us in the future.

6. Magic Music

Magic Music Administrator Playlist Author

Here's the plan:

Randy should send lossless backups of everything he's got to me. I will then set up an eCommerce site, sell CD copies to everyone, and then claim I'm giving a percentage to charity. This apparently works to keep Disney Legal at bay. However, since there is no law requiring that any particular percentage of your contributions must go toward the cause, I will keep 99% of the proceeds for myself.

So, what do you think of my plan?

Before you answer, remember what Randy said:

"Thumper, what did your father tell you?"

7. Gurgitoy2

Gurgitoy2 Active Member

"Will the Bourne stuff eventually enter the public domain?"

This is a good question. Would it be possible for Disney to then re-copyright that stuff when it does?

Thanks for the insight into the rights issues, Randy. It does help explain things, and I think most of that was what I expected.

However, you mentioned not having the phono agreement when doing the Disneyland 50th set. And, you sort of teased about more when the time is right. So....has Walt Disney World asked you to do any boxed sets for them for any upcoming anniversaries or events? They tend to get jealous of Disneyland attention (hence the awful 1998 WDW Official Album), so I thought they might want a set all their own. However, maybe they just don't care? Anyway, can you give any small hints?