1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

"A Whale of a Tale" lyric discrepancies?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Tannerman, May 28, 2003.

1. Tannerman

Tannerman Member

Like many of you, I picked up the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea DVD and have been enjoying it. We all love the signature song, A Whale of a Tale. After watching the movie, I pulled out my copy of Classic Disney, Vol. 1. Track 17 contains what appears to be a studio recording of this song. What's interesting is that there is a discrepancy in lyrics for verse 3 for some reason. Take a look at the lyrics from the original movie:
    The CD recording contains the following alternate set of lyrics:
    Any guess as to why there is a difference?

2. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Member

Perhaps it was considered politically incorrect to demean poor Hannah's looks. I mean, is it her fault that she was genetically predisposed to have a proboscis that could steer a ship?

Poor, poor Hannah... :'(

3. s8ntmark

s8ntmark Member

Forgive my missspellings, Im trying to type through the tears...

:'(

4. SharonKurland

SharonKurland Active Member

Like it's so politically correct to have Typhoon Tessie commiting adultery? To say nothing of all the blowing that was going on.......

-Sharon-

5. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

My guess would be that several verses were written for the song, some of which we probably didn't hear. Perhaps both were recorded for the film and communication with the music department wasn't as good as it could be, thus the alternate version being released.

What I wanna know is what does the line, "I'm there stranger mean?" I never got this.

6. SharonKurland

Well PERSONALLY, I can think up some VERY adult-rated stuff that it could have to do with, but it's Disney...it can't be . But if something was coming....a present or some grapefruits from Tampa or a person on vacation or something like that...eventually they get there.

"I'm there stranger." Hmmmm...I'm glad she was happy. That she had arrived, I mean.

OK I'll shut up now. But you'll probably never think of that song in quite the same way again .

-Sharon-

7. dtats

dtats Member

Being more familiar with the verse contained in the CD release, I always had a strong impression of what Harpoon Hannah might have looked like, judging solely from the way Kirk says that phrase, "I'm there, stranger." This inspired visualization was not pretty.

The thought of someone with Kirk's growly tone whispering this line in my ear is not too appealing. But , then again, I suppose all those days at sea can do strange things to some guys. :-X

Kirk's tone does suggest, however, why she was referred to as "Harpoon Hannah." ;)

8. SharonKurland

Y'know...we could start a WHOLE NEW THREAD, just about Innuendos in Disney Music. It's on topic and everything!

It's a small world after all...

9. dtats

dtats Member

Right, and we'd need another thread for those verses that didn't make it into the final cut. As mentioned previously, there may have been alternate verses that were written, yet not included in the versions we all know and love.

For example, the theme of this song revolves around the various girls this sailor has met in his various sea-going adventures. Well, I would think that he very well might have also had encounters with Syphilis Sally, Chancre Sherry, Gonorrhea Gwendolyn, and Herpes Hermine.

Imagine what some of the verses must have sounded like... :D

10. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Member

You forgot Crabby Abby and Appalonia Laws, better known to her her friends and lovers as "App The Clap."

I'm going to Hell. ;)

11. dtats

dtats Member

"You forgot Crabby Abby and Appalonia Laws, better known to her her friends and lovers as "App The Clap."

I'm going to Hell. "

Well then, bring some beer with you--the cooler is just about empty. ;)

"Then there was Syph'lis Sally, met her down near Ankara;
    After I'd kiss her, I'd see the doc to get a shot.
    Then one visit, I nearly lost it all;
    A m?nage ? trois with App the Clap
    cost me my left _ _ _ _!"

Oh, man, I'm in trouble now. 8)

12. SharonKurland

I can only imagine what Jeff in OC would add...

[​IMG]-Sharon-[​IMG]